Anybody using the latest maxxed Xin SuperMacro-IV currently?
Jan 11, 2009 at 12:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

EFN

Headphoneus Supremus
I was just wondering if there's anybody using the maxxed configuration for SuperMacro-IV. This used to be the flagship amp for Dr. Xin and I guess it still is.

I am curious how the maxxed and stacked SuperMacro-IV like the pic below sounds like:
imgp0555s.jpg

imgp1968.jpg

I am thinking of collecting all Xin Amps.....
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 11, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #2 of 12
Dr. Xin has been working on the mini jacks due to some customers indicating they loosen over time. I believe he has corrected the situation and I believe he will be sending me one to test. Although I believe this will be after the Reference testing is completed.

Jan 12, 2009 at 1:47 AM Post #3 of 12
Is this, indeed, still the flagship of the amps, or has the Reference supplanted it?? Don't know, just curious. And what I wonder would this maxxed out unit cost???

Jan 12, 2009 at 8:44 AM Post #4 of 12
I think Reference is going to be the new flagship for Xin products.

Jan 12, 2009 at 2:58 PM Post #5 of 12
I'm using the IV with a 8620 and x2 634 buf. Sounds pretty good. Not the soundstage of a full sized amp but does open it more than a portable source. I have to run it to 1-2 pm to get decent sound from full sized cans but will overdrive and cause static when pushed past. This is with RS-1s. The k701 is only fairly driven, not well.

Jan 13, 2009 at 2:24 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm using the IV with a 8620 and x2 634 buf. Sounds pretty good. Not the soundstage of a full sized amp but does open it more than a portable source. I have to run it to 1-2 pm to get decent sound from full sized cans but will overdrive and cause static when pushed past. This is with RS-1s. The k701 is only fairly driven, not well.

Something is not right, if you are using double stacked buffers driven by the AD8620 and you have the gain set to high (2nd switch which raises the gain from 3 to 8) plus the 3rd switch which adds a 75 ohm resistor (P to S) is not engaged you would be deaf with the volume at 2 o'clock driving the RS-1. Please check your switches as well as your batteries to make sure they are not drained.

Jan 13, 2009 at 2:11 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Something is not right, if you are using double stacked buffers driven by the AD8620 and you have the gain set to high (2nd switch which raises the gain from 3 to 8) plus the 3rd switch which adds a 75 ohm resistor (P to S) is not engaged you would be deaf with the volume at 2 o'clock driving the RS-1. Please check your switches as well as your batteries to make sure they are not drained.

I doubt he is using stacked buffers.

Jan 14, 2009 at 1:03 AM Post #8 of 12
still wanna know what that bad boy would cost.

Jan 14, 2009 at 2:39 AM Post #9 of 12
I didnt think xin was taking any new orders, just clearing his current ones and then calling it a day

Jan 14, 2009 at 2:59 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didnt think xin was taking any new orders, just clearing his current ones and then calling it a day

Hmmm. you see. Dr.Xin actually make amps simply because he is crazy about building them - from what I have observed he didn't really care if anybody buying them. It's like trying to unravel the mystery of "which one come first, the chicken or the egg" - and Xin is determined to brainstorm his scientist brain to solve the mystery.....now substitute those eggs with amps
biggrin.gif

Jan 14, 2009 at 3:03 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by theory_87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I doubt he is using stacked buffers.

If you are referring about the OP maybe. If about Dr. Xin's amps yes he uses stacked buffers in some versions of his Supermacro IV. Go to his site and you will see what I am talking about.

Jan 14, 2009 at 3:13 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are referring about the OP maybe. If about Dr. Xin's amps yes he uses stacked buffers in some versions of his Supermacro IV. Go to his site and you will see what I am talking about.

Yup. I mean OP. I'm getting the stack buffer maxxed out when Xin sending over the new Reference together. In this way I can save Xin and myself some $ for shipping and able to compare both of them after I burn them in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back