Anybody got their hands on a Gigabeat S player yet?
Feb 22, 2006 at 8:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

sitrus_o9

Banned
Just wondering if anyone's seen/felt/(fondled? ...you'd think so the way some people talk about iPods) one of the new Gigabeat MP3 players yet? I don't need an in-depth review but I just need first impressions on the build quality and the user interface. I think the Media Centre thingy should be a plus, along with the natural playback of MC recordings (I might actually USE the video feature!).

I'm torn between this Gigabeat, the iRiver H20 20Gb, and the Zen Vision:M right now. I think I'll rule out the iRiver just because... it's old and boring now.
biggrin.gif

Thanks! Daniel.

Feb 23, 2006 at 5:33 AM Post #2 of 8
Have these even come out yet? Any online retailers have them available?

I don't think you can go wrong with that beautiful screen on the Gigabeat S-series. I don't think the iRiver H10 holds anything against the S-Series or the Vision:M. I'd say wait for a review or for the player to get in stores. Then you can demo before purchase. What are you using for portable music now?

Feb 23, 2006 at 6:28 AM Post #3 of 8
I'm pretty positive that the S-series hasn't been released yet. At least to my knowledge. Last I heard it was to be released in spring of this year. From everything I've read about it, it seems like it will definitely compete for top honors, especially if you are looking for a player with good video capabilities. It will have video subscription capabilities through a new program called Vongo, and is also supposed to be able to play video in a widescreen format.

I second waiting for a in depth review or some hands on experience yourself, but it is looks to be a definite competitor with ipods and the zen vision: m.

Feb 23, 2006 at 8:07 AM Post #4 of 8
Oh.. I know it hasn't been released yet, but I'm wondering if anyone here got their hands on the CES display model and had any impressions (though they might not apply by launch).

Right now I'm using a 6Gb iPod mini-- I've got a 60Gb Video here too that I've played with but I'm hoping to use that to fund the purchase of my ZV:M or Gigabeat.

I've been using iPods since the 1G, and I guess I just want a change... I really like my bass pumped up and my friend's iRiver or even my girlfriend's Sony HD3000 can do that better than my iPod. Tested it with the same files, etc.

Thanks!

Feb 23, 2006 at 8:24 AM Post #5 of 8
played with it at CES.

it runs Windows PMC (portable media center). If you've seen one, you've seen 'em all. not a bad system really, nice on the eyes but overly simplistic in some ways, has limited codec support, and doesn't add much personality to the device. i noticed that they have made some improvements since i last toyed with it on the iRiver PMC and Creative PMC players.

the Gigabeat S has a mechanical 4-way controller pad now. preferable over the old "touch pad" on the current generation of Gigabeats but rather unimaginative.

the only neat thing about it really is the size. in the past, PMC devices have been pretty big - like other portable media players, while this one has been shrunk down in size to something more like your average DAP.

screen is nice.

good build quality.

Feb 23, 2006 at 7:10 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by austonia
played with it at CES.

it runs Windows PMC (portable media center). If you've seen one, you've seen 'em all. not a bad system really, nice on the eyes but overly simplistic in some ways, has limited codec support, and doesn't add much personality to the device. i noticed that they have made some improvements since i last toyed with it on the iRiver PMC and Creative PMC players.

How is wma, .wmv, .wav, JPEG, and MP3 very limited? It also supports WMA lossless. Not many players have FLAC, Ogg, etc., so not sure what the big deal is.

Feb 23, 2006 at 7:59 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by FenderP
How is wma, .wmv, .wav, JPEG, and MP3 very limited? It also supports WMA lossless. Not many players have FLAC, Ogg, etc., so not sure what the big deal is.

lol he said limited...which it is. you said very..

also where was the part about the big deal?

To be clear support beyond what it offers is not a big deal to me but you got your undies in a bunch pretty quick there.

Feb 23, 2006 at 10:23 PM Post #8 of 8
I would love to see more hands-on info about the S series as well. Its nice to see more 60gig players coming out, since the next player I buy has to be that large. I hope the Vision M ends up coming out in 60gig too, that player seems top gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back