Anyone compare a WA-6SE to SP Extreme?
Feb 5, 2009 at 11:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

yo2tup2

100+ Head-Fier
I did a search and I didn't find any real comparisons between the two. Has anyone compared the WA-6SE to the SP Extreme (std or platinum)? I've narrowed my choice down to these two, but I'm not sure which to get.

Also, I come from a 2ch rig and I prefer the sound of a SET and high efficiency speaks over anything else. I'm looking for a more seductive, natural, rich, and dimensional sound.

Feb 6, 2009 at 6:56 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by musicmind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gradofan2 has compared the WA6SE very favourably to the SP Extreme and preferred it. Given the recent problems with SP build quality and delivery delays, the WA6SE is even more attractive an option IMO.

That's right...

I preferred the WA6 SE Maxed with selected tubes to the Extreme I demoed.

However, the one I demoed, had "issues," which prevented it from performing up to its capabilities (e.g. it was underpowered, had quite a lot of tube noise / hiss, and did not drive low impedance phones well). I did not want to endure the agony of allowing SP to modify it to resolve the "issues."

I suspect... an Extreme, which was operating properly... would do very well with both low and high impedance phones... and... very likely would perform as well, or nearly as well, as the WA6 SE.

The biggest "issue," however, with the Extreme (or any SP amp) is... the vendor reliability issue, and the possibility you might get one that looks like a "rat's nest" inside. You don't have the vendor reliability issue with the Woo Audio amps... and... they are quite literally "jewels."

On the other hand, If you can find one from a reliable seller, which is in pristine condition with no issues, and you can maintain it yourself, or know someone who can, you may be very pleased with an Extreme, especially for high impedance phones - though, I suspect tube selection will enable it to drive low impedance phones well too. I might consider one myself... if I could find one in pristine condition with no issues, since the one I demoed seemed to have great potential and did impress me with Senns.

Feb 6, 2009 at 1:43 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That would require a SP amp that works, right?

The standard builds like the PPX3/ MPX3/ Supra etc... work just fine; the high dollar complicated ones seem to be the problem. The Extreme is a board build and there is little wiring in the amp. I had some pics from a head-fi buddy but they were on my other computer that died. I think I posted them in some thread on head-fi I just dont know where. The build looked quite neat.

I have the very first Extreme from January 2007 and my amp has been bullerproof. I also had a stock Woo 6. The stock Woo sound quality was not nearly as good the Extreme .... and I sold the amp shortly thereafter. As I said in another thread, unless the 6 SE is a a lot better than the stock 6 I would pass.

That said, until the issues are worked out at SP, if I wanted one, I would buy a good used one. There is an Extreme on the for sale forum right now listed by SEABREEZE that is a nice deal for $900; including some really good tubes. I bought a DV336SE from SEABREEZE and it was like new. You might want to check out that sale.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f42/sp-extreme-se-405157/

Oh too .... I have no connection with SEABREEZE other than I have bought from him.

Feb 6, 2009 at 4:56 PM Post #7 of 8
A fully dressed, premium tubed WA 6 SE is approaching $2k. Dress out a Platinum with bg output caps and premium tubes and compare the two. Of course this isn't a standard unit comparison but rather what each has to offer fully (almost) dressed.

We are trying to get a WA-6 with PDPS at our Terre Haute meet next month. We also have the Zana Deux, Bijou, B22, EC2A3, Rudistor NX-02 and a Platinum among others. If interested, I'll take the cover off for pics of the SP.

If you have the patience, wait until our meet and if you can, come by and listen for yourself.

Feb 6, 2009 at 5:03 PM Post #8 of 8
A "fully dressed' WA6SE is not necessary. The stock amp with a Sophia Princess is pretty good at $1200. I have heard it against the Extreme, and I would say they are comparable. You could tweak one to beat the other.

In my opinion, this comparison is not complete without comparing the customer service. One vendor gets an A and the other grades at F-. Even if you want to buy used, the ability to repair the amp later is a valid issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back