Any way to tell if work was completed on liquid Platinum?
Dec 22, 2023 at 11:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

music_man

Headphoneus Supremus
I had given a friend a LP that I had heavily modified.
For some reason it blew up beyond repair. Assumingly not due to my work.

I subsequently replaced it for him with two sub $1000 Amos. Then a Violectric.

Needless to say he was unsatisfied. I am to please. So I picked up another LP for him. I am no longer able to solder with old ag.

So I commissioned another friend to perform the work. This guy being a highly paid Electronic Design Engineer.
I thought I had been presented with a favor as well. Although I feel he had taken the liberty to grossly overcharge me. Perhaps.
This included stuff such as redesigning and refinishing the case.

I do not know how this should sound. Just from brief memory of testing the aforementioned unit that blew up.

However, I can say it sounds rather amazing. To the best of my recollection better in fact then a Liquid Glass had ever sounded. Okay. Impressive then.

It rightfully should be. Including the Holy Grail's I gifted with it. I was into this for something Eight Grand.
I aim to please 🥺
Obviously I did not expect this price tag.lol.

So anyhow. I can readily see where he shoe-horned the RK50 into it. As well as two of the Nichicon FG 470Uf caps. However with my not even mentioning this he returned but three of the original 470Uf caps. Only.
Odd? I believe that there are a total of Seven caps to be replaced with this mod? Certainly Four of the 470Uf. Again, odd. Regardless it does sound very, very good
My only indicator.

So to get to my question.
Is there any to physically verify of these Seven caps in total having been replaced? I cannot open this for the same reason I am unable to any longer solder.
I do not wish for the recipient to do so. Lest that is perhaps being the reason of which it blew up.
Not about to lose this much money now..

FYI. This thing is not really confusing of an LPS.
Not only the protection circuit anomaly. Also sound.
I therefore had him construct a globally regulated SMPS.
Perhaps going to my resulting charges of this work. My kind of expecting a favor not withstanding.

It was a lesson learned perhaps. It is fine. As the lesson is to prove just how very good MR. Cavelli's circuit really is. This thing is a wolf in sheep's clothing. So to speak. A real sleeper indeed. It is just waiting to be fully tweaked. Letting the hidden beast within our and about.

Still, being returned only Three of the Seven caps seems a bit odd. To me at least Other than how it sounds hopefully there is some way to verify this has been done. I am however fully doubting that the stock unit was to sound anything remotely like this.
I have really no clue however.

Thanks,
M_M

Users who are viewing this thread

Back