anyone compared monoprice cables to others?
Apr 4, 2010 at 8:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

rhythmdevils

Member of the Trade: rhythmdevils audio
They are so cheap, but they appear to be built well. I'm just curious if anyone has had any bad experiences with them or compared them to other budget cables. I'll be using them with a DAC and my powered Mackie Monitors.

A 6 foot monoprice pro cable is 7 bucks, and the blue jeans cable is 37. They're both cheap compared to others, but I could use 30 bucks, that's about 4 burritos....

Apr 9, 2010 at 5:50 AM Post #2 of 8
Monoprice has always been a great value for the quality you get.

They haven't let me down yet.

Apr 10, 2010 at 1:39 PM Post #3 of 8
Man those must be damn big burritos! LOL I have Monoprice and thin they are great for the money. Never got a bad one yet.

Apr 10, 2010 at 5:49 PM Post #4 of 8
The construction of Monoprice cables, especially their pro or deluxe, or whatever cables, are ridiculously robust. Almost to a negative point (their short deluxe mini to rca cable was too stiff to use on my desktop, but would work just fine for a longer run behind equipment).

I use their cables exclusively for video (returned both Monster and Radioshack component and HDMI cables). Their data (USB, ethernet) cables are killer as well. I am a DIY'er when it comes to audio cables, but the ones I tried awhile back definitely didn't sound bad. If you are going to go budget, you might as go all the way with Monoprice. I really don't think you can do better unless you go up to more exotic materials.

Apr 10, 2010 at 6:04 PM Post #5 of 8
I got mine in the mail. I'm having a member here build me a pair of nice cables, but I was impatient and these were so cheap I figured I'd compare them.

They do look great. There's something about the connector that looks cheap, maybe cause it's all plastic. But it isn't flimsy at all. Looks about the same as the Monster cable I have. Sounds fine so far, but I'll see when the nice handmade cable comes in.

Apr 10, 2010 at 10:17 PM Post #6 of 8
The molded rubber/plastic does look a little cheap, but the actual contact points are really nice. Rounded and thick with a split pin. Nicer than a lot of RCA's I have worked with that cost more than a whole monoprice cable. Please do post back with your comparisons.

Apr 10, 2010 at 10:31 PM Post #7 of 8
yeah for sure, they fit with just the right amount of friction too. The only part of the plug that looks cheap is the red and white R/L color bands, which are cheap plastic, but that's the least important part of the cable, so i don't care. I'm not the best at comparing IC's within a setup, usually the differences seem very subtle, and it takes so long to switch it's hard to tell. But I'll let yall know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back