Anybody using PDA as GPS navigation devices?
Nov 25, 2006 at 11:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

ls20

1000+ Head-Fier
ive been looking into dedicated portable car GPS units (such as TomTom, Garmin Nuvi, etc) and was made aware that PDAs can serve the same function.

Can someone familiar with both them compare both systems and answer some basic questions for me?

1. what is the avg cost for a pda unit and necessary accessories for adequate functionality and capability?
2. do the screen displays on PDAs have problems in bright sunlight?
3. can PDAs be connected to 12v power source for constant operation?
4. are there free navigation software available or are most pay-only?
5. how is the accuracy with PDAs? WAAS-like?

I dont currently have a PDA and i dont have a dire need for a PDA but if it has navigation capabilities at 80% of the dedicated GPS units then itd be like a 2-in-1!

Nov 25, 2006 at 11:34 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by ls20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ive been looking into dedicated portable car GPS units (such as TomTom, Garmin Nuvi, etc) and was made aware that PDAs can serve the same function.

Can someone familiar with both them compare both systems and answer some basic questions for me?

1. what is the avg cost for a pda unit and necessary accessories for adequate functionality and capability?
2. do the screen displays on PDAs have problems in bright sunlight?
3. can PDAs be connected to 12v power source for constant operation?
4. are there free navigation software available or are most pay-only?
5. how is the accuracy with PDAs? WAAS-like?

I dont currently have a PDA and i dont have a dire need for a PDA but if it has navigation capabilities at 80% of the dedicated GPS units then itd be like a 2-in-1!

If you don't need a PDA, then it's more trouble than it's worth. Outside of the PDA purchase, you will also need a GPS receiver and software. There may be freeware or "warez" out there, but honestly, the mapping software is so comprehensive, you don't want garbage. It would defeat the purpose of getting it if it was leading you wrong or did not have the points of interest you need/want.

I have a Garmin Nuvi 650 for the car that I think is just awesome.

I have been thinking of buying the receiver/software to use with my cellphone (Nokia N80) but I would not let it replace my standalone unit. Just to have a GPS always available would be amazing.

Nov 26, 2006 at 12:28 AM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Squeek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you don't need a PDA, then it's more trouble than it's worth. Outside of the PDA purchase, you will also need a GPS receiver and software. There may be freeware or "warez" out there, but honestly, the mapping software is so comprehensive, you don't want garbage. It would defeat the purpose of getting it if it was leading you wrong or did not have the points of interest you need/want.

I have a Garmin Nuvi 650 for the car that I think is just awesome.

I have been thinking of buying the receiver/software to use with my cellphone (Nokia N80) but I would not let it replace my standalone unit. Just to have a GPS always available would be amazing.

On my shortlist of standalone units are the Nuvi 350/360/660. Im not too big on POI or things like that. My main criteria are accuracy, legibility and user interface for point-to-point navigation. If it approaches the Nuvi on those aspects, Id be satisfied.

Nov 26, 2006 at 12:29 AM Post #5 of 10
About one and half year ago I bought Magellan RoadMate 700, it was among the best GPS receivers available in the market, and I paid $900 for it. It was very good and it helped me countless times.

Today you can find it for $300 on ebay.

#$@%@......

Nov 26, 2006 at 12:53 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by JahJahBinks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
About one and half year ago I bought Magellan RoadMate 700, it was among the best GPS receivers available in the market, and I paid $900 for it. It was very good and it helped me countless times.

Today you can find it for $300 on ebay.

#$@%@......

I guess you bought it on B&M store.
wink.gif

Btw for the original poster, IME you'll better with buying a stand alone GPS instead of using pda. I have a sony clie pda and I once bought the gps kit for it. Big mistake, Yes it told me the route but that's it, when you missed a turn, those kit only tell you that you're not on that route
blink.gif
instead of recalculating & making new routes for you. The next day I sold that gps kit on ebay and bought Garmin 2610, best decision I ever made and the garmin worth every penny its msrp asking for (obviously I'm not paying the msrp but I will gladly pay that msrp if there's no cheaper price to be had).

Nov 26, 2006 at 1:21 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by ls20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On my shortlist of standalone units are the Nuvi 350/360/660. Im not too big on POI or things like that. My main criteria are accuracy, legibility and user interface for point-to-point navigation. If it approaches the Nuvi on those aspects, Id be satisfied.

I believe all the 350/360 Garmin units are identical in terms of software, they differ in screen size and the 360 has more mp3 playback capability, along with bluetooth connectivity. Not worth the extra $100 IMO.

I have yet to try the software for my phone, but I doubt it will be of the same quality...jack of all trades master of none.

**edit** the points of interest are of much more use than you may predict. Being in a strange place and looking for a particular kind of food/service/rest stop is one button push. Otherwise you need to know the address. Hell, it's even useful in your own city. I was craving a Dairy Queen treat one day while driving but the closest DQ I knew of was further than I was willing to drive. Little did I know there was one 1.8km away from where I was!

Nov 26, 2006 at 1:58 AM Post #8 of 10
Squeek says:
Quote:

Being in a strange place and looking for a particular kind of food/service/rest stop is one button push.

I have been very happy using a 12 inch PowerBook with Google Earth. I make overlays before my trip with free hotspots, restaurants, places of interest, hotels, directions to the hotel etc. ...

The handhelds are too small or I'm too blind.
tongue.gif

EDIT: I also like to paste a lot of info into iCal and then transfer it to the iPod.

Nov 26, 2006 at 2:25 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by JahJahBinks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have never seen any electronic product depreciate this much.

I don't think that's the case though, GPS devices seems to sell a lot cheaper in the internet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back