Anyone compare similar priced amps from Ray Samuels and Single Power?
Apr 17, 2004 at 3:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

MoodyDragon

Head-Fier
I do not really have a chance to hear any of these pieces so have to depend heavily on member input before buying... not really in the mood for going for a starter amp.

My other components are Sony SCD1 and Senn HD650 headphones. Interconnects I will decide upon once I buy the amp.

Thanks in advance for your answers!

Amit

Apr 17, 2004 at 4:01 PM Post #2 of 13
I cannot really help you since I do not own both of them but they have a different sound from listening at meets. Can you describe what you are looking for? What kind of music you like? Maybe somebody else who has experience with them both can help.

Apr 17, 2004 at 5:43 PM Post #4 of 13
Absolutely Fickle-Friend!
smily_headphones1.gif

Ian, I am looking for detailed musical sound. Should rock, but be at total ease with jazz and vocals too. A silent background is an absolute must as well!

Thanks!

Apr 17, 2004 at 7:40 PM Post #5 of 13
possibly you can go to a head-fi meet in your area and try the amps out yourself if they are available. or the manufacturers maybe can loan the amps you may want to buy and you can do a comparison yourself?

Apr 17, 2004 at 8:11 PM Post #6 of 13
I think you'll be quite happy with either, without hearing the other. I'm very pleased with Ray Samuel's Stealth and have yet to listened to any of Single Power's offerings.

Apr 17, 2004 at 8:28 PM Post #7 of 13
I've heard both manufacturers' amps side by side, and I happen to like both of them a lot. With the exception of the Stealth, Ray Samuels' amps are SS, while the SinglePower amps are tube. That in and of itself is a pretty big difference.

Have you decided on a price range? If so, have you decided on a preference for tubes or solid state? This is where I'd start.

Both manufacturers' amps do a very nice job with bass response. If you like bass, you will not go wrong with either. Like most solid state amps, the Ray Samuels amps are forward in their presentation. They are, however, some of the nicest SS amps I've heard, with richness and detail that anyone who listens to tubes frequently will appreciate.

I must admit that I have a bit of a soft spot for the tube sound. SinglePower has several different tubed offerings, and represents a very good value IMHO. They are some of the sweetest, tuby-est amps I've heard.
biggrin.gif

I don't think that, with the exception of the Stealth vs Supra, the amps compare well with each other. They are very different animals. Think about whether you prefer tubes or solid state, and make your decision based on that. These two lines offer what I think are great complements to the other...why not just get two??
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 17, 2004 at 9:45 PM Post #8 of 13
Hi Elrod-Tom

Thanks for the reply. I do not have a price range in mind and can go up to 2500 or higher. Of course, do not want to spend money without returns and it has been my experience that price and performance may not quite often match.

I do prefer tubes. I do NOT prefer a too bright a sound. With a source like Sony SCD1, I guess my amp needs to be on the more laid back side to neutralize the 'truthfulness' of the Sony.

SO YOU DO THINK THE SUPRA COMPARES WELL WITH THE STEATLH? That is interesting as the Supra is 1k cheaper (of course, it does not have the preamp functions)

Apr 17, 2004 at 9:54 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by MoodyDragon
SO YOU DO THINK THE SUPRA COMPARES WELL WITH THE STEATLH? That is interesting as the Supra is 1k cheaper (of course, it does not have the preamp functions)

but i think you can get the preamp inputs/outputs as an option on the supra...from what i've heard, mikhail can design to your specifications and needs, so email him and check for sure.

Apr 18, 2004 at 12:46 AM Post #10 of 13
Hmmm....Supra vs Stealth. That's a toughie.

I remember the thing that was appealing about the Stealth was the pre-amp functionality. It's also one tough hombre...you should see the way these things are built. It's detailed, nice midrange, big soundstage, but tending more towards the solid state end of the tube sound. That's not a bad thing, btw...it's just my interpretation of it. I liked the sound of it...a LOT!

The Supra is a sweet sounding amp. Enourmous soundstage, bass to die for (made my AKG K501's sing), and sweet sweet midrange...very nice indeed. I understand that one may get pre-amp functionality out of it, but I don't know anything about what's available in terms of in/out or inputs. Mikhail could fill you in if you're thinking seriously about it.

Honestly, if I had no budget, I'd probably go with the Stealth....or if I wanted preamp functionality. The Supra is, however, a very very nice amp for significantly less money...just not as versitile in my experience (which is, again, without pre-amp options).

Ask me which one sounds better, and I'd say that it depends on what kind of music you're going to listen to. I think that the Stealth handles rowdier stuff better, whereas the Supra is very very nice with accoustic stuff and chamber music. Again, so much of it is personal taste.

My advice is to find your way to a major Head-Fi meet. It's the best way to decide for yourself.

Apr 18, 2004 at 5:58 AM Post #11 of 13
The Singlepower Maestro is a preamp also and a beast of a one at that. Just giving you another option. Not a cheap one though
biggrin.gif

Apr 18, 2004 at 10:58 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by MoodyDragon
Absolutely Fickle-Friend!
smily_headphones1.gif

Ian, I am looking for detailed musical sound. Should rock, but be at total ease with jazz and vocals too. A silent background is an absolute must as well!

Thanks!

Not sure what your budget is.....but if you throw in God like power, and extreme lower frequencies, your describing the Singlepower SDS amp. These amps take total control of the Senns. and have them doing things most people on this site don't think they can. A perfect match for the HD650.
600smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back