Anyone drive HD-600 directly off SACD player?
Jun 26, 2002 at 11:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

fmcgraw

New Head-Fier
I never got my phones last year when I began looking, ended up with some new speakers instead. I think I'm going to buy the HD-600's this weekend though, and am also considering a Sony 555ES SACD player.

I'm just curious if anyone has used this, or another SACD player to drive phones without using a dedicated headphone amp? How has it sounded? Is it any better than the headphone jacks on regular CD players or receivers? I hope to be able to demo it at the store myself anyway, but am curious on your thoughts. I'm really contemplating the player now, and then a headphone amp later.

Thanks for your comments and have a great weekend coming up!

David

Jun 26, 2002 at 11:25 PM Post #2 of 3
I am currently running my 600s off of my 333es. The sound out of the headphone jack I guess is bearable. However I still miss my MG Head greatly
frown.gif
The jack does seem to be faster than the MG Head, but thats because of the inherency of SS imo. The MG Head has a much fuller midrange(obviously) and has much better detail, highs and bass. When I first got the 333, the bass seemed really boomy, however since then it has tightened up considerably. I also got the Equinox cable after I sold my Head. It opens up the soundstage better than the MG Head did, but I would still take the MG Head over what I have now. I am expecting a Headmaster in 2 weeks or so, but I will be out of town by then.

Jun 26, 2002 at 11:48 PM Post #3 of 3
The headphone jacks on Sony SACD players are actually good imo for component jacks -- no high background noise or otherwise disgusting colorations that I could make out in limited store auditions. I haven't had a chance to hear the 333ES or other ES players at great length or in direct comparison to dedicated headamps, but the 775 that I own has a decent jack for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back