Anybody help to see if I need any portable amp?
Nov 16, 2011 at 2:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

nopolicy123

New Head-Fier
I have an iPhone 4 and I am using a pair of a-Jays Four and a pair of Monster Turbine Earphones. I found out that using my a-Jays Four, I have to turn my volume on my iPhone up alot until the volume bar is slightly more than 3/4. If I turn it down to 1/2 the volume bar, it sounds hard to decipher what the singer is singing and I don't feel the bass much. So, do I need an amplifier to fit my hearing needs?

Nov 16, 2011 at 3:47 AM Post #2 of 12

Personally i think its not that you need a amp(you can try, but i don't think its the root of the problem), i think the problem lies with your IEMs, you may wanna change to better suit your desired sound signature?

Other experienced members maybe more experienced in this area though

On a side note: I do remember the  jays being really easy to drive

Nov 16, 2011 at 4:32 AM Post #3 of 12
What do you mean by easy to drive? Sorry, I am new to this! So you think I should get a better earphone? Cause a high-end one will cost 200-300 and an amp like GoVibe Vulcan cost around 100+... So yeah I am confused which one to get...

Nov 16, 2011 at 4:55 AM Post #5 of 12
Well the specifications for the jays 4 if I'm not wrong it's 18 ohms, it's pretty low so technically you don't need a lot of power to bring them to near their full potential, a amp is usually useful when you need to drive high impedances earphones and headphones well to their supposed sound signature. Though, this has not stopped people from amping low impedances earphones/headphones as people have reported it sounds better, but unless you are using a really expensive amp, then maybe the difference could be night and day.

In my opinion, the more practical way for you  would be to change your earphones or EQ your source to achieve the sound you want.

I still recommend changing your earphones, it's not that expensive, it can be below 200, or even 100, look at the brainwavz series, sunrise, Vsonic or even the klipsch, all of them sounds better than the jays series to me personally.

Nov 16, 2011 at 5:00 AM Post #6 of 12
http://www.head-fi.org/t/541204/concise-multi-iem-comparison-fischer-audio-mightybug-fa977-ceramique-paradigm-v-3-consonance-tandem-sba-3-added-oct-27th-2011

Have a look at this, i think it'll make your decision much easier

Nov 16, 2011 at 5:30 AM Post #9 of 12
I think it's the latest for now, if I'm not wrong the jays 4 are just slighter better than the jays 3, use the link to find out what earphones fall within the sound signature you want.

I only tried the auravana 1st gen before sorry, so I can't comment on it sorry =(

Nov 16, 2011 at 5:31 AM Post #10 of 12
I think your okay with the volume turned up that high. I also have an Iphone 4 and even with my "efficient" IEMs I would regularly turn them up to around 3/4. I don't turn on any EQ on the Iphone. An amp may help a little, maybe look into a Fiio E6 it will bring out some of the missing detail at a little more reasonable volume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back