Anyone driving k501's w/ a Hornet?
Jan 7, 2006 at 10:56 AM Post #3 of 4
This is somewhat of a reversal of opinion for me. I love my 501s — and my first experience of the Hornet was Ray's prototype. My experience was that the Hornet via the Overture DAC (Lan-mod) created a huge, exciting sound through the 501s that stunned me. The Hornet does have the power to drive the 501s with ease.

Listening to the 501s with my iPod 4G 40GB > Hornet (as a properly portable system) I feel that 501s are not the best pairing with the Hornet in this context, and that the HF-1s have wonderful synergy with the Hornet/iPod. The 501s are better paired with the Portaphile PV2^2 for iPod. The PV2^2 brings out the rich mids, warm (if modest) bass and big soundstage of the 501s with the iPod, while the HF-1s sound a bit more thick and sluggish in this pairing and really sparkle with the Hornet/iPod.

The 501s — compared to the HF-1s — with the Hornet/iPod sound rather thin, brittle and fatiguing, compared to the HF-1s which are deep, tight, fast, richly textured, very musical and thoroughly enjoyable with the Hornet/iPod.

The 501s do far better with the Hornet if used with a good DAC (Overture/MicroDAC work very well) than with the Hornet/iPod combo (though I still prefer Hornet+HF-1 and PV2^2+501).

Perhaps we'll see a good, really "micro"-sized DAC someday soon for true portability — and hopefully an iPod with optical out. Why does Apple always have their head in the sand while touting their products as the preferred A/V computers & pocket players? Even my Titanium Powerbook lacks optical or digital coax audio out while Apple hypes it as musicians' and filmmakers' laptop of choice! (End of rant.)

Jan 7, 2006 at 3:07 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Romanee
Listening to the 501s with my iPod 4G 40GB > Hornet (as a properly portable system) I feel that 501s are not the best pairing with the Hornet in this context, and that the HF-1s have wonderful synergy with the Hornet/iPod. The 501s are better paired with the Portaphile PV2^2 for Hornet/iPod. The PV2^2 brings out the rich mids, warm (if modest) bass and big soundstage of the 501s with the Hornet/iPod while the HF-1s sound a bit more thick and sluggish in this pairing.

The 501s — compared to the HF-1s — with the Hornet/iPod sound rather thin, brittle and fatiguing, compared to the HF-1s which are deep, tight, fast, richly textured, very musical and thoroughly enjoyable with the Hornet/iPod.

I don't have any experience with the Portaphile but it sounds like I should give it a try. Anyhow, I don't claim to be an expert or have golden ears. I am more of a music lover than an audiophile. It has taken a good deal of listening for me to arrive at appreciating aural differences in sound repro that others write about. Sometimes, I never get it, e.g. the allure of the HD-650. Having established my low level of high-fi credentials, I want to reiterate how much I enjoy the 4G ipod>hornet>501 rig.

There could be a number of reasons why Romanee & I have a different take.
  1. our listening history with other equipment
  2. my aging auditory system
  3. the genre of music we listen to
  4. our auditory "taste" (preferred emphasis on different frequencies)
  5. the quality of our music files
  6. use of the Hornet's sensitivity switch (I use the "mid" position)

One of the lessons I am gradually learning is that when two people disagree, it doesn't mean that one is wrong. They could both be right... or wrong.
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back