Anyone compare VDA/2 vs DAC60?
Mar 27, 2007 at 4:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

nick77

100+ Head-Fier
I am considering getting an external dac to help improve my 2 channel source. Just running a HK635 to Onix Mini floor standers. Using 1212m digital out to AVR and results are good but the speakers are capable of much more. I am looking at Ciaudio VDA/2 or maybe the Lite Audio DAC60. Anyone already compare these two and able to lend any advise. I like the idea of introducing some tube action into the chain and I know their are some mods and tube rolling that are done to the DAC60 to improve sq. The VDA has an external ps that is available which between the two also starts to get up there in $$. Any advise or impressions welcome. Thanks

Mar 27, 2007 at 5:00 PM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by nick77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am considering getting an external dac to help improve my 2 channel source. Just running a HK635 to Onix Mini floor standers. Using 1212m digital out to AVR and results are good but the speakers are capable of much more. I am looking at Ciaudio VDA/2 or maybe the Lite Audio DAC60. Anyone already compare these two and able to lend any advise. I like the idea of introducing some tube action into the chain and I know their are some mods and tube rolling that are done to the DAC60 to improve sq. The VDA has an external ps that is available which between the two also starts to get up there in $$. Any advise or impressions welcome. Thanks

I've had a modded Dac 60 and a VDA-2/VAC-1 in my system. the Dac 60 was clearly more musical/warmer and sweeter sounding. The VDA-2 is one of the most detailed and analytical dacs i have ever heard, but it doesn't sound harsh or anything. the VDA-2's treble extension is so far the best i've heard, but it is clealry lacking in bass impact and extension.

i had both dacs about 2 months apart from each other.. so my memory is very sketchy. the best way is to buy them and hear them yourself.

Mar 28, 2007 at 5:03 AM Post #3 of 7
I am actually quite interested in this as well. A DAC is my next upgrade, and I was concidering these. Either the VDA with PSU or the Modded DAC 60. They come within $10 of each other. Paired with a Millet Hybrid (and in due time, likely a Melos), and MS-2 (RS-1 in due time) any guesses as to which would be the better choice?

Mar 28, 2007 at 5:24 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gil Schwartzman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am actually quite interested in this as well. A DAC is my next upgrade, and I was concidering these. Either the VDA with PSU or the Modded DAC 60. They come within $10 of each other. Paired with a Millet Hybrid (and in due time, likely a Melos), and MS-2 (RS-1 in due time) any guesses as to which would be the better choice?

for grados i tend to like the sound of tube dacs better.... it was only in my sennheiser system that tube dacs didn't pair well.

Mar 28, 2007 at 5:27 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
for grados i tend to like the sound of tube dacs better.... it was only in my sennheiser system that tube dacs didn't pair well.

Ok well, Sennheisers are my #2 can, and I still like them very much. I would rather focus on Grado, but I don't want to snub the senns in the process. Would the VDA be better in that case.

Mar 28, 2007 at 5:27 AM Post #6 of 7
I agree with granodemostasa. VDA2/VAC1 has the best treble energy I have ever heard without ever being too harsh. I don't feel bass is lacking in any way. For me, the bass is balanced and it's "realistic". If I want more bass, I will just change my amp's tubes. Compare to my other NOS DAC at hand and based on memories of previous DACs...VDA2/VAC1 is most detailed in a very good way
biggrin.gif
I also like the simple design. When it comes to DAC design...I am a firm believer in the KISS principle
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The VDA-2 is one of the most detailed and analytical dacs i have ever heard, but it doesn't sound harsh or anything. the VDA-2's treble extension is so far the best i've heard, but it is clealry lacking in bass impact and extension.

Mar 28, 2007 at 6:19 AM Post #7 of 7
what i meant was that I have not had good look getting a "magical" synergy going with the VDA-2 with grados as i've heard from other systems.. particularly tube sourced or very warm/midrange centric solid state sources. It sounds very good, and my amp could be contributing to the lack of synergy (the Zana Deux is not a very "tuby" sounding tube amp, as opposed to the mpx).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back