Any way to LOCK windows from new installs? Kids killing my computers!
Nov 21, 2004 at 4:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

mahkook

100+ Head-Fier
About every two months, my kids kill two computers by unwittingly installing cr@p from online kids games. Spyware, adware, viruses, etc, etc, etc have all gotten onto those computers and I need to just flat STOP any thing unless I install it. Each time I wind up having to do a complete reinstall from a reformat of the C drive. I need to lock my computers in a "no new installs" mode or find a program that will prevent installs without a password. I have searched unsuccessfully to find some info online about either option. Does anyone here have any idea about what I can do about this problem besides either sitting there beside them the whole time and monitoring everything or just locking up the computers completely? They are running Windows ME on both machines.....

Muito Obrigado!

Nov 21, 2004 at 4:25 PM Post #2 of 18
Get Firefox and kill IE.
It'll cut down about 95% of your adware/spyware.

Get a good virus scanner. Make sure it's one that has both schedueling and the "always watching you" crap.

Put them on the most limited account type.

Nov 21, 2004 at 4:26 PM Post #3 of 18
setup 2 accounts. 1 = admin (you hopefully unless your kids lock you out) and 2 = kids. You can choose the level of "priveleges" the admin account grants the other accounts.

I dont know if this will stop them from installing stuff but it can be done...

Nov 21, 2004 at 4:28 PM Post #4 of 18
Change to XP Pro instead. It gives you the ability to set up user accounts with different permission levels. It will help prevent them from killing things, but not stop it. Another option might be putting Linux on the computer. If you don't already know Linux it might be a bit of a pain though.

I also recommend you get a copy of Norton Ghost. Make an image of a fresh Windows install and keep it around. You will need to store it to a partition different than Windows or a CD. Whenever they mess things up you can just restore the image. It takes about 2 minutes of work to restore an image. Maybe a bit more depending on how you have it stored.

Nov 21, 2004 at 4:31 PM Post #5 of 18
The Firefox suggestion is a good idea as well. You can get spyware using IE through no fault of your own.

I would suggest you get the Norton Systemworks suite. It includes Ghost, Antivirus, SpeedDisk (defrag program) and a few other things. I picked up my copy online somewhere for ~$10.

Nov 21, 2004 at 4:35 PM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by bg4533
I would suggest you get the Norton Systemworks suite. It includes Ghost, Antivirus, SpeedDisk (defrag program) and a few other things.

Speedstick? I should check that out.
tongue.gif

Seriously.

Nov 21, 2004 at 4:59 PM Post #9 of 18
add a hosts file (add IP addresses of objectionable sites
wink.gif
)
enable a firewall
disable their using IE (remove the desktop icon)
install & tweak FireFox (set to default browser)
disable GAIM / Instant Messaging / MSN / Yahoo etc.
enable passwords
password the Admin account
create a restricted account for your kids
create a restricted password protected acount for internet surfing
create a restricted password protected account for emails
create a restricted password protected account for work
image copy your drives
create restore points every 3 days

set aside every Tuesday for system maintenance - security updates, driver updates, full anti vir / worm / trojan run, clean up & defrag

ask your teachers to pour on the homework for Tuesday nights.

buy a PS2, GC or XBox

buy them PC games so that they don't go looking for trouble

Nov 21, 2004 at 5:34 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChickenScrtchBoy
SpeedDisk
icon10.gif

I hate defragging with the Windows' one. This one do the job, fast and effective?

I don't know how to evaluate a defragger except based on what they claim. Norton claims SpeedDisk optimizes things by putting files in certain places for more effecient access. I can tell if my drive is horribly fragmented, but not a difference between defrag programs.

Speeddisk is easy to use, gives you some analysis tools beyond Windows defragger and also gives you the ability to place things where you want on the drive.

Personally I schedule SpeedDisk and Antivirus to run at 4am. Each night a different partition is defraged and antivirus is run.

Nov 21, 2004 at 5:35 PM Post #11 of 18
I would give system works a big pass if I were you. I have had it destroy systems and I am not the only one.

But to the origional problem. What I do and suggest strongly is setting up a dual boot system. Put the next boot in its own partition or harddrive and let them detroy their own partition. I like this approach better than multi accounts as it requires less fiddling on my part.

Ghost (ok system works has a couple of good apps) the parttion once you set it up and restore it when they whine about how bad their system is working. If you want to be real nice about it you could save their game saves for them if they are too young to figure it out.

This strategy had worked with my 10 year old for about two years now. He knows how to properly reboot and to start his system. A friend's 5 year old can handle that.

The thing about this is it keeps you system clean period. It is allowed by the MS EULA, at least Microsoft tells me so and they should know.

Nov 21, 2004 at 6:26 PM Post #12 of 18
I had the same problem with my older brother (
biggrin.gif
), I just made an account for him and disabled all writing privilidges outside his own directory. I'm too lazy to log off, so he uses my accout anyway, but it did cut down on stupid installs/uninstalls. I use Win2kpro

Nov 21, 2004 at 11:29 PM Post #13 of 18
so how do I make different accounts on ME.. I know on XP, but wasn't aware of the feature on 98SE/ME. If that works, I will make a different account for each kid and that way they all can be responsible for their own programs.

Thanks for the info so far... keep it coming!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back