Anybody enjoy Lounge music?
Jun 17, 2006 at 5:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

JaGWiRE

Headphoneus Supremus
Last night I was playing a game of UNO with Aurora, and it seemed to be I was the only person in the room who enjoyed the UNO music (which we concluded is categorized under the lounge genre.)

So, am I the only one who enjoys this stuff?

Jun 17, 2006 at 7:32 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by antiant
I enjoy lounge as well as chillout, downtempo etc kinda simnilar, same results/effects

Are there any artists or something, like any albums you could recommend?

Jun 17, 2006 at 9:47 PM Post #4 of 8
Brian Eno
Einaudi
Jean-Michel Jarre (Particularly the Waiting For Cousteau album)
Woob
Boards Of Canada

I enjoy for some ambient goodness. Although my ability to genre-ise music is poor sometimes.

Jun 17, 2006 at 10:42 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh
Brian Eno
Einaudi
Jean-Michel Jarre (Particularly the Waiting For Cousteau album)
Woob
Boards Of Canada

I enjoy for some ambient goodness. Although my ability to genre-ise music is poor sometimes.

I've heard Boards of Canada, and I don't tihnk they really fall into the lounge music category.

Jun 18, 2006 at 12:31 AM Post #6 of 8
duggeh: a lot of what you mentioned is more so ambient based, not lounge
smily_headphones1.gif

JaGWiRE: some artists i'd recommend...

1. Thievery Corporation (lounge, a tad trip hop (maybe), some chillout, downtempo, a tad bit of ambient and some dub influences)
link: Thievery Corporation
2. Cafe Buddha - The Cream of Lounge Cuisine (it's a compilation of various artists, but lounge music nonetheless)
3. Claude Challe & Ravin - Ethnic Lounge/Nirvanesque (it's two cd's...some lounge, some downtempo, some "ethnic/foreign instrumentation" etc)
4. Zero 7 Zero 7 (they've got a new album out btw (haven't heard it yet and seems that's all that they're allowing to play on their site), but try there album "simple things" first
5. De-Phazz De-Phazz
6. Planet Lounge - Nazim Planet Lounge Info

also check out the site Properly Chilled it's downtempo music, some trip hop, some chillout, some ambient, some ethnic, some lounge etc just click on some albums and titles that sound interesting you'll be able to get a good sample of what artists are like, they also have theievery corporation on there

*i should also mention that my favorites out of what i listed are thievery corporation and de-phazz...hope that was some help

Jun 18, 2006 at 8:41 AM Post #7 of 8
Thievery Corporation's music is one of the best all-around examples of "lounge" music as non-specific as that is. Their stuff tends to be an exotic soup of dub, acid jazz, worldbeat, and Middle Eastern.

That said, the genre doesn't even start with Thievery, there's:

Tosca
Blue 6
Kruder & Dorfmeister
Nightmares on Wax
St Germain
Weekend Players
dZihan & Kamien
The Dining Rooms

Jun 18, 2006 at 9:16 AM Post #8 of 8
The first time I heard of the Thievery Corporation was because a friend of mine had a shirt of the album The Richest Man In Babylon. It made a pretty cool looking shirt too!
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back