Anyone considering Tomahawk for non IEM's/regular phones
Nov 9, 2006 at 1:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

shawntp

100+ Head-Fier
I think I am going to pick this up and give it a shot with my work-in-progress portable ipod based rig.

That rig is currently a 5.5G ipod > Silk Line out > AMP NEEDED > Grado MS2i's.

I was sort of interested by the comments about the Tomahawk being designed for headphones with lower sensitivities (which grado's certainly are).

"The Tomahawk has a 2 position gain switch. The "low" gain of (1) which is dedicated to all IEMs and the "high" gain of (3) which is designed to drive the low impedance headphones."

I also emailed RSA and he indicated that the Tomahawk should do a great job driving Grado's. I had been looking for something with good battery life to use with an around the house/travel iPod system with a budget somewhere between the Airhead and the Hornet (looking for a quality between those units also). Being on the pre-rder list for $250 hits the wallet mark perfect. I think the tomahawk could be a winner / is worth a try for the price.

Anyone else considered or auditioned this with non IEM's at the recent meet.

Nov 9, 2006 at 7:11 PM Post #2 of 8
For work I use a transportable rig. Currently it consists of:

4th Gen 60 Gb iPod Photo => ALO Six Shooter => The Hornet "M" => AKG K501 or Beyer 2005 DT990

I listen at very low volumes and I ordered one to try out. In the configuration described above I have The Hornet "M" on low gain and I rarely go beyond 9 O'clock on the volume pot.

Edit 1: I also have a Supermacro-LE on order to compare with.

Nov 9, 2006 at 7:14 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by shawntp
I think I am going to pick this up and give it a shot with my work-in-progress portable ipod based rig.

That rig is currently a 5.5G ipod > Silk Line out > AMP NEEDED > Grado MS2i's.

I was sort of interested by the comments about the Tomahawk being designed for headphones with lower sensitivities (which grado's certainly are).

"The Tomahawk has a 2 position gain switch. The "low" gain of (1) which is dedicated to all IEMs and the "high" gain of (3) which is designed to drive the low impedance headphones."

I also emailed RSA and he indicated that the Tomahawk should do a great job driving Grado's. I had been looking for something with good battery life to use with an around the house/travel iPod system with a budget somewhere between the Airhead and the Hornet (looking for a quality between those units also). Being on the pre-rder list for $250 hits the wallet mark perfect. I think the tomahawk could be a winner / is worth a try for the price.

Anyone else considered or auditioned this with non IEM's at the recent meet.

I'm using a similar setup at work, and waiting anxiously in line for the Tomahawk. I made my decision based on the listed features above.

I also wish to see some impressions of the tomahawk from someone who had the rare chance of the "First encounter".
rs1smile.gif

Nov 9, 2006 at 7:16 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo
For work I use a transportable rig. Currently it consists of:

4th Gen 60 Gb iPod Photo => ALO Six Shooter => The Hornet "M" => AKG K501 or Beyer 2005 DT990

I listen at very low volumes and I ordered one to try out. In the configuration described above I have The Hornet "M" on low gain and I rarely go beyond 9 O'clock on the volume pot.

Edit 1: I also have a Supermacro-LE on order to compare with.

Is the Tomahawk a miniature version of the Hornet "M" ?

Nov 9, 2006 at 7:19 PM Post #5 of 8
I've got phones of 32, 80, and 400 ohm impedance. I will try the Tomahawk out with all of them, but I can almost guarantee that it won't work well with the K340. Nothing against Ray or his design, but the K340 is very hard to drive, and an amp with 2 AAA batteries just won't be able to provide the oomph for it. Who knows though, it could sound good at low volumes. I tried the Hornet with my K340's and I really liked it. The only problem with that was it too just didn't have enough raw power.

However, I've heard some good things about the Tomahawk with Grado's, so I will try it out with my pair, and I will throw my DT-770's at it also. Apparently, despite its small size, it packs a decent punch.

Aditya

Nov 9, 2006 at 9:13 PM Post #7 of 8
i read some initial impressions from the NYC meet thread and some said its a very neutral sounding amp
confused.gif
... i wonder how that's going to pair with the UE-10pro...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back