Anybody has a squeezebox 3 and Zhaolu D2?
Jul 7, 2006 at 7:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

kin0kin

Headphoneus Supremus
I've always wanted to get a SB3 but the D2 seems to be very fussy with the digital input. I connected an optical from my on board sound to the D2 and a coax from my 1212m to the D2. The optical seems to click and pop whenever there is no signal, but with the 1212m signal is constantly being fed eventhough there is literally no signal being fed to the D2 (no music playing), it never pops with the 1212m coax -> d2 (muting circuit never kicks in). I was wondering if those who have the SB3 and D2, using coax, get any click and pop occasionally (or if the muting circuit ever kicks in when there is no music playing)

Jul 7, 2006 at 8:16 PM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by kin0kin
I've always wanted to get a SB3 but the D2 seems to be very fussy with the digital input. I connected an optical from my on board sound to the D2 and a coax from my 1212m to the D2. The optical seems to click and pop whenever there is no signal, but with the 1212m signal is constantly being fed eventhough there is literally no signal being fed to the D2 (no music playing), it never pops with the 1212m coax -> d2 (muting circuit never kicks in). I was wondering if those who have the SB3 and D2, using coax, get any click and pop occasionally (or if the muting circuit ever kicks in when there is no music playing)

I've not had any popping or clicking via either digital input on my D2 using an Audigy2 and AV710 on coax and optical respectively. I'll run a coax from my SB3 to the D2 and see how they get along in my system though.

Jul 7, 2006 at 8:47 PM Post #4 of 14
please do!
biggrin.gif
2 people confriming this would be good enough for me. There is currently one person I know of who's having the clicking/poping problem with this setup.

Jul 7, 2006 at 9:16 PM Post #6 of 14
ah! signal lock...could that be the reason? on my AC97, the signal aint lock so the mute circuit tends to kick in occasionally when there is no music. but with my emu, the signal is always locked. is there a way to set the signal lock on the SB3?

Jul 7, 2006 at 9:44 PM Post #7 of 14
If the connection is secure through a decent cable it should always have a signal lock even with no music playing. There's not really any settings to change for it.

Jul 7, 2006 at 9:47 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

I was wondering if those who have the SB3 and D2, using coax, get any click and pop occasionally (or if the muting circuit ever kicks in when there is no music playing)

On my rig, SB3 > coax > Zhaolu 2.0 (original headphone amp, CS4398, unmodded) results in no popping. The Z's signal light remains on.

Jul 7, 2006 at 10:22 PM Post #9 of 14
FWIW, I use Squeezebox 2-->coax-->Zhaolu 2.0 ad1852/modded without any problems...in fact, Squeezebox sounds considerably better as a transport than my Panasonic DVDS47.

Jul 7, 2006 at 11:02 PM Post #10 of 14
that's good news, im gonna get myself a SB3 middle of the month
biggrin.gif

the signal lock is programmable with my 1212m, it is suposingly possible to do so even with my on bioard card but im not familiar in it.

Jul 7, 2006 at 11:08 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by kin0kin
that's good news, im gonna get myself a SB3 middle of the month
biggrin.gif

the signal lock is programmable with my 1212m, it is suposingly possible to do so even with my on bioard card but im not familiar in it.

Are you referring to the signal rate maybe?
confused.gif

Jul 8, 2006 at 4:27 AM Post #13 of 14
I have SB2 and Z2 and have the popping issue using COAX out >> SB2 >> AMP >> speakers.

i'm using the volume control of the SB2 so i can connect the D2 directly to my amp. the problem goes away if I use the OPTICAL out.

it also works fine using SB2 COAX out >> Z2 >> Receiver >> speakers

Jul 9, 2006 at 10:03 AM Post #14 of 14
SELF DISCOVERY:

When I use foobar2000's SSRC resampler plugin and resample to 48 KHz, I get no crackling/popping. It was only a minor annoyance in the first place (but still a minor annoyance), however, now, I'm finding that it's entirely gone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back