Anyone can recommend a cable to connect macbook pro/ipod to amps?
Nov 30, 2010 at 4:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

brobilly

100+ Head-Fier
I know the ALO cables are good, but they are too expensive for me, so can someone give me some recommendations? i am looking for a cable under $100, thanks
BTW, I just got the Grado Rs1is and the RA1.

Nov 30, 2010 at 4:26 PM Post #2 of 26
The only cable that would connect your iPod and Mac to the same source would have be a mini-mini or a mini-RCA.  There is no way to pull a high quality signal out of the headphone jack (mini) of the Mac.  That being said the Cardas iLink mini-RCA would be a good choice and is right at $100.00.  Also Kimber make great cables.

Nov 30, 2010 at 4:30 PM Post #3 of 26
I'd avoid any cable that's too bulky/inflexible as you run the possibility of damaging the jack connection on your Mac. Often the jacks are soldered right into the PCB.

I'd spend less on the cable and buy some music instead, but it's your cash.

Oh, and if you bought the RA-1 new and still have the receipt, I'd advise returning it. Lots of better value options out there.

John

Nov 30, 2010 at 4:41 PM Post #5 of 26

Quote:
Wow! not at all what he asked about.

I see you are a big fan of Cardas products.

Perhaps I was too subtle with my reply.
I should have said: The RA-1 (inside) is a basic $50 amp, similar to the CMoy. Why spend $100 on a cable for it?
(I'd like to see a proper double blind test that showed that an expensive cable was any better in this application, anyway.)

Nov 30, 2010 at 4:47 PM Post #6 of 26
He didn't ask about his amp, or how he should allot his money in his rig, he specifically asked about cables.  If you don't have anything to offer on the cable front, move along.  That's all.

Nov 30, 2010 at 7:33 PM Post #8 of 26

Quote:
The only cable that would connect your iPod and Mac to the same source would have be a mini-mini or a mini-RCA.  There is no way to pull a high quality signal out of the headphone jack (mini) of the Mac.  That being said the Cardas iLink mini-RCA would be a good choice and is right at $100.00.  Also Kimber make great cables.

so do you mean the line out to rca is better than mini to rca? and I am also planning to get the hifiman 602, so which cable should I use? 
sorry that i sound stupid, cuz I am new and dunno anything about the headphone, amps. thanks!

Nov 30, 2010 at 9:08 PM Post #9 of 26
Don't worry about sounding stupid, that's why were here to help.  My first post were just as... encouraging.  

Are myself and VictoriaGuy the only headFi members really willing to help!?  If so this is sad...

Nov 30, 2010 at 10:41 PM Post #10 of 26

Quote:
Don't worry about sounding stupid, that's why were here to help.  My first post were just as... encouraging.  

Are myself and VictoriaGuy the only headFi members really willing to help!?  If so this is sad...

thank you so much! so what's your recommendation of the cable if i want the best sound quality for under $100? if you can give me a link that will be perfect, and also i dont mind to get a used one on the forum.
thanks again!

Dec 1, 2010 at 12:15 AM Post #11 of 26
Sure, no problem,

STRAIGHT WIRE  $42.00.

KIMBER $89.99

CARDAS iLINK  $99.99

There is also at the less expensive side the Blue Jeans cable

[size=1.6em]
For Miniature Applications: BJC MSA-1 Audio Cable
[/size]

Ipod_Cable.jpg

[size=1.3em] Many portable devices now run analog audio through a 1/8" stereo mini-plug, which isn't compatible with the larger cable size of the LC-1. For these applications, we carry our own miniature stereo audio cable, the MSA-1. MSA-1 is a pair of miniature unbalanced audio cables, wrapped in an outer round jacket; each of these miniature cables carries a full braided shield overlaying a layer of foil, for high shield effectiveness as compared with typical miniature "serve-shield" cables. MSA-1, like the LC-1, is made in bulk for us by Belden here in the US, and is terminated in our own shop in Seattle; we offer it in a variety of termination options, the most common being 1/8" stereo to a pair of RCAs. This cable is rated CMX under the National Electrical Code, which makes it lawful for in-wall installation in single-family residential applications.  Price ranges from $24.00 and up depending upon length.[/size]

[size=1.3em]  [/size]

[size=1.3em]  [/size]

[size=1.3em]  [/size]

Dec 1, 2010 at 12:28 AM Post #12 of 26
Dec 1, 2010 at 12:51 AM Post #13 of 26

Quote:
Sure, no problem,

STRAIGHT WIRE  $42.00.

KIMBER $89.99

CARDAS iLINK  $99.99

[size=1.6em]
[/size]

Ipod_Cable.jpg

[size=1.3em] Many portable devices now run analog audio through a 1/8" stereo mini-plug, which isn't compatible with the larger cable size of the LC-1. For these applications, we carry our own miniature stereo audio cable, the MSA-1. MSA-1 is a pair of miniature unbalanced audio cables, wrapped in an outer round jacket; each of these miniature cables carries a full braided shield overlaying a layer of foil, for high shield effectiveness as compared with typical miniature "serve-shield" cables. MSA-1, like the LC-1, is made in bulk for us by Belden here in the US, and is terminated in our own shop in Seattle; we offer it in a variety of termination options, the most common being 1/8" stereo to a pair of RCAs. This cable is rated CMX under the National Electrical Code, which makes it lawful for in-wall installation in single-family residential applications.  Price ranges from $24.00 and up depending upon length.[/size]

[size=1.3em]  [/size]

[size=1.3em]  [/size]

[size=1.3em]  [/size]

Nice post kboe.

This is a solid list with all of the cables I would personally recommend also.

Dave

Dec 1, 2010 at 1:34 AM Post #14 of 26
this is soooo helpful!! thank you so much
o2smile.gif

Quote:
Sure, no problem,

STRAIGHT WIRE  $42.00.

KIMBER $89.99

CARDAS iLINK  $99.99

[size=1.6em]
[/size]

Ipod_Cable.jpg

[size=1.3em]  [/size]

[size=1.3em]  [/size]

[size=1.3em]  [/size]

Dec 1, 2010 at 1:35 AM Post #15 of 26
thanks for the info, its also really helpful! 

Quote:
If you ever get another amp, or want to add a DAC, you'll be pleased to know the Macbook Pro headphone jack can also output Optical. 
(Right now you are using analogue connections)

You will need something like this http://www.amazon.com/Toslink-To-Optical-Mini-Adapter/dp/B0002MQGRM or this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TOSLINK#Mini-TOSLINK.C2.AE
But, this is probably something to consider in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back