Anybody else get hit by nimda?
Sep 21, 2001 at 4:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

acidtripwow

Headphoneus Supremus
Been offline for a while since we got hit by nimda. Took us and our clients down. Looks like I lost one server and will have to completely wipe it and start over, damn! Well, back to my hole.

See ya,
Acid

Sep 21, 2001 at 5:08 PM Post #2 of 16
I'm not really sure if i have or not...

I logged on as normal on Wednesday, and something caused my system to lock up, I then re-booted and all seemed normal until i logged onto the net again... Everything is really slow, Internet Explorer seems extra especially sluggish, when opening a new window, the current information stays there until the last moment when the new page appears... system lock ups etc etc (generally not very healthy)

I have Internet Explorer 6, and according to Microsoft there are no security issues with Nimda and IE6, so... I'm at a loss
confused.gif

I don't have any anti-virus software on my comp (how stupid)... and I don't know how to make my system run properly again... On the plus side, i intend to get a new hard-drive at the end of next week, so i'll just do a clean install, and away i go
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 21, 2001 at 5:16 PM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

according to Microsoft there are no security issues with Nimda and IE6

If Microsoft actually admitted to any of the problems with their software their stock would go DOWN. So unfortunately there's a conflict of interests and we get stuck with buggy software. Just my 2 cents
cool.gif

Sep 22, 2001 at 2:31 AM Post #5 of 16
My company got hit bad. Infected all servers and PCs. Lost 1 server. Funny thing was that the virus didn't do it but the patch (which was suppose to prevent the virus) from Microsoft did.

Duncan, I think the reason why your browser was sluggish was because the whole internet network was congested by the virus broadcasting itself from infected machines. Suggest you go to Trend Micro or similar anti-virus website to scan your machine to be on the safe side. The virus is quite nasty and although not particularly destructive, is very mass-infect capable. It spreads not only via email attachments but also via shared drives and by browsing infected websites.

Sep 22, 2001 at 5:39 AM Post #7 of 16
I didn't get hit by it, but it was on my computer. XP had some folders shared by default (Shared Documents under All Users), with write permissions, so other people on my subnet who were infected (including my next door neighbor) had .eml files constantly written to all of the share directories with write permission. Norton Antivirus intercepted these right away though and quarantined them.

Sep 22, 2001 at 2:56 PM Post #9 of 16
My server got hit Tuesday morning and by the time Symantec had a new virus definition out for it it was running rampant through the server. Interestingly, only 7 of my workstations got hit - could've been worse.

I don't think I lost anything but the server is going through an intensive defrag this weekend and then the tape backup fun begins - last good tape is from Monday. I get conflicting reports about the damage it does. Does it copy over files or simply copy itself all over d' damn place?

Thursday Symantec had a fixer for it - I'm not sure if your machine needs to have Norton installed to run the fix - it is a little .com thingy that searches your machine and fixes what it finds. Wouldn't hurt to try it.

ok,
erix

Sep 22, 2001 at 9:30 PM Post #10 of 16
We Mac and Linux people didn't seem to have any problems
wink.gif

j/k. Sorry for those of you who got nailed. These things really suck.

Sep 22, 2001 at 9:56 PM Post #12 of 16
You can also get it if you're running un-patched versions of IIS. My 98 machine is relatively safe from it.

Sep 22, 2001 at 10:29 PM Post #14 of 16
IIS would be Internet Information Services for Windows. It's the http & ftp server that comes w/ Win2k. AFAIK, it's not available for Win98 machines, so they should be safe. At least, as long as you don't open random e-mail attachments.

Sep 23, 2001 at 12:24 AM Post #15 of 16
Here is all of symantec's info:

nimda sucks!

You Linux guys make me green with envy!

You apple guys - not.

ok,
erix

Users who are viewing this thread

Back