Anyone buying Philips thesedays?
Jul 15, 2002 at 4:21 PM Post #16 of 49
Hello Manfred/Lini! :)

Greetings from S‹o Paulo, Brazil!

I've see the HP 910 features a completely different automatic headband, have you ever had a chance of trying them on and comparing them to the HP 890?

Cheers!

Alex Altorfer

Jul 15, 2002 at 4:24 PM Post #17 of 49
Hello Enak! :)

Yes, I see all of those Philips cans definitely demand a burn in period! The same happened with my HP 800s.

Cheers!

Alex Altorfer

Jul 15, 2002 at 4:38 PM Post #18 of 49
Alex Altorfer
HI: The philips are very nice cans but cant come close to my 580s. I bought the 890s for 110.00 and waited 17 days for them. That was befor I got my 580s. After I got my 580s the philips hit the draw. I think I would rather give them to a friend befor I sell them for 40.00. Thank you for your offer anyway and I use the stand for my 580s. I hope you understand.
PS
If you can try getting the 580s instead.

Jul 15, 2002 at 8:15 PM Post #19 of 49
Louis,

Well, suppose you wanted to sell them, how much would you charge for them, stand included?

Alex Altorfer

BTW: Have you been to any Phillies games lately?

Jul 15, 2002 at 8:34 PM Post #20 of 49
Alex Altorfer
HI: The philips only cost me 110.00 and now are used but like new. I cant come up with a sale price for them that would be fair for a used can. I think that I would rather just give them away to a friend whos got junk cans. The stand I use for my 580s and like it a lot and will not sell it. I find selling stuff here awkward and think that I am better off not selling anything on this forum. I dont need money so I might be better off just giveing stuff away. I remember trying to give a member a set of koss 35s for free and he turned me down for some strange reason. I had my main rig up for sale for a little while and people wanted to pay not very much for what they were getting so I deleated the sale and use my main rig every now and then. I use my portable rig most of the time so my main rig just sits without much use. I hope that you understand.
ps
I only follow boxing on tv and like to watch pool on tv thats it for sports for me. Of course if a kick boxing thing came on I would watch that also.

Jul 16, 2002 at 8:13 PM Post #21 of 49
Louis,

Well, I understand then that there will be no counter offer from you. That's too bad. I did audition the HD 580's and I did find them smoother and silkier than my HP 800s, surely they were some deal better than my headphones. But they were also a very great deal more expensive, actually seven times the price! I was under the impression the Senn HD 580s aren't worth the money they charge for them. Maybe someday I'll get a pair of Senns, but getting a headphone amp (either Creek OBS-12 SE or Rega Ear) and a better digital source take precedence to that prioritywise.

I have a pair of Koss cans too, but I wouldn't even give them away for free because they reeeeally suck to such a high degree! :)

I see you eren't into baseball. Well, I'm not into soccer either (at all) in spite of Brazil being five times world champion.

Cheers!

Alex Altorfer

Jul 17, 2002 at 3:25 AM Post #22 of 49
Alex---

avoid the 910s. they use a different (older) driver and have far less sonic character than the 890s. they are also less luxuriously made. I.E. not worth the extra cash or even the same amount as 890s. 890s are far better, whether you get em from Lou or elsewhere!

smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 17, 2002 at 4:58 AM Post #23 of 49
Dear Delanda,

I really appreciate your input as I am well aware that you've tested both these cans before and that you know them well. I now have a problem. The 890's are impossible to find in my country. Lou will not sell me his. And Philips is now touting the HP 910s here. If they are really inferior then Philips is being really irresponsible towards its customers. I am aware that the 910s don't even include the very neat headphone stand nor the detachable cord! How could Philips act this way? Shocking!

How do you know the 910's drivers are inferior? They are supposed to have quicker, tighter bass as well as better detail in the higher octaves along with better frequency response (I know about the recessed midrange). Whereas the 890s are supposed to have slower, looser bass (e.g. yelding 'wompas' instead of 'womps'). The 890s advantage over the 910s being its wider soundstage which is provided by its angled driver acoustic chamber design and not by the drivers themselves. There were no headphone models from Philips featuring 50mm drivers prior to the HP 890s, so how do you know the HP 910s drivers are older?

I'm sorry about being so direct with my questioning here but much of the info I've just mentioned I read in your own review of those cans, so I'd like you to correct me where I'm wrong and provide additional info on how exactly the HP 910s sound worse than the 890's since the sound is what's most important here. As for build quality I know the 890s are better but I'm not sure about the ergonomics which there could perhaps be a small HP 910 advantage there?

Again, thank you Delenda very very much for your input, and I would really appreciate you shedding further light on this issue lest I make a bad purchase here. Maybe I should just stick to my HP 800s?

Cheers,

Alex Altorfer

Jul 17, 2002 at 5:23 AM Post #24 of 49
Alex Altorfer
HI: I feel like a mean person to keep my 890 in a draw than sell them to you so these things are like new and have the box that they came in. Would you pay 60.00 for them with out the stand? I payed 110.00

Jul 17, 2002 at 6:28 AM Post #25 of 49
I actually prefer the philips compared to my AKG K401. They are almost the same except for the great, thumping bass (like there's a sub inside) that comes with the Philips.

Jayel

Jul 17, 2002 at 2:20 PM Post #26 of 49
Jul 17, 2002 at 4:50 PM Post #27 of 49
Hello everyone! :)

Jarthel and Bligthy, thank you. It really seems Philips engineers screwed up somehow on the top of their headphone line so they must have tons of 910s in stock nobody wants to buy anywhere above the equator so they obviously plan to dump them all down under where Brazilian fools don't know any better. If this is so then Philips has really fallen from a pedestal in my mind.

Louis, by all means, you are not a mean person no matter what you decide to do! I was not trying to manipulate your feelings when I told Delenda that you 'wouldn't sell me yours'. If you would like to sell me your 890s then I'd like to buy them. I guess U$60.00 is a good price. The only issue left as an open question would be the cost of shipping. Surface would take months, and customs officials here were on strike for a long while up to about two weeks ago so all imports are turtle paced even when arriving by air. Would it be difficult to you to calculate the UPS air or FedEx air or whatever shipping cost? Or maybe you could just box it (not in the original package so as not to provoke customs officials) and weigh it and perhaps we could calculate the shipping cost through the internet as some tranport companies have online wizards for that purpose. Both the weight and the size of the box are important data in calculating the shipping cost. If shipping is close to the value of the cans then I'd find it difficult to buy them as I am about to get a headphone amp as well, but I find U$ 60.00 a good price. I would have to know the shipping cost in advance so I could include it on the check that way I wouldn't have to send you two checks.

As for the headphone stand, ironically I already got one yesterday and I paid only R$21.00 (about U$ 7.00) for it!
biggrin.gif
It's not exactly like the Philips stand and it wasn't even originally intended to be a headphone stand, but it works perfectly as such and my HP 800s now sit beautifully on it. There's even a place at the bottom where you can wind excess cable around so you don't step on it all the time! I've attached an image of my new headphone stand below so you can see it. My only concern is, the HP890s are probably too big to sit on this stand. They seem to be especially sized for the HP 800s.

Cheers!
smily_headphones1.gif

Alex Altorfer

Jul 17, 2002 at 6:24 PM Post #28 of 49
Alex Altorfer
HI: Cool stand but it makes me thirsty LOL. I Think that the easyest way to ship them would be for you to send me the money the 60.00 then I go to usps and ship them by usps and put gift and what ever else I should put to ship them as cheep as possible. Then when you get them you could send me whatever it cost to ship minus half for I would pay for halfe the shipping to be fair with you. How does this sound to you? Could we ship them as cheep as possible even if it takes a while?

Jul 17, 2002 at 7:02 PM Post #29 of 49
The headphone and original box together w/o stand weighs 2.2 pounds. What you can do is use standard kraft paper to wrap the box to keep weight down and ship it that way via USPS Airmail for slightly less than ~$18USD. The box is very sturdy so double boxing is not necessary. Brings your total cost to $78USD. Not greatly cheaper than the $110 total that Meier-audio is charging for a new one I guess.

Jul 17, 2002 at 7:11 PM Post #30 of 49
Blighty
HI: Thanks for that info. I would have paid half of the shipping cost so it would have cost ALEX 69.00 but maby you are right and he could buy them new. I dont really care if I sell them or not but it was nice of you to give us the shipping weight that fast so we would have an idea of what the shipping would cost instantly. Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back