Anybody have the new Wyred 4 Sound uLINK?
Dec 19, 2012 at 5:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

robertsong

100+ Head-Fier
Available now: ->http://www.wyred4sound.com/webapps/p/74030/117839/803639

Wondering how it sounds and if it can hold its own against the Stello U3 and Audiophilleo1. I also wonder if it is an improvement over the built in usb receiver in the W4S DAC2.

Dec 20, 2012 at 6:27 PM Post #2 of 10
There is a review of this here.

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2012/12/wyred4sound-ulink-microlink-usb-spdif-convertor-review/

Looks interesting. Wonder how it competes against like prices USB converters like the V-Link 192.

I need a USB/SPDIF converter for the Rega DAC, as the USB implementation on it is not great at all.

Dec 22, 2012 at 2:38 AM Post #3 of 10
I got one last week: after installing driver it works flawlessly with my BADA-1 through both kernel streaming and asio.

Unfortunately this is my first usb adapter, so I cannot compare it to any similar product. My original target is Bel Canto ulink, but found this unit with the same name by coincidence. With its stock usb cable and a $6 Cable2Go BNC cable, my first rough impression is that it at least equals the digital output of my Lynx L22 card.

Dec 24, 2012 at 5:36 PM Post #4 of 10
Hi attilais. Does the LED on the ulink change color in accordance to the bit rate?

Jan 4, 2013 at 3:15 AM Post #6 of 10
Yes, this is #100 comment, phew lol. I have uDAC and really like it. They also have an uDAC HD now for headphone listening too. I picked the uDAC because I can hook up USB, Coax and Tos link, then change them at the flick of a switch. I was listening to SACDs and CDs from sony sacd player and out to a Musical Fidelity v-can amp for awhile. Then after switching to this I noticed improvement in sound from lossless files, which is what I was looking for from it. I think it improves the sound of my lossless files to better than straight out of CD player with even my best cds, but I too have not played with other external DACs on the market. You can get the trial uDAC for 14 days, and all it costs is shipping and down payment.    

Jan 18, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:
Yes, this is #100 comment, phew lol. I have uDAC and really like it. They also have an uDAC HD now for headphone listening too. I picked the uDAC because I can hook up USB, Coax and Tos link, then change them at the flick of a switch. I was listening to SACDs and CDs from sony sacd player and out to a Musical Fidelity v-can amp for awhile. Then after switching to this I noticed improvement in sound from lossless files, which is what I was looking for from it. I think it improves the sound of my lossless files to better than straight out of CD player with even my best cds, but I too have not played with other external DACs on the market. You can get the trial uDAC for 14 days, and all it costs is shipping and down payment.    

I think you are confusing the uLINK with the uDAC. They are two different products. This thread is about the uLINK, which is a USB to S/PDIF converter, not a DAC.

I'm still interested in reading any more impressions of the uLINK. Has anyone else had a chance to try it?

Jan 21, 2013 at 5:43 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

I think you are confusing the uLINK with the uDAC. They are two different products. This thread is about the uLINK, which is a USB to S/PDIF converter, not a DAC.

I'm still interested in reading any more impressions of the uLINK. Has anyone else had a chance to try it?

On the W4S site it's in the dac section, but you're right. I knew they were different but i didn't read about it until today. It says that if your dac doesn't have usb input then "Look No Further." As for quality and ease of set-up (even with my windows XP computer), if it's anything like my uDac, which it is, then you would not be disappointed. The big blue "W" only lights up when there's a signal going to it, so there's no confusion as to if you have it hooked up right. Anyway, you know you dig all those output options?

Apr 16, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #10 of 10
I have been listening to the uLink for a couple of months now.

What I can say is that it sounds much better than the digital out from my Transporter. I know that its an apples and oranges comparison. I'm using the Schiit Gungnir as a DAC. I switched from Squeezbox to USB with JRiver. Very happy with the switch.

The reason I bought the uLink is that I needed two digital outputs, a BNC for my Gungnir and an optical for my sub-woofer. The sound of both have improved by not a small margin. Deeper tighter bass, cleaner bigger better defined highs and mids. All good. I now feel that with the network Squeezebox I was polishing a turd. I'm now running the uLink off a 9v battery. Not sure about the sound differences with a battery, but its a no brain-er. When I bought the Gungnir I stayed away from their USB option, and bought it without. Glad I did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back