Anybody who has tried both E1DA 9038S Gen 3 and Hidizs S8: What are your thoughts on the two and which one do you prefer?
Sep 11, 2020 at 7:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

100+ Head-Fier
I am looking at getting either the 9038s Gen 3 or the Hidizs S8 and both seem to be pretty decent but I do not know which one to get over or what are the differences. Anybody that has tried both can you share your thoughts on the two and compare them to each other?

EDIT: Also looking at the tempotec sonata hd pro and tempotec idsd plus. Also btw the sonata hd pro is the oem version of the S8 and costs a lot cheaper while having the same everything including firmware but except for the chassis probably. And the idsd plus being oem of the hidizs hd1000

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2020 at 4:42 PM Post #2 of 3
9038s Gen 3 - Analytical and clinical. Clean sound. You can hear every note with pin point accuracy. Superb imaging and expansive soundstage. Every note has its own space and are relatively thin. However the analytical sound signature can be a little boring and annoying. A tad bight. Very resolving.

Hidizs S8 - A very subdued sound signature. Lacks dynamics and impact. Every note sounds softened. Not very resolving. Sound signature can be described as pleasant warm.

Nextdrive Spectra X - Biggest soundstage. Treble is a little peaky and uneven. Best bass of all dongle DACs I have tried. Midrange is pretty great too. Great dynamics and impact. This can hit like a truck. The Treble holds it back. Good resolution.

Dense Audio Adapt Reference - Best Imaging. Everything can be pointed with pin point accuracy and then some. Thicker notes than 9038S. Sweet and pleasant midrange. Treble is extremely smooth and pleasant. Bass lacks some dynamics. Great Soundstage and Good Resolution.

Lotoo Paw S1 - Very neutral sound signature. Too sterile - DAC equivalent of a dry biscuit. Sounds dry and lifeless. Good Imaging, Soundstage and resolution. Did not enjoy the sound signature.

For my preferences: Adapt Reference > Spectra X = 9038S > S1 > S8

Sep 12, 2020 at 1:47 AM Post #3 of 3
9038s Gen 3 - Analytical and clinical. Clean sound. You can hear every note with pin point accuracy. Superb imaging and expansive soundstage. Every note has its own space and are relatively thin. However the analytical sound signature can be a little boring and annoying. A tad bight. Very resolving.

Hidizs S8 - A very subdued sound signature. Lacks dynamics and impact. Every note sounds softened. Not very resolving. Sound signature can be described as pleasant warm.

Nextdrive Spectra X - Biggest soundstage. Treble is a little peaky and uneven. Best bass of all dongle DACs I have tried. Midrange is pretty great too. Great dynamics and impact. This can hit like a truck. The Treble holds it back. Good resolution.

Dense Audio Adapt Reference - Best Imaging. Everything can be pointed with pin point accuracy and then some. Thicker notes than 9038S. Sweet and pleasant midrange. Treble is extremely smooth and pleasant. Bass lacks some dynamics. Great Soundstage and Good Resolution.

Lotoo Paw S1 - Very neutral sound signature. Too sterile - DAC equivalent of a dry biscuit. Sounds dry and lifeless. Good Imaging, Soundstage and resolution. Did not enjoy the sound signature.

For my preferences: Adapt Reference > Spectra X = 9038S > S1 > S8

Thanks for what you have provided. Might go for the 9038s or the Adapt. Also with the 9038s the only issue you got was that the sound sig can be a bit boring? Also what are some advantages and disadvantages of both 9038s and Adapt when compared to each other? Also because of the iDSD Pro being cheaper than the Adapt and is half the price of the Hidizs DH1000 I do not know if it is actually better to go with than the Adapt.

EDIT: I might go with the 9038G3 over the iDSD Pro because it cost cheaper and has a newer, better DAC although the 9038 only does balanced. Also does the use of dual amp/dac in the iDSD there to give balanced and unbalanced outputs for each outputs separately? Also most likely the 9038 over the Adapt because the 9038 costs considerably less than the Adapt and 9038g3 seems to be more neutral sounding based on what you described.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back