Anybody A Member Of A Union
Aug 21, 2002 at 4:58 AM Post #17 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by grinch
i realize that they aren't all scumbags, but this run-in has definitely left a bad taste in my mouth. i always thought of unions being started to keep companies from employing eight year olds for forty-five hours a week and keeping the big nasty companies from stepping on the employees.. not making it so you have to pay an electrician +$40 an hour..

Yep, there's 2 sides to that union coin. I don't like most unions, in fact I think that public emplyees shouldn't be unionised. Where I work the union slows down the stopming on us by the company.

grinch, a feel for ya. That was a bad deal. I better stop now. I just got home from work and I could go on forever about the bad side of unions.

Aug 21, 2002 at 8:35 AM Post #18 of 21
I worked for a union here. Local 5 was what it was called. Now it is part of I think HERE.
I must say, that when I was first starting off..I was a **** up. But the union protected me.
I was given a chance to advance, then I saw the limiting effects of the union.
I am the kind of guy who just wants the job done. I couldn't see waiting around for the uh.."people rated above me" to arrive and do their thing.
I hated waiting around when I could just finish the job.
Then, I took a state job. Same freaking thing.
"make the job last, we might not be here tomorrow."
Unions were cool, when there was a time and place for them.
Kill me!
I think unions now have way too much influence on the economy. West coast dock workers strike? Hawaii is in a bind.
Stevadores here make way more than teachers. Is that cool?
just my thoughts,
md

Aug 21, 2002 at 7:59 PM Post #19 of 21
i'm a member of the United Food and Commercial Workers Local 1518...we're most likely going to strike next year...new contract negotiations. all i have to say is that my union provides me with job security, but not much else (i'm only part time so i don't get benefits). they take 8 bucks from my paycheck every week.

to me, union = "oh bother!"

Aug 21, 2002 at 8:15 PM Post #20 of 21
I wish my union took only 8 bucks every week. UTU takes $90 per month. I also wish we could go on strike. We might be able to negotiate better if we could strike. The last time we went on strike we tried a selective strike so as not to shut down commuter lines. That lasted almost 3 days before the government ordered us back to work. I guess we can criple the economy or something. Actually we could pretty much shut down the country. You would be surprised at what all travels by rail just about everything, except stuff to Hawaii
biggrin.gif

Aug 22, 2002 at 1:54 AM Post #21 of 21
My Dad used to talk about the FAA strike in the 80's. Ronald Reagan just fired them all and hired new people apparently. And the baseball union is a good example of a union gone bad. I love baseball, but this is just ridiculous. If they strike again I'm gonna buy a dallas cowboys hat, forget about the Braves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back