Anybody currently learning the piano?
Mar 23, 2009 at 2:32 PM Post #16 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by analogbox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Give me a grand piano and I'll play like Horowitz in a month!!!
tongue.gif

Get me a baby grand and I'll play like Volodos in 2 weeks!

Mar 23, 2009 at 2:51 PM Post #18 of 26
so what else have u learned till now?

did u try playing something?

Mar 23, 2009 at 3:02 PM Post #19 of 26
Nothing, i don't want to jump the gun. Learning the scales, chords and some theory still.

I tried doing the scales with both hands and failed, i need to look at what i am pressing to get it right, with 2 hands meaning i can't look at both at the same time and it goes all wrong.

I can touch type though, so i am hoping with practice my fingers know whats what on a piano.

Mar 23, 2009 at 3:57 PM Post #20 of 26
Practice until you are able to play single handedly without looking, then try both hands, slowly. Normally after a while you will tend to use one hand to guide the other (i.e. only looking at one hand while playing both), but try not to look at all.

Mar 23, 2009 at 6:14 PM Post #21 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by raymondlin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL, thanks guys, I don't think getting a grand piano is the answers i was looking for or expecting when i started this thread
tongue.gif

Nor is anyone suggesting your getting a grand piano. Any inference of your getting a grand piano from my prior post is based on patently false logic reasoning, wherein the subsequent posters have taken a specific example (Julliard student practice on grand) and tried to extrapolate that to cover the general piano practicing population (everyone should practice on grand).

The only affirmative statement I made was that 'you should practice on a real piano'

learn some logic reasoning please.

Mar 23, 2009 at 7:24 PM Post #22 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nor is anyone suggesting your getting a grand piano. Any inference of your getting a grand piano from my prior post is based on patently false logic reasoning, wherein the subsequent posters have taken a specific example (Julliard student practice on grand) and tried to extrapolate that to cover the general piano practicing population (everyone should practice on grand).

The only affirmative statement I made was that 'you should practice on a real piano'

learn some logic reasoning please.

I don't want to detour the thread and that last post was done in humour but if you want logic, here goes.

To practice, as in NOT in a lesson, one would normally do it at home, as oppose to the teacher's home, or the music school. (who practice at the Royal Albert Hall?) Agreed? As also pointed out, someone practice 6 hours a day in his tiny apartment.

And using logic, the statement "'you should practice on a real piano' would mean getting a piano in my home.

Now if i don't buy one....how on earth would I get my hands on a grand piano for practice?

How's that for logic ?

Besides, i don't think i should or need to practice on a grand piano, millions of children don't, they'll be lucky if they get to practice on an upright. I really don't see the problem here of not having access to a grand piano.

oh, I am NOT a Julliard student....nor do i want to be.

/SIGH.

Mar 23, 2009 at 7:42 PM Post #23 of 26
I give up....where did I ever say you have to practice on a grand? I said you should practice on a 'real piano'; and as far as I know you can still get an up-right.

Mar 24, 2009 at 12:07 AM Post #24 of 26
Going to agree with Nocturnal, YouTube is the easiest and cheapest way to learn your favorite piano parts. I hadn't played in about 10 years, and I was able to learn a few of my favorite songs in no time at all. What's great is that you can go frame by frame to see them apply the fingering. Although as a disclaimer: if you've had no basic foundation at all, an actual teacher is probably still the best way.

Lucky for me my parents made me take piano and violin as a child
smily_headphones1.gif
so I can pretty much pick up anything with strings or keys without too much trouble.

Mar 24, 2009 at 7:54 AM Post #25 of 26
You should start playing..the more u play..the more musical sense u ll develop..and u ll find your fingers hit the right key next time.

of course u ll need a teacher/tutorial for improvement....but the easiest way to start playing is ...try to play your fav tunes.

Mar 24, 2009 at 4:31 PM Post #26 of 26
At least you took the big step in trying to learn it. I, on the other hand, just kept on dreaming in learning and never took the initiatives.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back