Anybody hear any news on the Headamp AE-1 refresh?
Mar 23, 2006 at 3:12 PM Post #31 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer
I don't either, it's an excellent amplifier with a lot going for it and several unique features no one else offers like battery life and RCA inputs.

Indeed, and dare I say that if the modifications Justin is making to its design live up to expectations it will be hard to beat in its category and at its price point.

Mar 23, 2006 at 8:34 PM Post #32 of 108
Can't wait: Mine is #025. The only problem is how i am going to part with my amp when it goes for upgrades. I can't imagine listening to music without my AE-1

Mar 23, 2006 at 11:33 PM Post #33 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by animalsrush
Can't wait: Mine is #025. The only problem is how i am going to part with my amp when it goes for upgrades. I can't imagine listening to music without my AE-1

Buy a second one!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 21, 2006 at 12:31 PM Post #34 of 108
UPDATE: Since no information on the AE-1 upgrade has been forthcoming from HeadAmp, I emailed Justin the other day about the status of the modifications. He replied, saying that he was now in the process of trying to track down a problem with static discharge entering the amp through the charging LED on the front panel and frying the LED. He said that this problem has only been reported in a very small number of AE-1s. Unfortunately, when I replied and asked if he had an ETA for initiating the upgrade program I received no response.

frown.gif

I realize that Justin is a one-man operation and has a lot on his plate, and that the AE-1 changes are probably not his #1 priority, but this really seems to be dragging on and on. After all this time I don't understand why he doesn't seem to have at least a general idea of when the new board and enclosure will go into production.

There. I had to vent a little frustration. I feel better now.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 21, 2006 at 8:09 PM Post #37 of 108
oh, man, that is NICE!!!! um... would it be going too far to say it looks sexy?
rolleyes.gif

i've had my eyes on the AE-1 for a long time and considered it to be THE amp i want since it incorporates everything i'm looking for. when i heard he was upgrading i decided to sit tight. i'm glad i did!

Apr 21, 2006 at 8:10 PM Post #38 of 108
Very interesting casework though it appears the the AE-1 still uses an unnecessarily large volume dial. It seems that the length of the dial could be shortened by half to decrease the overall physical dimensions of the product and still maintain adequate feel and usability while the 3.5mm inputs are occupied. It is a very nice piece and I look forward to reading more impressions about the devices updated sonic characteristics.

Best,
iDesign

Apr 21, 2006 at 9:09 PM Post #43 of 108
Just guessing, but the hole in the bottom is either just for the prototyope, or it might be for the gain swicth.

I think I am starting to regret selling mine.
eek.gif

Apr 21, 2006 at 9:52 PM Post #44 of 108
i think the AE-1 is a great amp, not just as a portable, but in general. if anyone is interested, my review of the AE-1 (which i got as a long term loan) can be found here. i keep meaning to pick one up, but i think i'll wait for the revision to come out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back