Anybody have experience with both e4c and se530?
Sep 21, 2008 at 7:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

straden

100+ Head-Fier
I've had my e4c since when it first came out, but I after reading various posts about se530 or triple fi...

I feel like spending money again. Does anyone actually own both e4c and se 530 or did? I'd like to torture myself more with your experiences!

Sep 21, 2008 at 7:49 AM Post #2 of 7
I used to own E4C and found them good for nothing. They sounds dull and need more high. I now own SE530 and although they still have high roll-off problem, they are much better phones and are good for many genres of music.
Just do some searchs and you should be able to find other opinions.

Sep 23, 2008 at 12:39 AM Post #3 of 7
Hey, long time listener to the forums, first time caller. I've been reading here on and off since 2005.

I currently have both the E4C and the SE530. I picked up the SE530 about a week ago, and I've been listening to them practically non stop.

Here's a quick summary of the differences in sound quality

In relation to the E4C, the SE530 has dramatically more bass whilst still maintaining accuracy. The 530's still have accurate, tight bass but with a very pronounced presence. You can practically feel the drums and lower end, and it makes electronic music really shine (I was using "CSS - Music is my Hot Hot Sex" as a reference where it REALLY shines)

The mids in the SE530 aren't as bright as the E4C. The SE530 by no means is lacking in mids, it just doesnt have the acerbic quality that the E4C's display (especially during guitar distortion). The mids in the 530's actually feel more distinguishable. I find it easier to determine strumming patterns with electric guitar distortion on in the 530's.

Honestly, the SE530's earphones are the closest sound you can get to live performances. I just saw CSS in concert this weekend and these phones REALLY sounded close to what the band intended their music to sound like.

Overall, the SE530 really outperforms the E4C's, and I'd consider it a good upgrade. I tried the SE310's before, and felt that they were just E4C's with boosted, but less accurate bass and tuned down mids.

Sep 23, 2008 at 12:20 PM Post #4 of 7
Great post HellaChinese just what I needed to hear. I'm in the decision process of deciding between the SE530s and the Triple.fi's and I think you have just made my mind up. Just like you I am coming from the E4's which I have had for a solid 2 years however they are started to break down
tongue.gif
I love the Shure sound signature and while I do want to try something different I think I will stick with my gut instinct and go the SE530.

Sep 23, 2008 at 10:02 PM Post #5 of 7
Thanks for the great summary!

I agree that e4c has awesome mids, I like how clear the sound is.

But now I've got Iphone, e4c sounds like lacking bass for my taste (damn ipods). I was looking for warmer earphone, I guess I need to pull the trigger...

Sep 23, 2008 at 10:37 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by straden /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the great summary!

I agree that e4c has awesome mids, I like how clear the sound is.

But now I've got Iphone, e4c sounds like lacking bass for my taste (damn ipods). I was looking for warmer earphone, I guess I need to pull the trigger...

I was actually impressed with the sound coming out of my E4's and iPhone 3g
confused.gif
I thought the pairing was quite good
tongue.gif

Sep 24, 2008 at 6:05 AM Post #7 of 7
Yea no prob p0int. I just wanna clarify my topic about the mids.

My reference song was: Iron Maiden - 2 Minutes to Midnight

I chose this because it has a lengthy beginning portion with only one electric guitar with no bass or highs

After sitting down for about 30 minutes and reviewing both the E4C and the SE530 side by side, I realized that the SE530's mids sound a lot more accurate and full. In comparison to the 530's, the E4C's mids almost sound too sharp. I can actually hear more mid detail on the 530's.

The 530's also capture the undertones present in the mids and give it a fuller sound. The E4C's lack bass and thus won't give the full low frequency undertones for the mids. This results in a relatively transparent sound in the beginning of the song.

My recommendation is to call your nearest Apple store and see if they have the SE530's. Only the bigger stores have it (I believe the only one in the whole Bay Area was San Francisco, when I called the other stores the most expensive Shure phones they had were the 310's)

Apple has a great return policy, and lets you return the Shure 530's even after theyre opened within 14 days of purchase. If you don't wanna pay the full price, you can return them at the Apple store and buy them somewhere online.

In addition, keep in mind that I don't find the E4C's mids too sharp or transparent. This is only in comparison to the 530's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back