Anybody else excited for the Chumby?
Jul 7, 2007 at 2:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Firam

500+ Head-Fier
I want one right now but it looks unless I get lucky, regular launch isn't until September. I don't know what I will use it for yet because there are some many options. I think it will live next to my bed. The idea of waking up to the weather report, news, webcam, pictures, music, so many choices I can't decide. I've been waiting since December.

It is such a great concept I don't know why it wasn't thought of earlier. It is going to be awesome.

For those who don't know: http://www.chumby.com/

Jul 7, 2007 at 3:41 AM Post #2 of 16
I don't know what so exiting about it.

I have a cheap am/fm radio alarm clock. I get the news weather and everything.

I'm not interest in looking at a small screen for any pictures, movie, webcam or anything else. I have a TV and a computer with a large screen if I really need to look at something. It's not right next to my bed but that not the first thing I'm worry about waking up.

Jul 7, 2007 at 3:51 AM Post #3 of 16
That is incredibly slick! Now you've got me excited too - I certainly wouldn't mind having one of these devices.

Jul 7, 2007 at 2:11 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by DanT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know what so exiting about it.

I have a cheap am/fm radio alarm clock. I get the news weather and everything.

I'm not interest in looking at a small screen for any pictures, movie, webcam or anything else. I have a TV and a computer with a large screen if I really need to look at something. It's not right next to my bed but that not the first thing I'm worry about waking up.

Same here.

My alarm clock just plays music when it's time to get up.

When I get up, I'm not going to turn over and watch the news.

Jul 7, 2007 at 5:50 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What does this do that a Pocketpc and wifi wouldn't?

Nothing. it just does it right away. And it does it automatically. Plus, at a sub-$200 price tag, it's an awful lot cheaper than any half-decent pocket PC. Looks a lot cuter, too!
icon10.gif

Jul 7, 2007 at 5:56 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trippytiger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nothing. it just does it right away. And it does it automatically.

I can understand the appeal for people without computers or the non-tech savvy, but otherwise...

Jul 7, 2007 at 6:41 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can understand the appeal for people without computers or the non-tech savvy, but otherwise...

Since it connects to your wireless network, I would think neither of these groups will be getting one anytime soon. While it looks cute, ultimately it's just another needless electronic device.

Jul 7, 2007 at 6:42 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think it is the exact opposite, it is made for the tech savvy. The whole project is open source and experimentation is encouraged. It is not intended to take the place of a computer but to supplement it, a Chumby would be in a different room than the computer.

Jul 8, 2007 at 1:22 AM Post #12 of 16
That's just it - in a different room.

Well with a Pocketpc, smartphone, iphone, PalmOS, umpc, even one of those useless Nokia internet tablets - anyone of those I can actually take from room to toom. I don't need to stay tethered to a power cord. The freedom of wifi with the form factor and power supply of a kitchen appliance? No thanks.

Now granted, a qvga smartphone is slim on resolution, but there is a landscape mode, just tap a little icon and there ya go...or slide out the keyboard, depending on your model. But if you get a vga device, well it's going to have everything over the Chumby.

I know this is a little bit cheaper, but there are so many discounts if you get a ppc/smartphone as part of a cellphone contract.. it starts to become a no-brainer.

Even a Nintendo Wii does all this stuff if you have opera installed. Even a PSP does all this!

Jul 8, 2007 at 4:00 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's just it - in a different room.

Well with a Pocketpc, smartphone, iphone, PalmOS, umpc, even one of those useless Nokia internet tablets - anyone of those I can actually take from room to toom. I don't need to stay tethered to a power cord. The freedom of wifi with the form factor and power supply of a kitchen appliance? No thanks.

Now granted, a qvga smartphone is slim on resolution, but there is a landscape mode, just tap a little icon and there ya go...or slide out the keyboard, depending on your model. But if you get a vga device, well it's going to have everything over the Chumby.

I know this is a little bit cheaper, but there are so many discounts if you get a ppc/smartphone as part of a cellphone contract.. it starts to become a no-brainer.

Even a Nintendo Wii does all this stuff if you have opera installed. Even a PSP does all this!

Well, what if I don't want a smartphone? They're expensive, and data plans here in Canada are even worse. And they're very bulky, which is something I don't want in a cell phone. No good for me.

And PDAs aren't much better. The decent ones that would have the kind of functionality as the Chumby are expensive, and you're usually locked into a proprietary operating system with a limited selection of programs. Plus I wouldn't have much use for one on the go, so why would I pay all that extra money for something that's going to be mostly stationary?

As for the Wii, well, that's more expensive again, and it's not as open or configurable as this little unit.

What I find really cool about the Chumby is how simple and configurable it appears to be. It's kinda like an Apple device, only it can be made to do the things I want it to do without too much effort. I would love to be able to wake up to a local weather and traffic report on demand. I know that my alarm clock/radio can deliver both of those, but there's no guarantee that I'll be able to get it right when I wake up. It would also be really nice to get a constant news stream while I'm doing my homework or just on the computer.

The only thing I can think of that might be better for me than the Chumby would be Asus' new subnotebook that they announced a few weeks ago, the Eee PC 701. It's a fully functional, very tiny laptop, and while it wouldn't be as simple to work with as the Chumby, I think it could come pretty close. More importantly, I plan to get one as soon as they come out anyways, so I'd save myself some money by using it in the Chumby's role. We'll see.
icon10.gif

Jul 8, 2007 at 7:26 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Illah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is one of those things I wouldn't mind having, but I would never buy...if you know what I mean
smily_headphones1.gif

x2
I probably could find use of one. But certainly don't intend spending money on one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back