Any way to try IEMs?
Nov 15, 2008 at 1:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

MaxRabbit

New Head-Fier
You know, the average person has a big issue plunking down $75+ for something they've never tried before-and heard both good and bad reviews of. I, personally, have a big issue with this.

Now, is there a way to actually try IEMs without yet buying them, or a way to return them if you don't like them after your purchase? I know meetups work, but not in small areas-it's not worth spending over $150 to go try a pair of $75 earphones!

So, are there?
max

Nov 15, 2008 at 2:13 AM Post #2 of 10
Not that I've come up with... Hence why I deal with Head-Direct.

Nov 15, 2008 at 1:35 PM Post #4 of 10
Maybe its still not hygenic, but it seems the common place that touches are the tips. But i suppose it costs more to just supply testers with individual tips for try out... I would definately pay whatever price for the tips and try out different canalphones :p

Nov 15, 2008 at 2:50 PM Post #5 of 10
If you have a guitar center nearby, they are an actual UE dealer so they should have a few pairs you can try out. They have the stock foamies you can use (most uncomfortable pieces of crap you'll ever stick in you're ears but it should give you an idea of the difference between an IEM and a stock bud). Or Head-Direct's OK series and PK series. Aside from that, get a lot of friends interested in hi fi as well or get with a group. I've gotten a chance to listen to the triple fi's, se530's, er4s, q-jays, grados sr60...rs2, hd580...650, akgs.... etc... just because different friends with different gear.

Best buy also caries shure products. Ask them what their return policy is on the headphones if you don't like them. Microcenter and radioshack caries some V-moda products and other iems as well.

Good luck, but don't just try them out return them and buy them from an online dealer...cuz then well... yeah...

Nov 15, 2008 at 3:01 PM Post #6 of 10
I checked with my local Guitar Center a few months ago and they said no, they will not allow customers to try IEM's before buying.

That's one of the reasons this forum is so popular. After spending many hours here, I believe there are some Sleeks in my future.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 15, 2008 at 3:39 PM Post #7 of 10
I said head-direct cuz they have a 30 day refund policy and/or will allow you to upgrade with the store credit of what your previous phones cost as well. I guess that's the same as doing it at a retail store like Circuit City though...

Nov 16, 2008 at 1:04 AM Post #10 of 10
the miracle of physical stores > online purchasing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back