Anyone dare to compare portable amps with full sized amps?
Apr 24, 2012 at 4:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

DNZGamer

100+ Head-Fier
Could not find any direct comparisons in my search.

I still don't have a full sized amp but I've recently been in love with my Headstage Arrow. A huge upgrade over the E11. I was also told that the Ray Samuel Hornet was a much better amp but having exchanged amps, I honestly could not tell that it was better. Considering I love the bass boost and treble boost of the Headstage Arrow, I would say that sound wise, I much prefer the Headstage Arrow and its ability to bring so much energy and bass with its toggles. Maybe I just don't have sensitive ears but The Hornet was not a dramatic difference for me and I almost felt like I was trying to hard to assume that it sounds better.

So that brings me to my curiosity in terms of full sized amps. I remember seeing awhile ago some guy who attacked portable amp users and was basically trying to put down all portable amp users as basically wasting their time and money and that we may as well connect to sources directly. Lots of people also came in to agree.

Makes me sad but even more curious about "real amps". A Headstage Arrow 4g is $300. If I was to put it head to head with something like the Little Dot MKIII (sub $200), how would it fair? 

What level of performance does the Ray Samuel Hornet achieve? Would it be competing in SQ with sub $200 or sub $100 desktop amps? I guess this question is also partly to solve which full sized amp I am going to get as it might tell me what is a significant upgrade compared to what I have now.

You don't have to limit yourself to these amps, feel free to compare any amps you've used. Would also love to hear from Grado users. 

Apr 24, 2012 at 5:12 PM Post #2 of 2
Minibox-E+/ES shames the Tiangyung Zero.
Awesome portable amp to pair with Grados, to boot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back