Anybody experienced with vintage Stax SR-X phone and SRD-7 adaptors?
Dec 22, 2015 at 9:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

stvgray

New Head-Fier
I'm on a weird binge where I've bought two pairs of old SR-X electrostatic phones and two adaptors -- an SRD-7 (which is powered by AC) and an SRD-7B (which is powered off the amplifier outputs).

Does anybody out there have experience with these phones and these adaptors? It takes so long to switch the adaptors that it's likely to take me weeks of switching back and forth to figure out which sounds better.

So, has anyone else figured this out?

Either way, these phones are amazing. 

What got me started was remembering the pair I owned back in the '70s, when they were considered state-of-the-art. They got stolen in a break-in just a few months after I bought them.

So far, I can say that they make my Sennheiser HD650s sound like they are playing through a couch cushion -- pleasant but midrangy and lacking detail.

Sep 20, 2017 at 10:17 AM Post #2 of 3
I don't have an answer for your question. I have the SR-X MK III and SRD-7. That combination sounds very, very good to me. I also have the SR-30, SR-40, and SRD-4. In order to make switching between the two drivers I just put banana plugs on the connecting wires so I could snap them in and out of the 5-way binding posts on my integrated. An eve easier method would be a temporary speaker switching box.

Theoretically, The SRD-7 should sound better than the SRD-7sB, but I bet you'd need really good ears to hear the diff. If you do end up comparing, please share your experience.
Enjoy!

Sep 20, 2017 at 10:46 AM Post #3 of 3
To all you Stax savants out there, now I'm wondering what would be the ultimate driver for a pair of Stax SR-X Mk IIIs?
Hope I'm not hijacking your thread, STVGRAY. I bet you'd like to know, too. We should be so lucky someone responds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back