anyone dislike the ETYs?
Jan 17, 2005 at 3:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

MdRex

1000+ Head-Fier
I've heard of people hating the Sennheiser line of headphones, I've heard people who do not like the Shures, just curious, anyone actually dislike Etymotic phones?

Just curious
tongue.gif
NOT trying to start flame war
icon10.gif

Jan 17, 2005 at 6:11 PM Post #2 of 25
I will be the first to jump in. I dislike the Etys (ER4 series) for their comfort factor. I'm listening to my Shure E5C right now using tri-flange and the comfort is much better. I also like the E5C punchier sound. I, however, have to except that the ER-4s has amazing treble quality and their details are great too.

Jan 17, 2005 at 6:20 PM Post #3 of 25
Had the ER-6i for a week.

I was impressed with the isolation and detail in the upper mids to high frequencies. The Etys had great clarity and definition in those sounds.

I was horrified at the bass (or lack there of). It was awful, even when EQ'ed. For this reason alone, I had to send them back. They were also a bit*h to insert and pull out. They would create a vacuum in my ear and "pull" on my ear drum when coming out. Very painful to my sensitive ears.

Jan 17, 2005 at 7:17 PM Post #4 of 25
I've had a few pairs of ER4's over the years, and much prefer the sound of my Shures. With a good amp, all the E3c's are missing are some high frequency resolution and low end punch, easily sorted with a bit of EQ. The Ety's on the other hand, while very detailed and accurate, just sound sterile (to my ears, at least). The Shure house sound is eminently 'listenable' and musical IMHO.

Jan 17, 2005 at 8:03 PM Post #5 of 25
Dislike - yes. Hate - no. They're very uncomfortable, tipped-up, lack bass, and are sibiliant/do weird things to female vocals. I will be selling my ER-4S the first chance I get. They just don't do it for me, and every time I take them out I let out a sigh or relief from the sonic and physical pain.

Jan 17, 2005 at 8:17 PM Post #6 of 25
I like shures over etys. I have only heard E3's though from the shure line and ER4 and 6i from the ety line. I kind of like etys Er4's high end frequencies, except when they get annoying, however at the same time I dislike the ER4 and Er6i, because of their horribly thin sound. This is one of the reasons I chose the E3s over the ety's. The shures sound fuller, and the etys sound way to thin.

Jan 17, 2005 at 8:20 PM Post #7 of 25
I dislike the Etys for their artificial sound that sounds as if it's been passed through a "sharpen" filter. They also lack midrange and bass detail, not to say mass.

Jan 17, 2005 at 8:39 PM Post #8 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by kyrie
I dislike the Etys for their artificial sound that sounds as if it's been passed through a "sharpen" filter.

Absolutely brilliant way to describe the sound of the Etys!!

Jan 17, 2005 at 8:43 PM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by ServinginEcuador
Absolutely brilliant way to describe the sound of the Etys!!

Agreed.

I love their transparency, clarity and detail, but i dislike how they can sound aritficial. I also dislike their lack of bass, and of course their comfort (more than 2 hours of use = OUCH!)

Regards,
Dan

Jan 17, 2005 at 8:51 PM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by kyrie
I dislike the Etys for their artificial sound that sounds as if it's been passed through a "sharpen" filter. They also lack midrange and bass detail, not to say mass.

I use Ety ER4-P on a Creative Zen Touch : no artificial sound, good bass and great details...
What is your source?

Jan 17, 2005 at 9:48 PM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Iriver
That is part of why I dislike the ety sound. It is artificial as described, and horribly thin.

no... Ety ER4-P are not "horribly thin"... you can dislike ety's sound signature without write excessive opinions...
I dislike Shure e3C's sound but i don't write " Sound's Shure is horrible : no details,no clarity and pathetic treble"...

Jan 17, 2005 at 9:49 PM Post #13 of 25
Hated my 4ps, no bass and very exaggerated highs - to my ears this sound bears no resemblance to reality and is definitely not faithful to the original recording.

Some people really love it though, so as ever it's a matter of taste and opinion.

Jan 17, 2005 at 10:22 PM Post #14 of 25
i have only tried 1 pair of Etys 6i and 2 senheiser, and i hated all of them. PX200 had poor sound to me and HD280 did as well. 6i had no bass and hurt my ears. I will probobly never get Ety again, senheiser i may try the PX100.

Jan 17, 2005 at 10:39 PM Post #15 of 25
im pretty much over my ER6's and canal phones in general. i never listen to them anymore, i think i'm going to look for a over the ear phone for my ipod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back