Anybody else using the S.M.S.L M200?
Jun 29, 2021 at 5:22 PM Post #151 of 167
Just a quick update to tell that my M200 died today.
The display was already flaky for sometime; Not turning off when putting the device in standby, Displaying DSD512 while playing 16/44.1 FLAC, Randomly lid parts of the display. All the time the sound was just fine.. Till today now the unit died completely and there is no output at all from any source or to any output.
Tossed the unit in the recycle bin. Looking at the cost of the unit it just doesn't make sense to me to send it back and forth to China where it will probably never arrive to begin with.
That's too bad, sorry about your luck. I hope that this is an exception to the rule.

Jun 29, 2021 at 8:47 PM Post #152 of 167
Just a quick update to tell that my M200 died today.
The display was already flaky for sometime; Not turning off when putting the device in standby, Displaying DSD512 while playing 16/44.1 FLAC, Randomly lid parts of the display. All the time the sound was just fine.. Till today now the unit died completely and there is no output at all from any source or to any output.
Tossed the unit in the recycle bin. Looking at the cost of the unit it just doesn't make sense to me to send it back and forth to China where it will probably never arrive to begin with.

OMG nooooooo! That's not supposed to happen. Ugg! I'm so sorry Telin, I feel so bad for you. This unit is truly amazing, and for over 200 dollars, should never have failed in less then 10-years.

I'm sure unlike me, you have several other DACS you can use until you can get a new one. I understand what you mean, but I'd still contact SMSL and see if you can get an RMA warranty deal on it.

If not, then you can still get a new DAC until then. I'm sorry dude.

Jun 30, 2021 at 1:26 AM Post #153 of 167
Just bad luck. I don't hold a grudge against SMSL now or anything.
Partially my own fault, could've spend a couple euros more and bought it from a EU based reseller but thought to save some money buying directly in China... I did save some money until it broke down. Reseller in China is willing to repair the unit but I would need to pay shipping costs both ways. I would want it to ship it with some kind of track & trace and insurance so that would be just too much considering the cost of the unit.

Jun 30, 2021 at 4:17 AM Post #154 of 167
Yep, considering what you just said, I can totally understand that.

@Telin Please let us know what you buy next

Jun 30, 2021 at 9:35 AM Post #155 of 167
@Telin Please let us know what you buy next
Most likely Topping D30Pro
Like the smaller footprint and the LED display, personally I think this type of orange display looks much better then the way too low resolution displays you find on the D70/D90. Those types of displays can work but then it needs to be much higher quality/resolution. I know display has nothing to do with sound quality but I know it will annoy me constantly when the the unit is right in front of me :wink:

Also have been looking at SMSL offerings but with what I want/like SMSL pretty much only has the M200. I still like SMSL and the M200 but at the same time I also want to use this opportunity to get something "new new" and not get the same unit I already had before.

Jun 30, 2021 at 1:54 PM Post #156 of 167
Most likely Topping D30Pro
Like the smaller footprint and the LED display, personally I think this type of orange display looks much better then the way too low resolution displays you find on the D70/D90. Those types of displays can work but then it needs to be much higher quality/resolution. I know display has nothing to do with sound quality but I know it will annoy me constantly when the the unit is right in front of me :wink:

Also have been looking at SMSL offerings but with what I want/like SMSL pretty much only has the M200. I still like SMSL and the M200 but at the same time I also want to use this opportunity to get something "new new" and not get the same unit I already had before.

That seems like a quality unit to me. I reviewed the page, read the features, saw the pics. And at no point did I feel like this was a downgrade for you. It felt like it was in the same weight class so to speak. I can only hope you won't have issues with this one.

One feature I noticed that was significantly different from SMSL, is their mention of customized drivers. That almost suggest possibly open source? If so I think that's awesome, I support open source stuff.

I hope you get the black one though, I'm not a fan of white. But black usually goes with everything lol.

I also noticed that it takes a 3-pin power cable, which suggests it has the transformer inside the unit.

This is what SMSL did for their SP200 amp. But for some odd reason, chose to do a power brick for their M200 DAC.

Make sure you take some of your own pics too once you get it. I'm sure you will love it. Hopefully the cost of the unit is on par, I did not look it up on Amazon so idk.

Jun 30, 2021 at 10:55 PM Post #157 of 167
Still using my M200 where I live for work and at my soon to be permanent home I have a Gustard X16 which is pretty darn good as well and worth consideration.

Jul 1, 2021 at 10:24 AM Post #158 of 167
Jul 1, 2021 at 12:17 PM Post #159 of 167
You Rock Dude! 😎
Thanks, even more since I also bought a set of Yamaha Tour Customs (in Licorice Satin finish) after close to a decade of not owning a drum set. Truthfully I don't play as much rock as I would have back in the day. Now I'm more into music with a groove so I will actually play stuff like the Black Eyed Peas, Alicia Keys, Eminem, Sade. Material like that.

Jul 4, 2021 at 11:03 AM Post #160 of 167
Make sure you take some of your own pics too once you get it. I'm sure you will love it.
I will :relaxed:

Until then a picture of my Audio-GD on the harmonizer stand.

20210703_101908.jpg

Jul 6, 2021 at 2:44 PM Post #161 of 167
I just like the fact it has nice rocker switches. The tactile feeling of switches keep the universe in balance and are far superior IMO. That's why I truly love the snappy snappy from the toggle switches on my SMSL SP200 amp.

Sep 20, 2021 at 12:23 AM Post #162 of 167
Anyone here has compared smsl skmk2 vs m200? Any significant jump?

Sep 22, 2021 at 4:17 AM Post #164 of 167
If your computer is mid range or better, UAT is a GO. But, if your using a low end Chromebook, thin and light, 13" netbooks, then NO.

UAT Bluetooth broadcast also works best when you don't have a lot of wireless interference.

Sep 22, 2021 at 6:33 AM Post #165 of 167
If your computer is mid range or better, UAT is a GO. But, if your using a low end Chromebook, thin and light, 13" netbooks, then NO.

UAT Bluetooth broadcast also works best when you don't have a lot of wireless interference.
Thanks for your reply. I will be using a dedicated low-consumption WIndows 10 computer for streaming and the DAC will be located in the same room. Laying cables from the computer to the DAC, unfortunately, is not possible. In fact, I have been looking for a high quality DAC with wifi but these devices do not seem to be available. However your comment about the performance of the computer has me intrigued. Could you clarify why those computers you mention are not suitable? Does the UAT codec need high computing power?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back