Anybody tried an internal rewire of the LCD-2?
Apr 26, 2011 at 11:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

flargosa

500+ Head-Fier
I want to do an internal rewire of my LCD-2 but don't know how to remove the xlr plug, the piece attached to the headphone, not the cable.  Anybody done this succesfully?  I want to either replace the internal wire or remove xlr plug and do a straight wire, from 1/4 plug to cable to the driver connector, no xlr connectors in between.  I did a straight cable to my Ultrasone 2500pro and it sounded better, hoping I can further improve the LCD-2 with the same type of mod.

Apr 27, 2011 at 1:03 AM Post #2 of 18
Its probably glued in and by attempting to remove it you risk cracking the wood which is fragile enough as it is. 

May 2, 2011 at 12:42 AM Post #4 of 18
I replaced it with some high purity silver. It is lightly glued into place and is threaded into the wood. 

May 2, 2011 at 3:06 AM Post #6 of 18
I think that is what I said. :^)

99.9999 purity 22 gauge from a special source. 

May 2, 2011 at 8:36 PM Post #8 of 18
How much twisting force did you have to put to unglue and unscrew the xlr plug?  Have you been able to take the leather ear padding out?  I tried to gently pull it, but it wouldn't come off, i want to replace the screw which transmit the signal from the wire to the driver or maybe just do a direct wiring and skip the screw all together, but gotta take the padding out first.  The screw transmit audio signal to the drivers, but it looks very ordinary.   

Quote:
I replaced it with some high purity silver. It is lightly glued into place and is threaded into the wood. 

May 2, 2011 at 8:43 PM Post #9 of 18
How much twisting force did you have to put to unglue and unscrew the xlr plug?  Have you been able to take the leather ear padding out?  I tried to gently pull it, but it wouldn't come off, i want to replace the screw which transmit the signal from the wire to the driver or maybe just do a direct wiring and skip the screw all together, but gotta take the padding out first.  The screw transmit audio signal to the drivers, but it looks very ordinary.   

shoot I was gathering the wire for the upgrade and a screw supplies the drivers that sucks.. I just pulled on the pads they seem like they will come off now I don't know if they will go back on easily hahaha

May 2, 2011 at 8:46 PM Post #10 of 18
It's almost funny...with all the money spent for aftermarket cables, that the internal wiring would appear to be so "ordinary".  Not sure if I want to mess with mine...

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

May 2, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #13 of 18
The nut that holds the wire in place is ordinary and not what I would have used but I don't want to mess with it as it connects on the other side and you could really mess things up. I have taken the ear pads off, carefully and they went back on but you don't need to take them off to replace the internal wire, which is also, ordinary. I noticed a little more transparency with the upgrade on internal wire but it is so short that I find it hard to believe that even though that is what I heard. In other words, I am not sure I would mess with it if you aren't sure what you are doing or you might break something. 

May 2, 2011 at 10:02 PM Post #14 of 18
Ok, I'll leave it as it is.  Mistakes on this one, like cracked wood, or a stripped screw hole can be costly.  though it is very tempting to mod, knowing that the screw and internal wiring is very ordinary and may be the least conductive material in the audio chain. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back