Anyone actually use the 0404 primarily to record?
Mar 1, 2008 at 10:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Fome

New Head-Fier
It seems to me that everyone just wants the DAC, but has anyone actually done recording on this, say using Cubase or some other music developing software? If so, how was the sound quality? Sejarzo, I'm wondering if you have in particular, since we both have XP MCE.

Mar 2, 2008 at 4:28 AM Post #2 of 5
Only used it with a Behringer ECM8000 to record frequency sweeps of my speaker rig with RoomEQ Wizard. And I only did those with my XPSP2 desktop, not the notebook with MCE.

infinitesymphony has tried some things, he's a musician/recording engineer and is most likely the one that can help!

Mar 2, 2008 at 7:50 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fome /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It seems to me that everyone just wants the DAC, but has anyone actually done recording on this, say using Cubase or some other music developing software? If so, how was the sound quality? Sejarzo, I'm wondering if you have in particular, since we both have XP MCE.

I've recorded electric guitar only by connecting it directly into E-MU Hi-Z input port using unbalanced cabling ... it's clean path and pre-amplification is excellent and all those DX/VST effects (GR3, Amplitube, etc. and std. effects) which ones I've tried sofar sounds wonderful. Also does DXi/VSTi plug-ins sounds much better when compared to say Audigy 2 which is the secondary card here in this PC.

In the end of this month, I'm going to record some LP's by connecting the record player directly into E-MU through Hi-Z inputs and then use software based RIAA correction (as I programmed this software ~year ago). I suppose that the over +60dB gain what Hi-Z can give is well enough for pre-amplification for the cardridge (IIRC, it needed something around +40dB) ... my only concern would be the connection impedance and capacitance but, as I have a matched pre-amp for this connection, I'll try through that too. Maybe I'll make some comparisons between different sources then (CD against analog audio) and report the results w/ some audio examples.

jiitee

Mar 5, 2008 at 5:24 AM Post #4 of 5
can you give me some recordings of your stuff jiiteepee? either short clips that are mixed in, or just a raw track with just gr3, or ampitube.

any and all of these would would be awesome. the more the better haha

thanks man.

Mar 5, 2008 at 8:44 AM Post #5 of 5
When I connect my guitar directly into the input jack, I get a very loud hum that I don't get with my amp. My strat has some pretty hot pickups though. That's a pretty sloppy way to record electric guitar anyway so I'm not concerned.

I've done some voice and acoustic guitar recording with a microphone (a V63M from the musicians friend deal) and it sounds really good. Pair the 0404 with a good condenser mic and a midi keyboard you have a great studio.

The zero latency ASIO drivers are a must for using midi programs. It takes out all the lag between the keyboard and the program without requiring a beefy system.

I'm very happy with the recording capabilities of the 0404.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back