Anybody here owns a 105mm VR Nikkor Micro?
Jun 3, 2007 at 4:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

kin0kin

Headphoneus Supremus
While I've been waiting got 47stphoto to restock my backordered 150mm sigma, I'm contemplating getting the 105mm VR instead (which also seems to be OOS in many places now). Apparently both lenses are highly reputable and I've checked out nikonians, where second hand resale value is as high as 90%. I'm just wondering what kind of quality can you get out of hand holding the 105mm VR or is it just a gimmick as far as macro is concerned (since best way to shoot macro is to use a tripod)

oh btw, let me say a little of why I chose the 150mm sigma over other 100mm macros. I like the 150mm because of a greater working distance, and I get a wider range of DOF control over shorter focal length lenses. It doesnt extend when focusing, and focusing with HSM is alot more silent. I'd considered the tamron but it doesnt fit my needs as I stated above...the next candidate would be the 105mm nikkor.

Jun 3, 2007 at 5:30 AM Post #2 of 4
I don't have the Nikon 105VR, but I did own the Sigma 150 and switched to a Canon 100. So I'll post some thoughts...

I originally got the Sigma 150 because I liked shooting bugs and wanted the extra reach. As I added brackets, lights, etc. to my "rig," the thing was starting to get pretty heavy and 150mm started to get a bit hard to handhold. So I switched down to 100mm, which is easier to handhold not because of the size difference (actually they are almost the same size) but because of the shorter focal length. And no, I do not feel limited at all with the shorter lens. 50-60mm might be pushing it, but 100mm is perfect.

Oh and about VR...VR is nice for longer lenses with which lens shake can be a problem, but with macro, it's generally not the lens shake that results in blurry photos. The biggest cause of a bad shot is the fact that when we handhold, we also move forward and back. At such high magnification levels, a movement change of just a few millimeters will cause the subject to go OOF. So something like VR, which only corrects movement along the XY plane, won't help with movement along the ZX plane where the majority of macro mistakes come from. You'll notice this as soon as you start shooting a lot of macro.

Oh, and what do you plan to shoot anyway? Since you are considering a long lens like the 150mm, I assume you're after insects and such, in which case a tripod is usually not a good solution. Chasing down bugs with a tripod is like folding origami with a slice of bread.

Jun 3, 2007 at 6:22 AM Post #3 of 4
Yup, moving backward and forward could be a problem VR can't fix. Apparently, it's also a method to quickly with macro. I'd be shooting whatever I can get my cam on and I generally prefer a much longer working distance (hell yeah, I'm a tele freak)

This was taken at approximately 150mm:
4ft.jpg

I was about 4ft away from the subject....honestly...I'd probably be happier with a 180mm f3.5..

Jun 3, 2007 at 6:32 AM Post #4 of 4
Nikon does make a 200mm f/4 1:1 macro, you know...
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back