Anyone collect antique books?
Mar 9, 2006 at 6:21 AM Post #16 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
ugh stupid stupid STUPID i remember that ohio store had a stack of first edition Tarzans with dustcovers too, but i didn't get them because i was on a SciFi kick back in college - argh!

well i got the book because i wanted to read it, not to collect it. i think that's the best way to go about it, right?

Right.

Mar 10, 2006 at 8:31 AM Post #17 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
ugh stupid stupid STUPID i remember that ohio store had a stack of first edition Tarzans with dustcovers too, but i didn't get them because i was on a SciFi kick back in college - argh!

well i got the book because i wanted to read it, not to collect it. i think that's the best way to go about it, right?

Jahn - Don't feel so bad. If it's any comfort, it's very likely they weren't true 1st editions. A lot of the Edgar Rice Burroughs books were done as reprints by Grosset & Dunlap and used the same artwork for the dust jackets.

Mar 10, 2006 at 8:48 PM Post #18 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Wong
Jahn - Don't feel so bad. If it's any comfort, it's very likely they weren't true 1st editions. A lot of the Edgar Rice Burroughs books were done as reprints by Grosset & Dunlap and used the same artwork for the dust jackets.

But it was right next to this Princess of Mars one, and apparently the mars one is a legit 1st edition - well, who knows now, they're probably being used to prop up windows in Ohio now.
tongue.gif

Mar 10, 2006 at 11:32 PM Post #20 of 22
Jeff, care to share some of the highlights of your collection?? I don't have anything significant yet. Just some first edition John Grisham books, but those are a dime a dozen. My girlfriend has started collecting first edition little golden books. Man, does she ever love those things...

JD

Mar 11, 2006 at 7:04 AM Post #21 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr_baseball_08
Jeff, care to share some of the highlights of your collection?? I don't have anything significant yet. Just some first edition John Grisham books, but those are a dime a dozen. My girlfriend has started collecting first edition little golden books. Man, does she ever love those things...

JD

Hi JD - I had meant to post some follow up pics in that thread that rsaavedra linked to - some books that mean a lot to me are in a pic I popped in that thread.

I enjoy having 1st editions of books I enjoy. I have very extensive collections of the mystery writer, Ross Macdonald (building the collection since 1983 and still active), and the British author, Martin Amis (working on that one since 1989.) I have the US and UK 1sts of A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole. I've got a bunch of Thomas Berger, Irvine Welsh, smatterings of Kurt Vonnegut, William S. Burroughs... so many more in terms of fiction.

Because I'm a caricaturist, I've built a fairly extensive caricature book collection (probably over 200 volumes in that), and among those, some of my most prized 1st editions would be Al Hirschfeld books he inscribed to me.

I'll probably post some pics in that other thread to keep it alive. I was supposed to post some fiction for Jahn in it, but, I got very busy with some personal things in my life and had to put a lot of things on hold.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back