Anybody use a shelf for their amps?
Jul 17, 2002 at 10:03 PM Post #2 of 20
If you've never bought anything from audioadviser before, you might ask yourself a question:

"do you feel like receiving junk mail for the rest of your life? Well, do ya?"

It must be the stupidest audio catalog I've ever seen. Every, EVERY single thing they sell results in a ...noticeable improvement in soundstage... greater blackness... blah blah blah.

I bought Salamander Synergy racks (a twin 20 + a S20 extension for the lounge, and a S30 for the study) and I like them a lot. When a part was missing (3 lefts and only one right shelf mount...) they sent me two spares of each kind right away. Very solid, you can change the shelf arrangement and they look good. If there's one criticism it is that you have to take the top off to add a shelf - I have heard they have a shelf mount that you can add without disassembly but I have never seen one.

Jul 17, 2002 at 10:12 PM Post #3 of 20
there any other options? (for cheaper?)

wink.gif

Jul 18, 2002 at 4:27 PM Post #4 of 20
A good, cheap alternative would be to purchase an Ikea Lack coffee table, and instead of screwing the supplied legs into the table top, to screw in brass cones (Cdn$25 for a set of four w/ support discs) or spikes instead. This is what I've been using, and it works quite well.

- Wasif.

Jul 18, 2002 at 6:07 PM Post #5 of 20
Hey Acid,

remember that Target wall bracket that I picked up at Decibel?I have three of those now and they work so much better than floor shelves.I know you can't go drilling holes in you walls so I also like plain old ( but really nice looking) butcher blocks.They weigh a ton but do a great job.I use them with large spiked cone feet.They are available all over the place but there is a place that does custom work right over on Randolph street in the market district.

Jul 18, 2002 at 6:54 PM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by wasifazim
A good, cheap alternative would be to purchase an Ikea Lack coffee table, and instead of screwing the supplied legs into the table top, to screw in brass cones (Cdn$25 for a set of four w/ support discs) or spikes instead. This is what I've been using, and it works quite well.

- Wasif.

Where can I buy one?

Jul 18, 2002 at 7:09 PM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Where can I buy one?

You can buy the Ikea coffee table at your local Ikea.
There are a few threads on this table at the audioasylum. It appears to work quite well as an equipment stand. Some people are even using it with their high-end turntables!

Jul 24, 2002 at 7:52 PM Post #10 of 20
I built myself an "audio rack," but I just used spare wood found in my garage
eek.gif
. It's actually pretty nice now that I painted it black, but it took me a long time to cut all the wood and drill all the holes, etc etc. Due to the design of the shelf, it needed 48 screws! The good part is that my total cost was paint ($6) + primer ($6) = $12.
cool.gif

Jul 24, 2002 at 9:02 PM Post #12 of 20
I use 1" thick marble slabs underneath my Audiovalve tube Monoblocks. We ground scored them in the scraps behind a tile shop. Just add some vibrapods and isolation couldn't be any cheaper. Looks really cool with the AudioValve Amps. (Same as the RKV)

Jul 26, 2002 at 8:57 PM Post #13 of 20
Well, I'm going to make my own amp stand. I went to Crate and Barrel and picked up a thick wood cutting board that was 12" x 16" for $17.99. I will install some sort of legs for support and I should still be under $30.

Jul 27, 2002 at 5:58 AM Post #14 of 20
Acid Musicdirect has those cone feet that you saw me buy a bunch of on sale now(actually everything is on sale) at 15% off.That would make to total cost of your project under $40.00.you know you are gonna have to post pics when you're done with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back