Anyone able to help?
Apr 7, 2008 at 12:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

daveip

100+ Head-Fier
Uh ... I need a little bit of help. Its not audio related unfortunately and I'm not sure where else I can turn to for help. My lecturer isn't being helpful =/

I'm having some problems with VHDL and Xilinx.

Basically I have a model designed in VHDL which works perfectly when simulated in Modelsim.

When I come to transfer this vhdl to Xilinx (simulating spartan 2 chip), I've managed to get the code to synthesise properly, but for some reason when it comes to the floor planner one of the two main components in my design isn't connected at all.

I have no idea why. I'm hoping someone out there might be able to take a quick look at my code and point me in the right direction as to why Xilinx comes up with a code XST: 1710 warning (F/F) and doesn't connect up the pins from the component I designed.

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Thanks!!

Apr 7, 2008 at 12:05 AM Post #2 of 2
PHP Code:

WARNING:Xst:736 Found 10-bit latch for signal <v_number$mux0002created at line 60. Latches may be generated from incomplete case or if statementsWe do not recommend the use of latches in FPGA/CPLD designs, as they may lead to timing problems.
WARNING:Xst:736 Found 1-bit latch for signal <v_err$mux0000created at line 60. Latches may be generated from incomplete case or if statementsWe do not recommend the use of latches in FPGA/CPLD designs, as they may lead to timing problems.
WARNING:Xst:736 Found 1-bit latch for signal <v_empty$mux0000created at line 60. Latches may be generated from incomplete case or if statementsWe do not recommend the use of latches in FPGA/CPLD designs, as they may lead to timing problems.
WARNING:Xst:736 Found 1-bit latch for signal <v_full$mux0000created at line 60. Latches may be generated from incomplete case or if statementsWe do not recommend the use of latches in FPGA/CPLD designs, as they may lead to timing problems.
WARNING:Xst:647 Input <clockis never usedThis port will be preserved and left unconnected if it belongs to a top-level block or it belongs to a sub-block and the hierarchy of this sub-block is preserved.
WARNING:Xst:647 Input <clockis never usedThis port will be preserved and left unconnected if it belongs to a top-level block or it belongs to a sub-block and the hierarchy of this sub-block is preserved.
WARNING:Xst:646 Signal <Min59is assigned but never usedThis unconnected signal will be trimmed during the optimization process.
WARNING:Xst:1780 Signal <ClockUpdateis never used or assignedThis unconnected signal will be trimmed during the optimization process.
WARNING:Xst:737 Found 4-bit latch for signal <NextHr10>. Latches may be generated from incomplete case or if statementsWe do not recommend the use of latches in FPGA/CPLD designs, as they may lead to timing problems.
WARNING:Xst:737 Found 4-bit latch for signal <NextHr1>. Latches may be generated from incomplete case or if statementsWe do not recommend the use of latches in FPGA/CPLD designs, as they may lead to timing problems.
WARNING:Xst:737 Found 4-bit latch for signal <NextMin10>. Latches may be generated from incomplete case or if statementsWe do not recommend the use of latches in FPGA/CPLD designs, as they may lead to timing problems.
WARNING:Xst:737 Found 4-bit latch for signal <NextMin1>. Latches may be generated from incomplete case or if statementsWe do not recommend the use of latches in FPGA/CPLD designs, as they may lead to timing problems.
WARNING:Xst:1710 FF/Latch <NextHr10_2> (without init valuehas a constant value of 0 in block <clock_out>. This FF/Latch will be trimmed during the optimization process.
WARNING:Xst:1710 FF/Latch <NextHr10_3> (without init valuehas a constant value of 0 in block <clock_out>. This FF/Latch will be trimmed during the optimization process.
WARNING:Xst:1895 Due to other FF/Latch trimmingFF/Latch <CurrHr10_2> (without init valuehas a constant value of 0 in block <clock_out>. This FF/Latch will be trimmed during the optimization process.
WARNING:Xst:1895 Due to other FF/Latch trimmingFF/Latch <CurrHr10_3> (without init valuehas a constant value of 0 in block <clock_out>. This FF/Latch will be trimmed during the optimization process.
WARNING:Xst:1895 Due to other FF/Latch trimmingFF/Latch <NextMin10_3> (without init valuehas a constant value of 0 in block <clock_out>. This FF/Latch will be trimmed during the optimization process.
WARNING:Xst:1895 Due to other FF/Latch trimmingFF/Latch <CurrMin10_3> (without init valuehas a constant value of 0 in block <clock_out>. This FF/Latch will be trimmed during the optimization process.
WARNING:Xst:2170 Unit statemachine the following signal(sform a combinatorial loopv_state<4>, v_full_mux0001v_state<2>, v_state<6>.
WARNING:Xst:2170 Unit statemachine the following signal(sform a combinatorial loopv_state<1>.
WARNING:Xst:2170 Unit statemachine the following signal(sform a combinatorial loopv_state<3>.
WARNING:Xst:2170 Unit statemachine the following signal(sform a combinatorial loopv_state<2>.
WARNING:Xst:2170 Unit statemachine the following signal(sform a combinatorial loopv_state<6>.
WARNING:Xst:1710 FF/Latch <statemachine_1/v_number_mux0002_0> (without init valuehas a constant value of 0 in block <top_car_park>. This FF/Latch will be trimmed during the optimization process.
WARNING:Xst:1710 FF/Latch <statemachine_1/v_empty_mux0000> (without init valuehas a constant value of 0 in block <top_car_park>. This FF/Latch will be trimmed during the optimization process.
WARNING:Xst:1710 FF/Latch <statemachine_1/v_full_mux0000> (without init valuehas a constant value of 0 in block <top_car_park>. This FF/Latch will be trimmed during the optimization process.
WARNING:Xst:1710 FF/Latch <statemachine_1/v_number_mux0002_9> (without init valuehas a constant value of 0 in block <top_car_park>. This FF/Latch will be trimmed during the optimization process.
WARNING:Xst:1710 FF/Latch <statemachine_1/v_number_mux0002_8> (without init valuehas a constant value of 0 in block <top_car_park>. This FF/Latch will be trimmed during the optimization process.
WARNING:Xst:1710 FF/Latch <statemachine_1/v_number_mux0002_7> (without init valuehas a constant value of 0 in block <top_car_park>. This FF/Latch will be trimmed during the optimization process.
WARNING:Xst:1710 FF/Latch <statemachine_1/v_number_mux0002_6> (without init valuehas a constant value of 0 in block <top_car_park>. This FF/Latch will be trimmed during the optimization process.
WARNING:Xst:1710 FF/Latch <statemachine_1/v_number_mux0002_5> (without init valuehas a constant value of 0 in block <top_car_park>. This FF/Latch will be trimmed during the optimization process.
WARNING:Xst:1710 FF/Latch <statemachine_1/v_number_mux0002_4> (without init valuehas a constant value of 0 in block <top_car_park>. This FF/Latch will be trimmed during the optimization process.
WARNING:Xst:1710 FF/Latch <statemachine_1/v_number_mux0002_3> (without init valuehas a constant value of 0 in block <top_car_park>. This FF/Latch will be trimmed during the optimization process.
WARNING:Xst:1710 FF/Latch <statemachine_1/v_number_mux0002_2> (without init valuehas a constant value of 0 in block <top_car_park>. This FF/Latch will be trimmed during the optimization process.
WARNING:Xst:1710 FF/Latch <statemachine_1/v_number_mux0002_1> (without init valuehas a constant value of 0 in block <top_car_park>. This FF/Latch will be trimmed during the optimization process

those are the warnings i believe that are causing the problem

PHP Code:

library IEEE;
use 
IEEE.std_logic_1164.all;
use 
IEEE.std_logic_unsigned.all;
use 
IEEE.Numeric_STD.all;

entity statemachine is
    port

clock in std_logic;

reset in std_logic;

in_pin in std_logic;

out_pinin std_logic;
        empty : 
out std_logic;

full out std_logic;

err out std_logic;

number out std_logic_vector (9 downto 0)
        );

end;

architecture struct of statemachine is

type state is 
(S_RESETS_ERRORS_FULLS_EMPTYS_ADDS_SUBS_NORMAL);  
signal next_state,current_state state;

begin

--------------------------------
-- 
RESET PROCEDURE
--------------------------------

zero process(clock,reset)
begin

if (reset '1'then        
        current_state 
<= S_RESET;      --go to RESET state
        elsif rising_edge
(clockthen
        current_state 
<= next_state;

end if;
end process zero;

------------------------------
-- 
STATE MACHINE
------------------------------

states process(in_pinout_pin)

variable v_state state;
variable v_errv_fullv_empty std_logic;
variable v_number std_logic_vector(9 downto 0);

begin

case v_state is

when S_RESET 
=>

v_number := "0000000000";          --reset counter to zerp
           v_err 
:= '0';                    --error value 0
           v_full 
:= '0';                   --full 0
           v_empty 
:= '1';                  --empty = as full reset
           v_state 
:= S_EMPTY;

when S_EMPTY =>
            if (
out_pin '1'then
                v_state 
:= S_ERROR;

elsif (in_pin '1'then
                    v_number 
:= v_number 1;

v_state := S_NORMAL;
                    else 
null;

end if;

when S_NORMAL =>

v_full := '0';

v_empty := '0';
            if (
in_pin '1'then

if (out_pin '1'then
                    v_state 
:= S_NORMAL;
                    else

v_state := S_ADD;

end if;

elsif (out_pin '1'then
                v_state 
:= S_SUB;
                else 
null;

end if;

when S_ERROR =>

v_err := '1';

v_state := S_ERROR;

when S_FULL =>
            if (
in_pin '1'then
                v_state 
:= S_ERROR;

elsif (out_pin '1'then
                    v_number 
:= v_number 1;

else 
null;

end if;

when S_ADD =>
            if (
v_number "1111111110"then
                v_number 
:= "1111111111";

v_full := '1';

v_state := S_FULL;
                else

v_number := v_number 1;

end if;

when S_SUB =>
            if (
v_number "0000000001"then
                v_number 
:= "0000000000";

v_empty := '1';

v_state := S_EMPTY;
                else

v_number := v_number 1;

end if;

when others => null;

end case;

next_state <= v_state;

err <= v_err;

full <= v_full;
    empty <= 
v_empty;

number <= v_number;                    

end process;

end struct

And that'd be the code

I'm baffled as my 24hr clock component works perfectly!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back