Anybody listen to Progessive Power Metal?
Jul 23, 2005 at 2:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

citywithoutmetal

100+ Head-Fier
The skill of progressive metal is meshed with the melody of power metal to create the best form of rock out there; only Symphonic metal comes close.
Check out these bands if you're at all interested in rock music at all, you won't regret it.

Symphony X, Angra, Kamelot, Pagan's Mind, Lost Horizon

Jul 23, 2005 at 4:36 AM Post #2 of 15
Symphony X is without a doubt one of my favorite metal acts. The first run through Oddysey was an amazing experience.

Jul 23, 2005 at 6:29 AM Post #3 of 15
If you like those bands, you might like Ayreon. Check out Into The Electric Castle or The Universal Migrator.

Jul 23, 2005 at 10:19 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Girdag
Are they similar to Iced Earth?

Compared to Kamelot I would say that Iced Earth is "heavy power metal", but not progressive.

There's not many bands that reach up to Iced Earth in the power metal genre IMO.

Jul 23, 2005 at 11:47 AM Post #7 of 15
Depends on the vocal/music style used.........if they have the clean male vocals with "falsetto" high notes and "happy happy" music this is not for me, too much like some Power Rangers cartoon theme song. Unfortunate since the musician skills are top notch, but just not applied in the proper overall sound direction.
tongue.gif

If it is Iced Earth or Lost Horizon style.......yeah I can dig that and have many CDs, also some of the Blind Guardian stuff is cool.

Jul 23, 2005 at 7:30 PM Post #8 of 15
Blind Guardian is also one of my favourite bands.

Iced Earth (Jon Schaffer) + Blind Guardian (Hansi Kürsch) = Demons And Wizards, another great power metal band. Especially their first selftitled album is really good, the song "Fiddler on the Green" sends chills down my spine everytime I hear it
eek.gif
biggrin.gif

Jul 24, 2005 at 3:02 AM Post #9 of 15
Do I?

I'm going to see the Gigantour on the 10th of August!

Symphony X, Dream Theater, Megadeth and 6 other bands.

I"m DYING!!!!!!! And that will be heaven...

Jul 24, 2005 at 3:21 AM Post #10 of 15
I could hardly say that it's the best music genre out there, but I do enjoy the occasional progressive metal - progressive power metal in particular was an 80's thing, right? If so, would Megadeath count as such a group?

I'm in no doubt that Dream Theater is - and they're on the top of my progressive list.

Jul 24, 2005 at 4:52 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
progressive power metal in particular was an 80's thing, right? If so, would Megadeath count as such a group?

I'm in no doubt that Dream Theater is - and they're on the top of my progressive list.

not exactly.. the 80's produced more thrash and speed metal, which evolved into power metal and progressive power metal throughout the 90's.. although there was power metal in the 80's, as well. i would not say that Megadeth was one of these bands, though.. they are straight thrash. the apex of progressive metal in the 80's was Watchtower, IMO.

anyway, the distinction between thrash/speed and power metal usually is not very clear. Blind Guardian is a good example, i guess.. they essentially went from speed metal to epic power metal over the span of 16 years or so?.. so you could listen to some of their earlier vs. modern work to hear the difference.

also, progressive power metal is a somewhat different thing from progressive metal. you really cannot place Dream Theater under the progressive power metal flag, because they are missing the 'power' element which is present in bands like Elegy, Iced Earth, Stratovarius, Adagio, Evergrey, Ring of Fire, Sonata Arctica, Rhapsody, Blind Guardian, etc.. they are two rather different styles.

either way.. it's all great music, but i personally prefer progressive fusion. Gordian Knot fits my tastes more completely than any other prog band that i have ever heard.. and i've heard tons. GK is my perfect sound.

Jul 25, 2005 at 1:58 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by KyPeN
Do I?

I'm going to see the Gigantour on the 10th of August!

Symphony X, Dream Theater, Megadeth and 6 other bands.

I"m DYING!!!!!!! And that will be heaven...

I want those tickets! GIMME!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back