Any way to save cracked SHP895's before they fail for good?
Jun 10, 2008 at 5:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

cam94z28

100+ Head-Fier
I didn't believe the comments that the SHP895's would eventually break and fall apart, until I recently noticed my left side is cracking. It's in a \___/ shape just above where the (L) is on the left side, and is almost completely through.

Is there anything I can do to save them before they break completely? Something that wont make it look like I'm wearing rabbit ears or a tin foil hat.

These are among my most detailed cans, and probably the only ones with a decent soundstage . I'd hate to see them give up the ghost.
I'm not a MacGuyver either, so I doubt I can fix them once they do. My Koss R80's died, and I don't have the eagle eyes required to re-solder the tiny driver wires.

If they do die, what are some other cheaper open full size cans that will sound comparable, possibly less bright? I only paid about $40 for these from a Head-Fi member a few years ago, and they are an endangered species now (I'll never find them again). They are about as close as I'll ever come to owning a pair of HD650's, or K701's.

Jun 10, 2008 at 6:00 AM Post #2 of 10
Hmm. Do you have a photo? I have a paid of 895s, have had them for probably 3? maybe more.. years now and they are in perfect condition with no cracks.

Just above the L you say? That's weird.. so like.. between the headband leather(ette?) and the plastic bit? I'd almost be tempted to say that it wasn't structural there.... the inner slidey bit looks to me like it carries most of the weight but then perhaps it isnt as rounded as I had thought.

Duct tape? Just like the force, it has a light side, and a dark side, and it holds the universe together. Should be perfectly capable then?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 10, 2008 at 6:18 AM Post #3 of 10
It's cracked in the same shiny plastic piece that the circular L is in, on the outside part of the headband. I can't say whether it's structural, but the inside of that piece has the 4 screws that hold the top of the headband on.

I can take a pic, but it probably won't show up seeing how a camera flash and anything reflective usually don't mix well. I'll try taking it at an angle.

BTW, the Right side has hairline cracks starting at the top corners also
rolleyes.gif

Jun 10, 2008 at 6:49 AM Post #4 of 10
Here are the pics. They turned out better than I thought. Maybe you can see best in the 3rd pic.....My gear that is.
biggrin.gif

Jun 10, 2008 at 7:00 AM Post #5 of 10
I have a pair of SHP895's with the same problem. I noticed the creasing/cracking not very long after I received them. However, it's held up for 3 years with no problems or increased damage. Then again... I've barely touched them in 2 years so maybe I'm not the best example
rolleyes.gif

Jun 10, 2008 at 7:05 AM Post #6 of 10
I didn't use mine much until I got my Lyrix Pro amp. I swear two weeks ago when reading about the cracking problem again I looked mine over and didn't see any. If this developed in a matter of weeks, I'm not sure how long they have left
confused.gif

Jun 10, 2008 at 7:10 AM Post #7 of 10
It might just be cosmetic flaw due to sloppy design and that's it. I use my headphones very gently and I noticed the issue probably within a couple days after receiving them. They probably arrived like that.

Jun 10, 2008 at 11:41 AM Post #8 of 10
I've had a new look at mine - they're well progressed cracks. I had never noticed them before. Can't quite tell whether or not they are structural but I'd be surprised... the headband feels a bit more solid. Then again, there must be at least a bit of strain on the joint!

I wouldn't be too worried - mine have lasted AGES with no problems... I don't see them falling apart just yet either. Oh well...

Oct 22, 2009 at 9:23 AM Post #10 of 10
Dead thread, I know. But I've pretty much permanently saved mine by taking the cracked pieces apart and working jb weld in there. In hindsight, I should have used epoxy as the jb weld didn't dry clear. Previously I could see the cracks progressing over time. Not any more. Even if they do crack, the two pieces are fused together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back