Anybody listened to "Wolfmother"?
Jun 5, 2006 at 12:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

peter braun

500+ Head-Fier
I have been listening to there debut album (self-titled?) on loan from a co-worker. Not too bad I would say, a good rockin album that is sufficiently raw while still being catchy. Anyone else heard or seen these guys?

Jun 5, 2006 at 4:42 AM Post #2 of 17
Awesome music.

Seen them live a few times. Have great energy. CD is really good, but to fully appreciate them you have to see them live. The dude's voice sounds BETTER in real life. It's amazing.

Jun 5, 2006 at 4:45 AM Post #3 of 17
Man, they were just in Portland about two or three weeks ago. I was going to see them but was at the end of a really long day and decided against it. Hopefully they will come around again.

Jun 5, 2006 at 6:20 AM Post #4 of 17
A friend loaned me the CD, but I hadn't checked it out until I read this thread. All that I'm hearing are 60's/70's rock cliches. Basically a mixture of Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin. I hope the CD gets better . . .

-BT

Jun 5, 2006 at 5:12 PM Post #5 of 17
Seeing them on the 7th of July
biggrin.gif

I really cannot wait!!

Jun 5, 2006 at 9:03 PM Post #6 of 17
I saw them open for the Flaming Lips a couple of months ago, and unfortunately wasn't that into them.

Jun 5, 2006 at 9:42 PM Post #7 of 17
Hmm, they are pretty massive in Australia and seem about to break elsewhere, but from my personal perspective, I already own Led Zeppelin records, so why would I need a Wolfmother LP?
tongue.gif
icon10.gif

Jun 7, 2006 at 12:44 PM Post #8 of 17
I've listened to it a couple times so far. It's a good debut. They have some potential. Not a great album, but a very good one. My only concern is that I haven't heard any really good musicianship on the album, but that can develop with time.

Jun 7, 2006 at 1:49 PM Post #9 of 17
They are great...but its all been done before, nothing new.

Like a top notch rip off. Still good, but essentially a copy.

I'd still but their stuff.

Jul 7, 2006 at 11:24 PM Post #10 of 17
Saw them today (well technically yesterday now) and OMG they were awesome!

I imagined them to be good live but they were better than I could of ever expected.

...Well, must shower now, just a tad sweaty (read: drenched) from the gig.

-Dom

Jul 7, 2006 at 11:35 PM Post #11 of 17
I recently tried the new self title. Havn't heard any other albums from them. They didn't really do anything for me to be honest. I may keep 'Woman' though. There just wasn't anything interesting going on. Im not trying to bash them, just not for me. Enjoy.

Jul 7, 2006 at 11:44 PM Post #12 of 17
I liked it better the first time, when it was called Led Zeppelin.
rolleyes.gif

Why settle for a pale retread just because it's "new" when you can have the REAL thing (which is infinitely BETTER)?

Don't be afraid of music with a copyright date prior to 1995!

Jul 8, 2006 at 9:50 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl
Why settle for a pale retread just because it's "new" when you can have the REAL thing (which is infinitely BETTER)?

Because you can see them live
biggrin.gif

..Most of my favourite bands are either dead or just disbanded, so it's refreshing to be able to go and see one live

Jul 8, 2006 at 3:49 PM Post #14 of 17
I like "Wolmother". I like Led Zep. Is there a problem with enjoying them both? Wolfmother may wear their influences on their sleeve, but they're honest about it. And the tunes on the s/t rock.

Jul 8, 2006 at 8:51 PM Post #15 of 17
I liked it the first time I heard their stuff, but now I've gotten extremely bored of it. Yeah and imo they are trying to copy led zep, but aren't doing that good of a job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back