Anybody else using a cellphone for an MP3 player?
Mar 1, 2005 at 6:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

averydonovan

Headphoneus Supremus
About a week and a half ago I got a Motorola MPx200 smartphone and have since then been using it as my MP3 player. I have a 1GB SD card for it so can store quite a lot of music and am using BetaPlayer as the music player on it.

The sound out of the headphone jack with the Motorola HS120 stereo headset is pretty thin, but listenable especially given how ultra-portable this system is given that I always have my cellphone with me anyway. Once I got an adapter to use standard headphones with it I found the headphone jack just can't drive headphones well at all since it just doesn't have any output current. But hooking it up to my PIMETA produced a pleasant surprise. The sound output is surprisingly clean and rich sounding, although lacking a bit on the top end, and is quite good.

So I have options on the days that I feel like carrying more stuff with me, but on days I want to keep it lightweight I can just bring along the stereo headset and still have music. This phone also mostly replaces my PDA so I have no real reason to carry my PDA. I don't plan to go back to a non-smartphone ever again since I really like the versatility it offers, and given how happy I am with the Windows Mobile Smartphone Edition OS the MPx200 runs I'll probably stick with that.

Anybody else here using their cellphone as their portable music player?

Mar 1, 2005 at 6:46 PM Post #2 of 10
No.

I'm old fashioned in this regard: I "beleive" each piece of equipment I own was made for a single purpose, and anything extra is gravy (and is usually lesser in quality).

I have a cell phone - I didn't get one with MP3 capabilities or a camera. The pictures suck in quality, although maybe better to get an instantaneous picture than none at all.

I have a Mini-DV camcorder - it can take stills too, but only 1 megapixel, which is why I have a .....

3.2 megapixel digital camera (and a standard 35mm Pentax Super ME)

I have a PDA to keep appointments, contacts, carry a few games (Dell Axim X5

I have my Zen Micro for music

I have a portable DVD player

Yes, it's a lot of garbage to carry around, and can be deemed an inconvenience. Sometimes I'll be the "geek" with the Axim, cell phone, and Zen Micro all clipped to my belt. I guess I like functionality over looks.

To me (and I could be wrong), I think quality suffers when one device tries to do so many things.

Mar 1, 2005 at 7:41 PM Post #3 of 10
No. Have a SonyEricsson P800 that could easily do, but I don't want it. I can barely take it when its too cold to use Etys so I have to make due with Apple's in-Ears, and Etys want an amp, and an amp means cable, and the last thing I want is my cellphone tethered to something. But to each his own.

Mar 1, 2005 at 11:27 PM Post #5 of 10
I also have a P800. And though I did put a few MP3s in it, I don't exactly use it as an MP3 player. Plus, at the price of the memory stick duo, I might as well get a Pendrive MP3 player (I am not entirely against integration and this is a prime example for me of when integration makes sense).

Mar 2, 2005 at 5:52 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by MetalManCPA
Yes, it's a lot of garbage to carry around, and can be deemed an inconvenience. Sometimes I'll be the "geek" with the Axim, cell phone, and Zen Micro all clipped to my belt. I guess I like functionality over looks.

Wow i hope you dont ever have to sit down or lean over more than like 20 degrees. And ya, that is pretty geeky
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif

Mar 2, 2005 at 6:33 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fenhalls
Strange that you should mention that today. Motorala and Sony MP3 phones:

Motorola previews iTunes phone (images)

http://appleinsider.com/article.php?id=816

The pic shown is a Motorola E398 (which already has MP3 and AAC playback capability) so the actual "iTunes phone" will not look exactly like that. I was considering an E398 not too long ago and then found the MPx200.

And just for the heck of it, here are a few screenshots from my MPx200:

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Mar 2, 2005 at 11:15 AM Post #10 of 10
I used a Motorola A925 for mp3, games and movies and more.
I thought the sound was actually very good, or at least, better than my audigy 2.
The worst thing about it was that there was NO 3.5mm adapter to buy for it(it used a special 2.5mm jack) so I had to solder my own and it worked okay but not perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back