anybody tried this?
Mar 27, 2003 at 7:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

grohan

New Head-Fier
I have some decent cables and power cords [ nordost blue heaven ICs, analysis plus oval 9 speaker cable and VD cryoed pc on hubble cryoed outlets. I am telling you that so I would not be suspected for a troll or for one that can not afford some decent wires ... ] and I am thinking to buy a pair of cardas neutral reference ICs.

digging on the net for info about cables, I found-the well known to some of you- sites stating that there is no significant difference between cables and the placebo effect is responsible for the percieved differences. I also find out-with considerable surprise that some audiophile sites[ sponsored by cable vendors, that has anything to do with the policy?] absolutely forbid blind cable testing talk...That REALLY intrigued me. I am a doctor. In medicine now our religion is the well done DBT-double blind test.

ok, enough introduction. I am thinking about a single blinded test [ nobody can ban me ' cose is not DBT
tongue.gif
] to test some ICs. I recently ordered a Philips 963 sa. I am planing to order an other one [ and returned it later...], let them break in about the same time, than ask my wife to hook the cdp with different ICs, obviously without me knowing what she's doing...plus some kind of blanket to cover the rear of my rig. The cps will be hooked to different inputs of the same amp-the MF dual mono A300. I'll put the same cds[ I do have some doubles around] and hit the play buttons at once. Thus, just by using the amp remote, I'll be able to switch the cables in no time, while writting down the impressions. Also, thinking about inviting about half of dozen friends to take the test with me.

What do you think? Any suggestions to improve the test? I'll get a pair of the most expensive ratshack cables to be compared to fancier wires...

Mar 27, 2003 at 7:21 PM Post #2 of 2
I've not tried this - but here at college we've done some single blind testing for some stupid crap (for example the differences between ho-hos and swiss cake rolls, and mr. pibb and dr. pepper). It's alot of fun no matter what the outcome - I've only done cable comparisons by myself, fully knowing which wire was which - I'll be very interested to hear the results of this if in fact it does come together.

-dd3mon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back