Anybody out there hear CCM?
Mar 11, 2002 at 4:26 AM Post #31 of 45
I guess it costs alot to bring a band and equipment to the Islands. Alot of times when they come they will borrow amps and things. One time I loaned my drum set to a band and at the end of the show the drummer kicked them over. I didn't mind it was a beater set.

P&W make up about 1/10 of my collection. I love WORSHIPING our God. I also like jamming to good Christian music. Love the lyrics!

God bless, Christianbro

Mar 11, 2002 at 11:17 PM Post #32 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by Christianbro
P&W make up about 1/10 of my collection. I love WORSHIPING our God. I also like jamming to good Christian music. Love the lyrics!

This remindes me.... COOL VIDEO ALERT!!!

A friend loaned me volume 1 of First Love. Its a get together of a bunch of folks from the Jesus movement: Love Song, Barry McGuire, 2nd Chapter of Acts, Randy Stonehill, Terry Clark, and about 15 others. Kind of like the first Gaither Homecomming video's, but the original Jesus freaks instead of Southern Gospel. Lots of testimony and interviews with the singers/bands and others involved in the late '60s Jesus moment. The videos are about 1hr 45m each. They have a 2CD with 30 songs out, too. There is more info on it at the 2nd Chapter of Acts web-site.

Mar 21, 2002 at 4:08 AM Post #34 of 45
Anybody like Glen Campbell? My wife and I are going to see him perform this Friday with the Honolulu Symphony.

I don't follow him too closely, but was really blessed a few years ago when he returned to the Lord! He put out some really good CCM.

I know he'll be playing most of his classics, but hopefully he'll belt out some Gospel also.

God bless, Christianbro

Mar 21, 2002 at 9:24 PM Post #35 of 45
I've got his Wings of Victory CD and by the time I get to Phoenix LP. I live about an hour up the road from his old home town (Murfreesboro, Arkansas). His whole family are talented singers and musicians and often perform at Diamond Days and the Pike County Fair - Country/Blue Grass/Gospel

Tell me how Friday goes (and sounds.)
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 23, 2002 at 6:50 PM Post #36 of 45
The show was great. The Honolulu Symphony started off with the theme from E.T. and another piece. Then they brought out Pauline Wilson to sing with them. She's from Hilo, Hawaii and was the lead singer for the group "seawind" in the late 70's. Pauline loves jazz and blues. She kinda sounds like Maria Muldaur. The Symphony and Pauline connected.

Then they brought out this old guy dressed in red,white,and blue, who belted out " I'm Proud to be an American". Powerful!

The second half was all Glen. He came out singing "Wichita Lineman" and others, including "Gentle on My Mind," "Classical Gas," "MacArthur Park," and "True Grit." At one point he did a duet with his daughter, Debby. They combined "By the Time I get to Phoenix" and " I'll Say a Little Prayer". Have you ever seen them do that? If not, I'm sorry to say you're out of luck. They're going to shelve that selection. Too bad!

Man, Glen can do some pickin! He played the "William Tell Overture" behind his neck. At the end of the show, the crowd went crazy, yelling," More! More!" Glen gave Glory to God!

Later, Christianbro

Apr 26, 2002 at 4:42 PM Post #37 of 45
Just thought I'd check in with some recent finds on the CCM classic side. A local flea market dealer has had a bumber crop of 70-80s CCM records.

I bought a bunch and weeded out my Lawrence Welk, Dean Martin "Best of" 2nd rate-reissues, and Mantovani records to trade for the following:

Farrell & Farrell (Their first album)
Farrell & Farrell: Make Me Ready
Farrell & Farrell: Let the Whole world know - Live
Leon Patillo - Live Experience
Larry Norman - Only Visiting this Planet
Andreaus Blackwood & Co. - Soldier's of the Light
Imperials: Believe It (from 1970!)
Keith Green: FOR HIM WHO HAS EARS TO HEAR
Praise 6
Micheal W. Smith 2
Phil Keaggy: What a Day
Rogers & Price: Praise2 - Colour of Praise (I love the instrumental Colours series)
Don Fransisco - Live (2LP set)
and about 15 others

CDs of Late:
Randy Stonehill: Love Beyond Reason*
Chris Eaton: Vison*
Phil Keaggy: Way Back Home**
Steve Taylor: Squint ( I gotta be careful or I'm going to develope tinnitus listening to Bannerman)

* These are CDs of the mid '80s albums and were $3.95ea NEW. Alot of the songs on Vision were written by Chris Eaton and recut by Russ Taff, Margaret Becker & others. L.B.R. has a really good cut of Love Broke Through.

** Another bargin bin item for $6.95. The lables are releasing a BUNCH of stuff for $4-9 that is worth picking up so check your local Christian book stores

SHORTON: If you haven't heard it yet, check out Caedmon's Call: In the Company of Angels. It has a live, "unplugged" version of God of Wonders that's as good as the City on a Hill version.

And speaking of City on a Hill - has anyone gotten the second CD and would they like to comment on it?

Apr 26, 2002 at 5:18 PM Post #38 of 45
Yeah, I gotta say that Steve Taylor's "Squint" is one of my all time favorite CD's (along with just about everything else he has done). Steve is back producing and writing for the Newsboys again, after an absence of the last two albums, and what a difference. The Newsboys latest "Thrive" is easily their best album in five or six years, a good mix songs, some mellow, some rockin', and a couple of worship songs thrown in for good measure. I saw the Newsboys last weekend and they've stil got it after all these years, I think it has been 12 years since i first saw them in concert (but I've seen them another 12 times since).

I also got a chance to see Sonic Flood in concert for the first time last weekend, and was pleasantly surprised. Their set was mostly worship songs, although energized a bit more than your typical Sunday morning worship service, and I went out and bought their first CD a couple of days ago. Very good music.

We took a bunch of kids from our church last weekend to Indianapolis for an "Acquire the Fire" gathering, and along with some good speakers they had a number of CCM artists too: Newsboys, Sonic Flood, Superchick, Nicole C Mullen, and a couple of others.

I would definitely recommend the Newsboys' latest "Thrive" to almost anyone, there is something there for a variety of musical tastes.

-Keith

Apr 26, 2002 at 8:46 PM Post #39 of 45
Yes, Red. I bought this CD recently and IMPO is better than the first one, as hard as that can be. It has two wonderful songs at God of Wonders level: Sing, Alleluia and Our Great God. Both are Mac Powell-ful duets with Jennifer Knapp and Fernando Ortega, each one. Mac and Jennifer is a lightning experience, but the contrast between Mac ultra energetic voice and Fernando peaceful voice is out of this world. But you also have heavenly praise songs: You Are Holy, The Comforter Has Come and Hallowed and powerful pop hymns: Holy Is Your Name, Shine Your Light, Hide Me In Your Heart, and the rest is excellent too. Finally, the production and sound is wonderful, nothing will interfere with your joy and your spiritual flight! My suggestion: RUN TO BUY IT!!

Apr 27, 2002 at 3:24 AM Post #40 of 45
Good find Redneck! I found a Van Morrison album called "Avalon Sunset". It has some neat songs- "When Will I Ever Learn to Live in God" and "Whenever God Shines His Light". It was acquired in my new hunt for vinyl.

sacriste, your review of "City on a Hill 2" sounds good. I don't even have the first one yet, but after listening to you I'm going to get #2.

Have you heard Iona? davidcotton recommended them, but I havn't had a chance to check them out yet.

Thanks, Christianbro

Apr 29, 2002 at 5:00 PM Post #41 of 45
Who can name this song for me? (I don't know who does it, so don't give up and ask me
frown.gif
)

I'll never know how much it cost
to see my sin upon that cross

Here I am to worship
Here I am to bowdown
Here I am to say that
You are my God

Post to request more lyrics if these aren't enough.

Thanks guy,

Apr 29, 2002 at 5:55 PM Post #42 of 45
Apr 29, 2002 at 6:16 PM Post #43 of 45
Congratulations AR. You've done it again. Looks like a good albumn to get too.

Anybody heard it yet?

Dec 5, 2002 at 11:54 PM Post #44 of 45
(If you are just joining us, CCM stands for Contemporary Christian Music. Some of us here are Jesus Freaks)

Well time to resurrect another thread. First: CD’s I picked up this year worth mentioning.

*Stephen Curtis Chapman: Declaration – Great message and the music is a lot better than I thought it was from hearing the radio. But SCC is best heard live - more about this below.

*Mercy Me: Almost There – While I can only imagine is popular, I was surprised that the rest of the album is pretty good, but gotten so little air-play. They are also closer to groups like DC Talk/Newsboyz/Audio Adrenalin than what I thought (they are also touring with A.A. next year. )

*Michael W. Smith: Worship & Worship Again

*DeGarmo & Key: Destine to Win – a greatest hits compilation I got of the Mystery Box Tour in the Music Forum.

I went to three concerts this year, which is more than I’ve been to in the 10 years prior.

*Point of Grace/FFH back in February – Really good concert, but the sound started out a little rough and ear-splitting loud (mostly teen audience). P.o.G. is my wife’s current favorite group. Two are from LR so they seemed comfortable with the audience. Once the sound guys seemed to get the arena figured out it was pretty good, and the "light show" wasn't bad either.

*Stephen Curtis Chapman/Nicole Nordiman – If you go to CCM concerts, GO HEAR STEPHEN!! This was one Jesus-Rockin’-the-house-till-the-BACK-of-my-chest-was-vibrating-from-the-drums-long-haired-wild-man-on-the-keyboards-good-time-sterophonic-multimedia-Praisin'-God-event!! He sounds SO MUCH better live than the CDs. This show was awesome from the music & singing, to the “show” (light show, background, live-music-videos, etc.). The group he put together for this tour was great. The soundmen were right on the money (one of the reasons I don’t go to many concerts like this is that I get headaches from, what I thought was, the volume). Its just a great time when the message AND the music AND the show are good. I just can't say enough good things about it.
biggrin.gif

*Michael W. Smith/Point of Grace/Kara Christmas Concert – This was not the show that Stephen Curtis Chapman was, but great time with a lot of interaction between the artists and audience. The best part about it, to me, was that it was a team effort, with Point of Grace & Kara acting as the backup singers and then Michael functioning as the musician for the all or some of the girls as well as doing several instramentals. Music was a variety off of Michael’s Christmas Time CD and Point of Grace’s Christmas Story, with a few songs of the MWS Worship CDs as well. My personal favorite song of the night was Angus Dei.

Merry Christmas guys. May God give you a Musical and Peaceful New Year!

smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 15, 2011 at 11:26 AM Post #45 of 45
Don't know if they were mentioned in the thread, but Whiteheart (White Heart) was a great christian rock band. I'm not christian myself but the texts with the music form a wonderful marriage. Powerful ballads, up-tempo rockers and slick pop.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back