Anyone compared Bose AE to AE2?
Dec 23, 2010 at 8:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

bangraman

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm liking the fold-flat feature. And since the AE has been a fixture for the last few years I've thought about upgrading it. Any notes of differences? Improvements?

Dec 23, 2010 at 9:58 AM Post #2 of 16
I am hoping someone offers a real comparison instead of endless posts with pithy phrases including Buy Other Sound Equipment, No High No Lows it must be Bose, Friends don't let Friends Buy Bose, etc.

On topic, I would also like to hear an opinion of the IE vs. IE2. I have the IE and use them in situations wee I need to hear what is going on around me. For earbuds (not IEMs) I think they sound pretty good. So other than the Stay Hear tips I wonder if the IE2 is improved in any meaningful way. BTW, if you have the IE and have a problem with the fit, you can order the Stay Hear tips from Bose and they fit the IE. They are around $8 with free shipping.

Dec 24, 2010 at 9:59 PM Post #3 of 16
It was a long shot. I was pretty much assuming I'll have to find out myself given the 'expert' peer-group reaction to Bose. But hey, worth a try. (I find Apple-loving Bose-bashers the funniest
tongue.gif
)

Off to John Lewis I guess...

Dec 24, 2010 at 10:14 PM Post #4 of 16
I demo'd them so take this with a grain of salt, especially since I had a cold and stuffed up head when I used them

They're a lot more balanced and less colored, and actually almost the price they're selling for, if you like the type of sound and the whole package of the AE's. It's a definite upgrade imo. Again, take this with a grain, or a couple thousand at that, of salt. My hearing was off then. But I do know it's better than the AE1's. I'm actually somewhat tempted to buy one if I can find it under $100.

Dec 24, 2010 at 10:35 PM Post #5 of 16

Quote:
I demo'd them so take this with a grain of salt, especially since I had a cold and stuffed up head when I used them

They're a lot more balanced and less colored, and actually almost the price they're selling for, if you like the type of sound and the whole package of the AE's. It's a definite upgrade imo. Again, take this with a grain, or a couple thousand at that, of salt. My hearing was off then. But I do know it's better than the AE1's. I'm actually somewhat tempted to buy one if I can find it under $100.

I find the comparative honkiness of the AE's probably the most objectionable attribute, but in terms of the weight, comfort + usable isolation combo and socially acceptable on-head styling, they've been pretty unassilable so far. With the AE2 the weight's gone up to be on a par with the HD25-1, so I'm hoping they haven't screwed up on the comfort.

So they're coloured, but in terms of relatives I can't understand how someone can trash these in one breath and then go onto to wholeheartedly recommend e.g. the K518 or the ES7 (which is basically AE + blanket) in the other.

I'll buy them and maybe finally wave farewell to the AE's. They've actually been among my longest-lived phones.

Dec 28, 2010 at 3:13 PM Post #6 of 16

I've just picked up mine. I've been comparing them to my old AEs for the last hour. First impressions... Wow. Will post a detailed review in the next few days.

Dec 28, 2010 at 4:32 PM Post #7 of 16
I think that the ES7 is a far more harsh headphone than the AE2.  Now I say that based only on my listening to the Bose on store display only.  But they seemed much warmer and less fatiguing to me than my ES7's do.  And I like my ES7's quite a bit.  They are very in your face and a rather fun headphone.  But probably not something that I can personally listen to every minute of the day. 

Dec 29, 2010 at 12:10 AM Post #9 of 16

Depends if you're peeing up wind or down wind! 
eek.gif
  LOL.
All kidding aside.  I only gave an opinion about the harshness of the ES7 compared to the Bose. I wasn't offering any sort of detailed insight on the Bose.  But I should think it would take less than 5 minutes to determine if a headphone was harsh compared to a headphone that you have a lot of experience with.  But hey, at least I've actually had the AE2 on my head....there's plenty of Bose Bashing around here from people that have never heard a note played on them. 

I used to own the QC3 and they were warm and lush but lacked a great bit of detail. 
Quote:
Quote:
Now I say that based only on my listening to the Bose on store display only.

Now I think I've been saying for about 7 years that this is worthless (as is practically any meet) as a way of developing an anywhere near worthwhile opinion about any phone. It's like peeing into the wind.

Jan 5, 2011 at 10:11 AM Post #10 of 16
I tried them both briefly (esp the AE2) and.......AE1 HONKY; AE2 NOT HONKY.          Regards

Jan 29, 2011 at 11:37 AM Post #13 of 16

Quote:

I've just picked up mine. I've been comparing them to my old AEs for the last hour. First impressions... Wow. Will post a detailed review in the next few days.

Hey where's your detailed review man?

Feb 1, 2011 at 8:44 PM Post #15 of 16
IE vs IE2 the IE2 is better tone wise, having a much more controlled bass and better treble, it is also more detailed but still lacks behind other comparable IEM's and buds. I like it enough I will use it when need to hear whereas my IE were relegated to bed time sleepy music only. I have to say the new tips add a TON to these in regards to functionality and they are still the most comfortable IEM/bud I have ever used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back