Anybody using this rig?
May 5, 2002 at 8:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Huck

100+ Head-Fier
Wonderin if anyone is using the same rig as me, as I have a question relating to this gear.Cambridge Audio 500D se, ASL Head OTL,Senn HD-600. I have had the cans for about 2 months and have noticed that most of the music sounds muffled or to describe it better, it sounds like the music is being played through a "wet wool blanket". I upgraded to the Cambridge after listening to a 10 year old Yamaha, but this sound is still there!.I have also changed out the stock Sovteks for Teslas and kept the stock Ei 12ax7. I have the stock headphone cable and Wireworld AtlantisIC's. Is this "laid-back" sound a trait of the Senn's or the Head- or both?. The better recorded c.d.'s don't sound as bad, I have a lot of mediocre sounding discs that I listen to. Good recorded discs, it seems to me are hard to find. Maybe I should just listen to better discs? Hope this whole thing makes any sense and hope you have some ideas. Thanks. Huck

May 5, 2002 at 9:48 PM Post #2 of 6
Hi Huck,
Suggestion: GRADO!
Unfortunately, Grados and the MG Head don't like each other. But if you're looking for a more up-front, detailed sound, to my ears, Grado is the way to go.
BTW.....I have the Senns and the Head, with an AMC CDP, and although I wouldn't characterize the sound as listening through a "wet blanket," I've always felt the Senns are veiled......like they're hiding something. Others disagree, and find them very revealing.............go figure.
biggrin.gif

May 5, 2002 at 9:52 PM Post #3 of 6
I think the cheapest solution for you is to get a solid state amp like something from JMT. It should bring the sound a little more forward than the HEAD and pick up the past a bit.
Although I must say, I did really enjoy the MG HEAD and HD600 combo.
Also, try a cable upgrade for Senns. The clou cables may be a good option for you.

May 6, 2002 at 8:39 AM Post #4 of 6
You need some different tubes in that MG Head. The Head can sound better especially with regard to the HD600.

Still, the blanket sound, IMHFO, does not go away completely with the MG Head. I found the Melos, RKV, MID and Max to all be better in this regard but all of these amps cost more and people call me an elitist snob for saying such things (rather than the true reason for me being an elitist snob, that I'm simply better than they are).
wink.gif

Anyway, yeah, try a new tube if you like the sound in general. Also, I second the notion that a better headphone cable might help but disagree that the Clou is that cable. I'm waiting for my Cardas cable to arrive personally.

May 6, 2002 at 8:52 AM Post #5 of 6
An appropriate 5751 tube will give you the highs you are looking for. Ditch the Ei 12ax7. Check the link in my signature file below.

I have used a Raytheon 5751 and Sylvania 5751 and there's nothing "blankety" about either of them... even with my Senn 580's. Highs are crisp, lush, and beautiful.

With the MG Head, it's all about the center tube.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back