Any way to record SACD to Minidisc?
Feb 22, 2003 at 9:49 AM Post #6 of 17
Actually I don't think it blows at all. SACD's aren't copyable in the same way CD's can be burned onto CDRs anyway so it's not too bad. Now I'll just have to see whether even using good cables and gear will limit the amount of noise that can be in the recording.

Feb 23, 2003 at 6:59 AM Post #7 of 17
Using good equipment to record in an analogue fashion -- whether to cassette tape or minidisc -- is very important. Think of it this way -- you're not recording the digital information directly but taking the signal that your SACD player outputs and having the MD recorder "listen" to it and record it in digital format itself. Consequently, you should get a better recording if you take care to make sure the signal that the minidisc recorder gets is as good as possible.

Feb 23, 2003 at 8:28 AM Post #8 of 17
Well, if i'm not wrong making digital MD copies of SACDs would be impossible. Not because of any copy protection issues, but because of basic incompatibility. Most digital audio is in PCM format, CDs, MDs, DVDs and the like, but SACDs use DSD format, so a direct digital output would be unrecognizable for the recorder.

Feb 23, 2003 at 9:30 AM Post #9 of 17
But the redbook part of a hybrid SACD was recorded using DSD (excuse my lack of knowledge in terminology) and it is recordable. So anyone tried recording SACDs to minidisc?

Feb 23, 2003 at 10:04 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by Punslayer
Well, if i'm not wrong making digital MD copies of SACDs would be impossible. Not because of any copy protection issues, but because of basic incompatibility. Most digital audio is in PCM format, CDs, MDs, DVDs and the like, but SACDs use DSD format, so a direct digital output would be unrecognizable for the recorder.

You can't take a direct digital output.

To my knowledge, all availible SACD players only have analog outputs for SACD playback. That being the case, one should not have any problem running a cable from the analog outputs of his SACDP to the aux/mic in of any recording device.

Now, the quality of the recorded copy will of course be constrained to the capabilites of the recording method/target format, so one will not maintain the SACD sound, so-to-speak.

Essentially it breaks down to good ole-fashioned recording/copying.

Feb 23, 2003 at 11:23 PM Post #12 of 17
i have a few hybrid sacd's and i recorded them digitally to my jb930 md deck (pcm redbook layer). it sounds great in atrac-r. others are correct that sony md recorders take a pcm signal for digital recordings, so unless you have something that converts the dsd signal to a high bitrate pcm signal, and the md recorder could convert it down to the md standard with compression. i will say the high bitrate pcm tracks i've recorded digitally off of dvd's onto md sound just fantastic, even better than the analog rips of the same material.

barring a converter for dsd-pcm, i would say get a good sacd player, and a good md deck with 96/24 adc's, and a decent cable, and rip them via analog. it should sound pretty great, perhaps better than a digital rip of the redbook layer depending on the quality of the analog components in the chain.

Feb 25, 2003 at 3:27 AM Post #14 of 17
that's essentially what i recommended to you in my previous post. good luck.

Feb 25, 2003 at 5:54 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

that's essentially what i recommended to you in my previous post. good luck.

rolleyes.gif

tongue.gif
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back