Anybodys portable rig come close to their home setup?
May 25, 2007 at 10:33 AM Post #31 of 58
Nope. Portability = Compromise unless you consider full sized cans portable. I mainly use my portable setup to isolate myself from the noise in the subway, the sound itself is acceptable but nowhere near as good as my home rig.

May 25, 2007 at 3:44 PM Post #32 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by zombieDave /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd recommend getting into the vintage PCDP game (read Duncan's extensive older thread reviewing this topic) and picking up a quality unit; investing in a decent (for the PCDP's line-out jack) DIY mini-to-mini cable; using your high-end RSA quality amp ; powering the above via battery power (for its cleanliness); and top it off with a pair of your high-quality cans.

I did the above and ended up selling off my home rig (Rotel HDCD player, custom Millet Hybrid amp, quality IC's all around, custom EQ, custom x-feed) because I didn't feel I was missing much at all by using the newer, smaller systems. I now own 3 very different high-quality (IMO) transportable/portable rigs and feel I'm missing very little to nothing at all.

I do realize my home rig is not as fantastic or as expensive as any of the true high-enders around these pages, but it was a "home rig" and I did replace it with a "portable rig", as you had asked, and I'm very happy to have done it. Plus, I still have money enough to actually buy a new CD every Tuesday!
icon10.gif

really???? this sounds like the perfect solution for me. can anyone else verify this?? thanks !!

May 25, 2007 at 6:06 PM Post #34 of 58
I've got an AIWA XP-3 on the way from ebay... 15 bucks shipped!
biggrin.gif

Let's see if it'll compare to my 0404....

May 25, 2007 at 7:22 PM Post #36 of 58
Nope. My home rig is an RSA XP-7 with upgraded opamps. I'll soon have my Lavry DAC as well. I may upgrade that even more, then move that to the office.

So in short, no.
smily_headphones1.gif

GAD

May 25, 2007 at 9:47 PM Post #38 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Razoramus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nope. Portability = Compromise unless you consider full sized cans portable. I mainly use my portable setup to isolate myself from the noise in the subway, the sound itself is acceptable but nowhere near as good as my home rig.

x2. I don't see myself walking around with my K601 with it's 2 meter cord, let alone riding the subway. I could see sitting in my yard listening to it. Then it would at least come close to my home setup.

May 25, 2007 at 9:56 PM Post #39 of 58
My portable rig has now caught up so that it sounds as good as my home rig. They are very different sounds, though. My home rig is tubey and lush (not counting Stax, which has its own sound), and my portable rig is intimate and detailed. In the past, I used to think of portable listening as a compromise, but now (as my gear has been upgraded) I don't feel I'm missing anything from my home rig.

I am still consistently blown away by how good my portable rig sounds, and with IEMs that sound is available anywhere, despite background noise. If I could only keep one setup, I would ditch my home rig without hesitation.

May 27, 2007 at 5:43 AM Post #40 of 58
home rig (5.5 ipod or stock coundcard to sr60 with tubesock mod) wins over portable (ipod to e2c). Hey, im new here, and i havent heeded all the warnings telling me to run away from this eeeeevil place......which is why im about to order a govibe v5...o well.

May 27, 2007 at 1:51 PM Post #41 of 58
My portable can't come close to my home rig. The difference is just the source. Thus, the iMod comes into play. Hope this will even the odds.

Jun 2, 2007 at 3:12 AM Post #42 of 58
They'll never be equal - but they're all great. And I suspect that even though I love my setups at home and in the office, I am not the only one who also listens to the portable rig at home (at night for instance...)

Dec 31, 2007 at 9:40 PM Post #43 of 58
Hi all, I have a really great portable rigg that includes very old- almost 30 year old Sony Discman D2T Player-which I think is the great portable Cd player ever made,- my Stax SRDX Pro and or my Stax SRDX non Pro- with either of my Stax Omega twos, Stax Sigma Pro, Stax Sigma non pros, Stax 4070 Pro, or at times-depending upon means of travel my Sony Discman D2T with my Sennheiser HD600s.
Bye the way- The Sony Discman D2T takes 4 AA batteries and also has an outlet adapter for wall use. It comes up on Ebay every once and a while.
I love all the options available to me with this setup. I must say that the SRDX Pro is one incredible piece of equipment!
Enjoy Scottsmrnyc

Dec 31, 2007 at 10:00 PM Post #44 of 58
My portable rig far exceeds my home rig, but that's because my home rig is only a Yamaha CDP. I haven't invested much in it as I'm not around enough to get the full benefit out of it.

Jan 1, 2008 at 1:23 AM Post #45 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottsmrnyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi all, I have a really great portable rigg that includes very old- almost 30 year old Sony Discman D2T Player

Did it go through a time warp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back