Anyone any Napster alternatives?
Aug 15, 2001 at 2:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

chadbang

Headphoneus Supremus
I've been bummed out since the death of Napster (okay, not everything has to be audiophile quality for me to give it a listen.). Hotline is too damn slow, and everytime I try to find a new mp3 site, I end up running into bogus sites laden with 18 million java pop-ups. Does anyone know of a decent place to find mp3s?

Aug 15, 2001 at 2:58 PM Post #2 of 20
Try http://www.audiogalaxy.com

But I didn't tell you...
wink.gif

Bye

Redwoood

Aug 15, 2001 at 3:24 PM Post #5 of 20
Is this peer-to-peer like bearshare and limewire?

I hate these gnutella programs. They eat massive bandwidth and don't scale.
Try audiogalaxy, it has a somewhat strange user interface but once you get used to it you'll see it a lot more files than any other service I know.

BTW: For those who really like the napster way of doing things, there's napigator which let's you select one of the numerous free servers out there that work with the napster protocol.

Aug 16, 2001 at 12:45 AM Post #7 of 20
The problem with Morpheus (and Kaaza on which its based) is that it doesn't seem to allow sharing of songs with a bitrate higher than 128Kbps. Which is okay if you are just trying to sample stuff you'll potentially be buying, but even then at best mp3 at 128Kbps sounds passable, and frequently it sounds plain awful (since so many people pick poor encoders i.e. Xing, or use poor setting i.e. plain stereo rather than joint-stereo...). Anyway, I usually use winMX.

Aug 16, 2001 at 3:24 PM Post #8 of 20
Thanks Redwood, that's a very sweet site. I'm loving it. You're right about the interface being a bit awkward, but it's every bit as good as Napster otherwise. I wonder how long it will be up. Well, until then.... Thanks again.

Aug 20, 2001 at 10:47 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by AtEase
The problem with Morpheus (and Kaaza on which its based) is that it doesn't seem to allow sharing of songs with a bitrate higher than 128Kbps. Which is okay if you are just trying to sample stuff you'll potentially be buying, but even then at best mp3 at 128Kbps sounds passable, and frequently it sounds plain awful (since so many people pick poor encoders i.e. Xing, or use poor setting i.e. plain stereo rather than joint-stereo...). Anyway, I usually use winMX.

There is actually a method to bypass the 128kbit filter on Morpheus. You must be familiar with editing registry entries in windows.

Open up regedit and navigate to hkey_current_user\software\morpheus\

Simply change the value of the LimitBitrate from a 1 to a 0. Close regedit and load up morpheus and you're all set. Enjoy

-Bill

Aug 21, 2001 at 10:12 PM Post #10 of 20
USENET!

It pre-dates the web, and it will still be there after we're all dust and the earth is run by cockroaches. There is a lot of good stuff out there, and usually the server is in the rack at your ISP so the speeds are blistering.

I've been especially lucky with concert bootlegs from Soul Coughing among others.

If you don't know what usenet is, you'll have to do a little research. Don't just go to www.usenet.com - do some google searches instead. (I don't have a news tutorial handy - anyone?)

-jP

Aug 21, 2001 at 10:24 PM Post #11 of 20
I find Morpheus much more convient. What makes it esecially good is the segmented downloading and the bitrate filter. Also some ISPs limit their newsgroup server bandwidth. Quote:

Originally posted by jonpile
USENET!

It pre-dates the web, and it will still be there after we're all dust and the earth is run by cockroaches. There is a lot of good stuff out there, and usually the server is in the rack at your ISP so the speeds are blistering.

I've been especially lucky with concert bootlegs from Soul Coughing among others.

If you don't know what usenet is, you'll have to do a little research. Don't just go to www.usenet.com - do some google searches instead. (I don't have a news tutorial handy - anyone?)

-jP

Aug 22, 2001 at 9:58 PM Post #12 of 20
I just tried AudioGalaxy yesterday....HATE it....back to limewire...

Aug 24, 2001 at 10:15 AM Post #13 of 20
limewire's pretty good esp. the newest version. Much like napster but it lacks the selection

Apr 28, 2005 at 12:34 AM Post #15 of 20
ive seen at least one person give limewire, but i would not recommend it unless you are positive that you can keep your files hidden from major companies for copywrite reasons. limewire has a share/unshare files and i was almost sued by MGM even though i had pressed unshare. Also, my computer started working 10x better after limewire was completely removed. Its a risk i was willing to take before, but not anymore. iTunes would be great if they opened a subscription service.

BE CAREFUL WITH LIMEWIRE, LOADS OF SPYWARE!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back