Anyone collect bootlegs?
Nov 8, 2001 at 3:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

gloco

Only one ban in 5000 attempts!
I was wondering if their are any collectors in this forum, copy n paste the link below to see my collection. What are your thoughts on fands recording a concert (either audience, radio or even satellite).

George

Nov 8, 2001 at 6:11 AM Post #2 of 18
i personally think that bootlegging concerts is ok. supposedly they say that people won't buy tickets if they can just get a recording of the concert. but if a concert is sold out, i don't think it applies. they don't really lose money. (i guess it sucks for fans who don't get to go to a sold out concert just because they don't camp out for 10 days or can't afford scalper prices... they should at least be able to hear the music) and if a record company doesn't want bootlegs, they could easily stop the sale of bootlegs by releasing a copy themselves. who would buy a crappy audience bootleg over a professionally mastered cd from the soundboard? nowadays, i think most bootleg collectors are die hard fans, that already own all the official releases. so record companies really don't need to worry that they're losing money.

i collect bootlegs of bands that i really like (erasure & depeche mode) i bootlegged 2 depeche mode concerts this summer, but only for personal use. despite the crappy recordings i made, they are quite enjoyable to listen to, especially since i recorded in binaural.

Nov 8, 2001 at 6:17 AM Post #3 of 18
Skippy, thanks for your reply. I have 2 DM boots, one sounds pretty good, its off the radio. I usually hate audience recordings, unless their very up close to the stage. I have one Bush boot that sounds amazing for an audience recording and i can honestly listen to it on my analytical 7506's without a problem. I do own some soundboard shows that are simply amazing. I do agree with you 100% about companies releasing live albums. If they did so the sales of bootlegs would diminish. Also, it would be wise for the companies to release a full concert, not some "mix" of live tracks from a whole tour (it really ruins the experience). Which leads me to say, unoffical boots are the best because they capture the dynamics of a live show, you hear everything, the crowd chattering, clapping, going ape **** (like in my dmb boots) as well as the interaction of the artist/band to the fans. Cant beat that!

George

350+ shows and counting!

Nov 8, 2001 at 2:09 PM Post #4 of 18
I haven't really gotten into the bootlegs much, but would love to with DMB. I do own all their albums, and love their live stuff. I think it's perfectly fine for fans to trade and make copies of live shows, especially when the band says it's ok (DMB). If they think it will hurt them in some way, they need to get off their high horse and just let people do it :p

Nov 8, 2001 at 6:08 PM Post #5 of 18
I have almost 20 Guns n' Roses bootlegs, and as skippy said no one is losing any money on me since I can't go to the shows (most of them were 10 years ago) and also since I have all of the official discs as well. IMO it's just another way to enjoy a favorite artist.

Nov 8, 2001 at 8:24 PM Post #6 of 18
I have a couple DM bootlegs on CD -- I used to collect DM stuff; now I'm just keeping the official releases, etc. I don't think I've touched the boots in a couple years
wink.gif

Nov 9, 2001 at 12:16 AM Post #7 of 18
MacDEF,

Its good to read others have also collected in the past. I guess the whole idea of collecting live recordings is a little more "hardcore" than most other folks. I guess i cant get enough of listening to live recordings of my favorite artists.

I agree 100% with Skippy, the artist and company are not losing one cent, but are losing out on a market because they are not releasing what the fans want. The music industry these days is more interested in "sure things" that will sell millions, something that live recordings normally do not hit in sales numbers.

mcbiff, i have two GNR boots, they are both radio broadcasts, and actually sound really nice. Its a shame most artists go through their career and never release a live album, like Van Halen with DLR. Comments are welcome!

George

Nov 9, 2001 at 2:30 AM Post #8 of 18
Have you seen those Pearl Jam albums? A cd for every show in the tour... If DMB did that I'd be broke. 'Cause I'd buy every one of course :p

Nov 9, 2001 at 3:34 AM Post #9 of 18
Hey Flumpus, yep...ive seen em i picked up the New York shows, if DMB did that, i would definitely buy them all without hesitating!

George

Nov 10, 2001 at 4:40 AM Post #11 of 18
Jon, if you heard the Loreley festival boot i have of DMB u might change your mind, its a great show and dave goes ape**** on "the last stop." As for radiohead...o yea, i love em, i actually picked up a 2001 2cd boot from a shop in the village before they got raided or just decided to hide the boots until things quieted down again
frown.gif
mad.gif

For me, the official dmb shows leave something to be desired which lead me to boots which i prefer over his official releases. Jon, if you want i can burn you the loreley show so maybe you can let me know what you think of it, let me know, message me if interested, thx.

George

ps. i have dmb boots that are 3 cds, why hasn't he released any of these concerts?

Nov 11, 2001 at 7:28 AM Post #12 of 18
I'll definitely be in touch. You have some Garbage I want, I have some Garbage you want.

Oh, and some opinions: I say it depends on the artist, but sometimes even if the artist doesn't appreciate it, I still do. Case in point, Robert Fripp -- he's against them. I think he says that the live experience is a different experience, and if you want to experience it, you should come to the show. I say "Pah!" I do come to the show, and I still want his bootlegs. I think everyone is right -- no-one loses by recording live shows, most of us already have all the legitimate releases, and in some of our cases, "...and then some." (Case in point: Garbage -- I think I have the first album like 8 times, at least.)

I'd be totally screwed if Legendary Pink Dots put out a CD of every show. I'd have to get every one. They are the only ones of whom I can think, of which I would want every one. They do something different at every show.

Nov 11, 2001 at 8:09 PM Post #13 of 18
Sounds good, feel free to email me or drop me a pm.

George

Nov 12, 2001 at 12:53 AM Post #14 of 18
I started to get into DMB boots a few years ago, but back then it was mostly tapes (I hate tapes). I did manage to get one cd show, 2.2.93 at Trax. Sounds awesome, and I was excited about maybe setting up a trade w/ you gloco, but I see you already have it.
frown.gif

oh well.

Nov 12, 2001 at 4:48 AM Post #15 of 18
lol, sorry, it seems that those trax shows are very popular among dmb traders. If you really want a show, i'll do a blanks n postage trade.

George

Users who are viewing this thread

Back