Anyone buying the new iTunes Plus Music?
Oct 30, 2007 at 1:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

shawntp

100+ Head-Fier
So since early this summer iTunes launched iTunes Plus content which is DRM-Free and encoded at 256 AAC. I know there are a large number of Head-Fi'ers who only use uncompressed/lossless formats but there are also have to be quite a few in the 256-320 camp.

Anyways Apple recently lowered the price of a lot of "iTunes Plus" content

I see a ton of independant artists I like on with their music available in iTunes Plus for $9.99, our local record shop has a lot of these CD's north of $16 so I might start picking a couple of these up.

...here is some info:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=305567

Oct 30, 2007 at 2:20 PM Post #2 of 13
Not me!
DRM-free AAC @256Kbps sure is a great step in the right direction. But I personally wont buy from iTunes Store until they start selling Apple Lossless files...

Oct 30, 2007 at 5:26 PM Post #3 of 13
I like the fact that I have a backup copy of my music therefore I purchase CD's and then rip them into Itunes in apple lossless. With my new computer setup I find this is the only way to go. I havent tried 256k or 320k but I can't imagine it sounding nearly as good as apple lossless or flac.

Oct 30, 2007 at 5:47 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by artizen65 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I havent tried 256k or 320k but I can't imagine it sounding nearly as good as apple lossless or flac.

Until you actually do the comparison (preferably in a blind comparison), you don't have any basis for a statement like this. Most likely, you would find that 256kbps AAC is indistinguishable from the lossless version.

Oct 30, 2007 at 6:12 PM Post #5 of 13
Normally I'd only buy CDs, but I have picked up a few iTunes Plus music files. One was an out of print CD of marimba music from Zimbabwe... Amazon had a few used copies of the CD, but they were ridiculously expensive, and the iTunes Plus version was inexpensive. It is a decent alternative for hard to find, out of print music.

My personal sense is that 256kbps AAC is roughly equivalent to 360kbps CBR MP3, and both are only slightly less transparent than lossless.

Oct 30, 2007 at 6:24 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Febs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Until you actually do the comparison (preferably in a blind comparison), you don't have any basis for a statement like this. Most likely, you would find that 256kbps AAC is indistinguishable from the lossless version.

Febs, First I don't believe in blind comparisons (I know that DBT is not to be discussed in the cable forums I don't know about here)

As far as comparisson of different types of files (WAV, applelossless and a Transport) I have done this on the main rig.

Using XP and Itunes with WAV files I could tell no difference between my transport and the WAV file going into the same DAC.

Using Vista and Itunes streaming both WAV and apple lossless there was a difference in all three files WAV, apple lossless and the CD from the transport.

Now what is odd is the fact that I go from the computer to a ROKU via ethernet cable the roku does the conversion to SPDIF and COAX out to a DAC.

Oct 30, 2007 at 6:37 PM Post #7 of 13
I'd buy from iTunes if I could get FLAC files with no DRM attached, and pay $10/album...for ANY album (unless it's a two CD set or something like that...).

The main reason I do not shop for music online is because of the low quality file types. I want lossless. And I do not want DRM. No leasing music for me, thank you very much.

Although I'll still have a problem buying it...I currently don't buy many CD's anymore since I do not approve of the RIAA and the many large labels out there. Buying from iTunes probably means less money in the artists' pocket.

Oct 30, 2007 at 6:46 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Febs, First I don't believe in blind comparisons

Well, then, that would explain this:

Quote:

Using Vista and Itunes streaming both WAV and apple lossless there was a difference in all three files WAV, apple lossless and the CD from the transport.

rolleyes.gif

Oct 30, 2007 at 7:20 PM Post #9 of 13
Well unfortunitally I had a friend with me who has been a musician for over 20 years. He has a studio background as well as playing in live venues. He came to the same conclusion during the listening sessions.

Now my question is why tube roll a guitar amp?

Another question I would have, is why would a musician friend of mine choose a home system speaker based on the fact that he could tell the difference in the guitar that was being played?

In other words what are we trying to acheive with our systems be it in the musician arena or the audiophile arena?

Why does one musician choose an ovation and another a martin?

Why did I choose my musical components?

And last of all but not least do you blind test guitars before making that purchase?

Oct 30, 2007 at 7:25 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Well unfortunitally I had a friend with me who has been a musician for over 20 years. He has a studio background as well as playing in live venues. He came to the same conclusion during the listening sessions.

So what? I have been a musician for over 25 years and I have studio background as well as background playing in live venues. And I know from personal experience that it is unreliable to compare codecs in sighted, non-volume matched tests.

Quote:

Now my question is why tube roll a guitar amp?

Another question I would have, is why would a musician friend of mine choose a home system speaker based on the fact that he could tell the difference in the guitar that was being played?

In other words what are we trying to acheive with our systems be it in the musician arena or the audiophile arena?

Why does one musician choose an ovation and another a martin?

Why did I choose my musical components?

And last of all but not least do you blind test guitars before making that purchase?

None of these questions has anything to do with whether there is an audible difference between codecs.

Oct 30, 2007 at 7:37 PM Post #11 of 13
I bought the London Symphony Orchestra performing Holst's Planet Suite for 7.99. It sounds great! I hope James Taylor's new album is available from iTunes +

Oct 30, 2007 at 9:32 PM Post #12 of 13
256 should sound good enough. I'd hit it.

Oct 30, 2007 at 9:40 PM Post #13 of 13
I haven't yet bought anything from itunes, but I'm tempted to try some of the plus offerings. Quality promises to be on par with or slightly better than the downloads I get from emusic (MP3 VBR -V2, I think), and the absence of DRM makes it viable, I think. Good to hear from some folks who have tried it and are pleased (hi Wesley).

As for those of you who persist in derailing a potentially useful thread, please hijack-OFF, OK?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back