Anybody out there with experience involving USPS shipping to Ireland?
Feb 23, 2008 at 1:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

warrior05

Headphoneus Supremus
I have a customer who has been waiting 22 days for their package from me. I'm in New York and he is in Ireland. I sent the items in a USPS Priority Mail International Flat Rate envelope on Jan. 31st. USPS' Track and Confirm is totally useless. I talked to USPS today and they said that Priority Mail Int'l envelopes are not only untrackable but I can't even file a claim. I was wondering if anyone has had any kind of similar experience. I've shipped stuff all around the world and haven't had things take this long.

Feb 23, 2008 at 2:18 AM Post #3 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
USPS' Track and Confirm is totally useless. I talked to USPS today and they said that Priority Mail Int'l envelopes are not only untrackable but I can't even file a claim.

Hmmm, I'm in the UK and the longest I've waited for Priority Mail from the US is sixteen days.
So twenty two days is a pretty long time.

I'd suggest your customer call his local sorting office to tell them he's expecting a Priority Mail Int'l envleope (I do this with my own sorting office if I'm concerned that something's been lost.) At least they can look out for it.

I know Priority Mail parcels are handed to Parcelforce once they reach the UK, but I don't know about envelopes. And I think USPS stops tracking once it's in the UK (not positive about that, just a feeling)

If you filled in a customs form, there must be some info on that?

Feb 23, 2008 at 2:39 AM Post #4 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmm, I'm in the UK and the longest I've waited for Priority Mail from the US is sixteen days.
So twenty two days is a pretty long time.

I'd suggest your customer call his local sorting office to tell them he's expecting a Priority Mail Int'l envleope (I do this with my own sorting office if I'm concerned that something's been lost.) At least they can look out for it.

I know Priority Mail parcels are handed to Parcelforce once they reach the UK, but I don't know about envelopes. And I think USPS stops tracking once it's in the UK (not positive about that, just a feeling)

If you filled in a customs form, there must be some info on that?

He did contact his local sorting office and they said 4-6 weeks so we are still within the expected time according to them but that just seems totally ridiculous.

I'm more looking for personal experiences. We've both contacted our respective postal offices.

Feb 23, 2008 at 2:56 AM Post #5 of 36
you're still within time, you're being too anxious, to put it bluntly, once it is outside of the u.s. you cannot track it, the only way you can track something is through express mail or registered, also once it goes to customs, the usps has nothing really to do with it once it reaches that point, it's now the 'othersides' responsibility

Feb 23, 2008 at 5:04 AM Post #6 of 36
I don't think 3 weeks is unheard of. I've had more than one person tell me about packages being stuck in customs for a month or more.

For speed and tracking reasons, I generally ship only via EMS (global express) for packages going outside the US. It's rather expensive but it is the surest way to ship international. I only ship non-EMS only if the buyer wants it and is aware of the possible delay and untrackability.

Feb 23, 2008 at 4:13 PM Post #7 of 36
My experience has been 1-2 weeks for customers outside the US using int'l Priority Mail (average of 5-6 days), but it's very likely that customs in the destination country are prolonging the wait.

Feb 23, 2008 at 11:14 PM Post #9 of 36
I'm in Ireland and buy a fair bit from the US and always use USPS. Have yet to loose a parcel.

My recent experience is that just after christmas shipping was incredibly quick - 4 days. Then I had an order with mouser and it took 3 weeks to get here. Last week a guy posted me a parcel which I bought on Monday night and I had it Thursday.

So its up and down. One thing your friend needs to check for is if it is waiting in customs at his local PO. Most stuff comes in and they never charge for it. However, I believe that their new policy here now is that when the parcel arrives, they post you out a letter looking for taxes/duties due and you reply with a check or whatever. Then the parcel is released and you get it within a day or so.

So the buyer here needs to double check that one, but otherwise I would have said it shoulda been here by now. I take it you have checked that you had the right address etc etc...

Keep us posted (!) - I'm watching this with interest.

Fran

Feb 23, 2008 at 11:53 PM Post #10 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by fran /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm in Ireland and buy a fair bit from the US and always use USPS. Have yet to loose a parcel.

My recent experience is that just after christmas shipping was incredibly quick - 4 days. Then I had an order with mouser and it took 3 weeks to get here. Last week a guy posted me a parcel which I bought on Monday night and I had it Thursday.

So its up and down. One thing your friend needs to check for is if it is waiting in customs at his local PO. Most stuff comes in and they never charge for it. However, I believe that their new policy here now is that when the parcel arrives, they post you out a letter looking for taxes/duties due and you reply with a check or whatever. Then the parcel is released and you get it within a day or so.

So the buyer here needs to double check that one, but otherwise I would have said it shoulda been here by now. I take it you have checked that you had the right address etc etc...

Keep us posted (!) - I'm watching this with interest.

Fran

It has been frustrating that my customer has had to wait so long. And equally frustrating that it seems to be somewhat of a crapshoot when it comes to USPS International Mail. I've had good experiences using the USPS over the past few months. Packages I've sent to Hong Kong, Sweden, Belgium and the UK have all arrived at their destinations within a reasonable amount of time. So I was wondering if it was something particular with Ireland.

It would seem that patience is the key.
rolleyes.gif

Feb 24, 2008 at 3:09 AM Post #11 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It has been frustrating that my customer has had to wait so long. And equally frustrating that it seems to be somewhat of a crapshoot when it comes to USPS International Mail. I've had good experiences using the USPS over the past few months. Packages I've sent to Hong Kong, Sweden, Belgium and the UK have all arrived at their destinations within a reasonable amount of time. So I was wondering if it was something particular with Ireland.

It would seem that patience is the key.
rolleyes.gif

It is most likely that countries customs that is the hold up. And in that situation little can be done.

Feb 24, 2008 at 10:05 AM Post #12 of 36
It IS something particular with Ireland. I'm here for school, and the Irish have the ****tiest postal service I'm ever used. At least Canada Post does its job. I don't even get how I could pay for two day shipping, have the tracker say "arrived at destination", and still not have the damn package in my hand. I'd go on, but I'm afraid I'll drop the "f" bomb subconciously.

Feb 24, 2008 at 10:26 AM Post #13 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by eiop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It IS something particular with Ireland. I'm here for school, and the Irish have the ****tiest postal service I'm ever used.

Nonsense, you had a bad experience with the postal service here that could happen anywhere in the world.Packages not arriving on time IS NOT something particular with Ireland
rolleyes.gif
.I have been using the service here for over 20 years and have never had any issues.Google any postal company in the world and you will always get complaints, some more than others.

Feb 24, 2008 at 10:54 AM Post #14 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif

As "Priority Mail" is a(n out-going) service offered by Parcelforce, I'm inclined to believe that even the envelopes are handled by them. In which case, ask the recipient to key in the reference/tracking number into the Parcelforce system and see if it comes up with the package.

One highly plausible and common reason for the long delays is the slow processing through customs. Mail is selectively (more so than randomly) chosen to be screened by customs and if they do indeed decide to levy a charge against the recipient, then it can take quite a while for them to determine the amount. From personal experience, mail processed by Parcelforce is more likely to be charged import duties than those handled by Royal Mail. Having said all that, items usually zip through the customs even if import duties are required. (in my experience)

I have only had one bad experience with Parcelforce and that was when their computer system failed to register the fact that custom fees had to be paid and the parcel just sat in the local distribution hub for a week until I called up and asked them to do a "depot search". Nowadays, Royal Mail/Parcelforce won't deliver something unless the import duty/VAT is paid beforehand. That is why the reference number is so important, without which they can't perform any investigations into the whereabouts of the package.

Lately, I've also noticed that international mail from the US is taking longer than usual to arrive (waiting for a couple of packages), but that might just me imagining things. If you phone up your local Parcelforce depot, you might be 'greeted' by an automated message saying how there has been an increased amount of international mail lately hence explaining the delays.

Best of luck.

Feb 24, 2008 at 4:16 PM Post #15 of 36
Thanks for the thread and replies all. I am the customer in question. Some hope is sprouting from your replies that it will just take some more time than we had hoped for. Unfortunately Parcelforce doesnt come up with anything when I enter the USPS code. My local office says they cannot do a thing if I dont have a Irish barcode. How in heavens name should I have that? I think that guy is a bit ignorant so I better call customer service again to see if they got anything better to say. Like warrior05 said, I heard already that it can take 4-6 weeks but that just worries me for something so simple as an envelope. The frustrating thing about all this that I am just left in the dark really. Not much I can do.
mad.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back